any Disney Quest tips for mobility impaired?

dj2

all my little ducks in a row...
i want to try DQ on our upcoming trip. any advice?

we'll be visiting in january, and will go early and on a sunny day, to avoid rainy day crowds as much as possible. is it difficult to manuever an ecv through the building? do you have to stand for any of the attractions? are elevators easily available? i have MS and have balance, strength and stamina issues, and some tactile sensations make me uncomfortable...are there attractions that you'd recommend i avoid or be cautious about? what did you love that DD11 and i should try?

thanks much!

dj

We haven't been to Disney Quest, so I can't answer your question.
I'm bumping this up for more answers.

thanks, sue.

i did find a few tips on some other threads and websites about "rides" where balance is an issue. was hoping for some more insights before we left, but can wait and see when we get inside. that'll be fun, too!

i'll post how it went once we've tried it.

dj

Originally posted by dj2
i'll post how it went once we've tried it.

dj
Thanks. If we can't help you, at least you can help other people.
You might want to just bump this up once a week or so until you go. Maybe someone who hasn't seen it before will have more info.

dj2 said:
i want to try DQ on our upcoming trip. any advice?

we'll be visiting in january, and will go early and on a sunny day, to avoid rainy day crowds as much as possible. is it difficult to manuever an ecv through the building? do you have to stand for any of the attractions? are elevators easily available? i have MS and have balance, strength and stamina issues, and some tactile sensations make me uncomfortable...are there attractions that you'd recommend i avoid or be cautious about? what did you love that DD11 and i should try?

thanks much!

dj

Cash and I did DQ in January. In a word, not worth it for me. Not much was accessible, the building was very difficult to navigate...many levels connected by stairs with elevators difficult to find...I felt like Alice in Wonderland. The employees were as helpful as possible within their "areas". TIP: Ask for a guide as soon as you show or buy your ticket to enter.

Sorry to hear it wasn't very friendly. I was afraid of that. I'd read that there were "many levels connected by stairs with elevators difficult to find" somewhere else, too. Thanks for the tip about getting the guide right away. I'll try to study floor plans before we go, but I have the feeling that the inside of the building will be decorated in such a way that we'll have to be there to understand it.

thanks for posting,
dj

is this the place where you can make your own video game? Or is that in Epcot? I really hope it is Epcot because DS12 in a wc has his heart set on doing this. I know I aman over protecive mother but I try to make sure the enviornment my son is going to be in is as handicapped accessable as posible, or steer him somewhere else.

I used to work at Quest! The cast is very accomadating to wheelchairs and Ecv's at least when i was their two years ago. yes the building has many stairs thier are two elevaters in the whole building that goes to every floor they are on the replay and score side of the building in the center. when on the thrid floor that would be buzz light year and mighty duck pinball slam. Yes a lot of the games are sensory games such as aladdin and ride the comix you are whereing a virtual reality helmet to play. At every game their is a way to acomodate a wheelchair a lot of the games i cant remember off hand which ones requier transfer in to a wheel chair from an ecv which they should have at each attraction. thats just my advice. Definatly talk to the cast members in the lobby they will tell you the best ways to get around and how to play each attraction... oh and i think you want epcot for the desing your own video game iv never herd of this we had creat your own rollar coaster and creat a cd the art easles and an animation class.

thanks Angelgirl.

anyone else??

thx,
dj

just over 2 weeks away! i'm SOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!!

i thought i'd bump this one last time just in case.

thx,
dj

and had fun!!!

i'll be happy to try to answer questions if anyone has any.

Best thing i learned is that they can stop the floor from moving on the Pirates ride. I was able to play it that way. if the floor had been moving, i'd have been on the floor with bruises!

it wasn't that hard to fiind our way around inside. might have been more confusing if we'd used the stairs, but just using the elevators made it pretty easy to see where we were.

i still have some mobility, so i found it easier to park the scooter in each zone and walk from game to game, then drive to the next zone. second day i took the walker instead of the scooter and it ended up being for the best, since it was a saturday and it was much more crowded than the first day (a tuesday).

buzz did not cause me motion sickness. aladdin did a little, but remnants of optic neuritis make 3D games a little less effective on me. DD hates anything 3D, so we skipped the comix. she didn't want to try the jungle cruise, either. the coasters we built were level one, very tame. it was a little difficult to get into/out of the simulator for me, but doable. the human pinball game was doable for me because your feet don't move, you just jerk your body (using your arms/shoulders) forward and back. although it wasn't really a favorite of mine, i did it twice so DD wouldn't have to play alone-it was that EMPTY in the building! we liked and had no trouble with learning how to draw minnie mouse (but unlike at mgm, you have to pay to keep your drawing). DD also liked creating a song (which we videotaped during playback since we weren't going to buy the cd!). one of the 4 sound booths was larger to accomodate a wheelchair. it was fun to play the "old" video games - pac man, donkey kong jr, space invaders, asteroids, etc. skeeball was free on the 5th floor (no prizes) or pay on the 4th floor (win prizes).

going mid-week in january in the middle of the day we often had NO LINES for even the most popular things. and less people made it much easier to navigate. when we returned on saturday, it was a very different place, much more people. we would not have had as much fun if it had been our first visit. and i'm guessing that even that was "light" compared with DQ at night and during the summer.

dj

Thanks DJ, we are going to WDW in four days and hope to get to DQ this time for the children. Like you I have mobility issues and wondered how I would cope, now I know I'll be fine (I had visions of sitting all on my own in the food area all day because of unsuitability/high crowds). We are there end Jan/beg. Feb. which issupposed to be light for crowds so we will go midweek (and not on a rainy day) and hopefully all will be fine.

Sue

i forgot to mention---Lynda was absolutely right - you need to ask for a guide when you enter the building. they weren't sitting out anywhere. the guides were helpful. they're also posted on the walls of the elevators. (thanks Lynda!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter