• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any differences with flying with bigger planes?

SL6827

DIS Veteran
Right now we are "scheduled" to fly in and back on a 767-400 with Delta. I have never flown on that big of a plane before. Wondering if much is different with a bigger plane verses a normal size plane?

Other than the obvious - more seats (7 across with 3 in the middle) and a bigger first class cabin - there isn't much difference. Is there anything more specific you want to know?

Takes longer to board and to deplane. Often the flight is smoother. At one time the amenities were better on a big plane than a normal size one, but right now there are no amenities to speak of.

Other than the obvious - more seats (7 across with 3 in the middle) and a bigger first class cabin - there isn't much difference. Is there anything more specific you want to know?

Takes longer to board and to deplane. Often the flight is smoother. At one time the amenities were better on a big plane than a normal size one, but right now there are no amenities to speak of.
My husband said the bigger the plane, the smoother the ride potential.

On the 7-6, the seating configuration can be a plus if you are in the outer seats. As mentioned above, the configuration is 2-3-2, so the outer seats are window and aisle. For a couple, those are ideal.

Not sure all you are asking, but know Delta has a maximum restricted capacity (Covid) for each specific aircraft type and sub category. There is a small amount of “surge” capacity as needed to help deal with unexpected events, mis-connects etc. But, the plane will not be full just because it is a wide body. You may enjoy a more comfortable ride due to the mass of the aircraft - About double its 757/737 cousins. Enjoy:

My main interest with what kind of plane is the entertainment choices. The larger planes (generally) have seat back screens with games & movies, as well as BYOD Wifi. Medium (and some small) planes will just have the BYOD, and the smaller you go, the less chance of having on demand movies/shows w/BYOD.

I’ve never really noticed any difference other than more seats and people. I’ve only been on planes that big for transatlantic flights so I associate them with long flights and not very comfortable naps in economy haha

seats are "usually" larger on a bigger plane, compared to a RJ. Slower to get on/off due to more people, but usually a smoother ride too.

Big planes feel a little less claustrophobic to me. The ceilings are usually a little higher and it feels like there is just a little more space. But besides that, there really isn't much of a difference. They may have more entertainment options, but it honestly depends on the airline and how old the plane is. For example, a smaller but newer JetBlue plane might have more options than an older and larger Delta.

Expect it to take longer to load, unload and get your luggage.
The bigger plans seemed to not react to turbulence as much.
Haven't been able to fly on one of the larger ones for quite a few years ( not available in our area).
No idea on differences in entertainment.

Flight down there on the 767 was a bit rough. And the landing, holy crap!!
Flight back on the smaller plane, smooth as butter, lol!! And the landing, wonderful!!

But all is good. It is just funny how it went exactly opposite as I thought it would.:teeth:

Flight down there on the 767 was a bit rough. And the landing, holy crap!!
Flight back on the smaller plane, smooth as butter, lol!! And the landing, wonderful!!

But all is good. It is just funny how it went exactly opposite as I thought it would.:teeth:
That's a weather thing, not an aircraft size thing. Weather happens to all aircraft and all airlines.

Ya, but what about the landing? Never landed so hard. I was thinking it was the size of it.
No, if the weather is difficult it's also difficult on landing.

And it can sneak up on you. I flew one time from Miami to Tallahassee in a medium sized aircraft. The flight was fine, but I honestly think the landing was the closest I've ever come to having a plane crash. We were almost down and suddenly the nose went up, we tilted to the right, then back and then had a very bumpy landing. I've never been so happy to get off an airplane!

The other thing about landings is that it doesn't have to be a big event to cause a rough touchdown. The pilot is easing the landing gear toward the runway almost inch by inch, and all of a sudden a gust lifts the plane up a few feet and then back down. Bam! Rough landing.

But it's not an aircraft problem.

No, if the weather is difficult it's also difficult on landing.

And it can sneak up on you. I flew one time from Miami to Tallahassee in a medium sized aircraft. The flight was fine, but I honestly think the landing was the closest I've ever come to having a plane crash. We were almost down and suddenly the nose went up, we tilted to the right, then back and then had a very bumpy landing. I've never been so happy to get off an airplane!
The weather was just about 15-20 minutes of rough air. On and off. My husband was on a flight that he thought was going to crash. Luggage falling out of the overhead and all. It was a flight that Delta should not have flown, they knew it was going to be bad. Every flight after that one was cancelled.

Ya, but what about the landing? Never landed so hard. I was thinking it was the size of it.
Lol!!! I gotta laugh about that. One never knows how “smooth” a landing will be. That’s how passengers judge a landing, but not *necessarily* how a pilot would judge it. The pilot actually puts the plane in a position to land, but has little control of the outcome.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter