Any early March DVCers?

AMI

Earning My Ears
Hi - I sure am enjoying reading all of this stuff! It's addictive though. My family usually travels to WDW end of April/early May. This year the weather was actually 4 degrees colder than in Wisconsin where we live. Anyway, we bought OKW resale recently and are considering visiting in early March. We've never done this before so we are interested in hearing if anyone visits at this time regularly - how is the weather/utmost importance - how are the nights, can you swim usually, etc. - how does it compare to end of April weather? We've read all of the temperature/rainfall charts but would also like other people's opinions. Also, how are the crowds and are there enough parades, etc.? I realize Easter is at end of March this year so it will change things/crowds, etc. Is first week of march a huge spring break week yet?

Also, are there any DVCers out there who have regularly taken their grade school children out of school each year? We have a 1st and 3rd grader and have done so each year, but feel that, as the older they get, this could prove to be tough (especially on DW who is the one who oversees the make-up work). I, however, will never regret taking them out so far - the break has actually been good for them, I feel. I would love to do this until they graduate from high school - has anyone done that? My 9-year old daughter is not the best student, but each year the teachers comment that they think the break did her good.

I can only discuss this year...its the first time I've been in early March. We were at WDW the first week of March. My first trip there in like 8 years. The weather was nice (relative to my hometown, which got 31" of snow while we were away!) , high in the 60's and windy in the beginning of the week, then about mid-70's later in the week (I think this is close to the average - mid-70's for early March - told it was in the 80's for a week or two before we got there). I wouldn't go swimming with those temps myself, but I know most kids would.

The parks were VERY uncrowded. Most rides had little to no wait (although we had a 9 month old with us at MK so we didn't even look at some rides). Test Track at EPCOT was about 45 minutes, so we used Fastpass. But other times we considered using Fastpass it wasn't even necessary since the wait was only like 5 minutes. Ate at Rainforest Cafe in Downtown Disney, had only 5 minute wait. The one night we were at the Boardwalk it was threatening rain a little and probably about 60, almost no one there. No wait to eat at the brew pub. Only saw one parade, but really didn't search any out. One drawback is that the International portion of EPCOT didn't open until 11 am the day we were there (I assume it opens earlier during busier times).

I liked it at that time....my wife was hoping for weather above 80 degrees and would prefer later March. From what I've heard, it sounds a lot more crowded then (then again, almost all times sound more crowded).

Early March can be very nice, or a bit cool. We've gone several years at that time, because my wife believes Winter will be gone in Michigan when we return.

It's almost always enjoyable during the daytime, although sometimes a light jacket is needed. Swimming or the hot tub is ok in the late afternoon or evening, as long as you have a robe or coverup to put on when you get out.

The parks are not crowded, which makes up for the cool weather.

Cap

For the past 4 years we have visited WDW the first week of March. The first 3 years the weather was great, give or take a day of cool and rain. This past year, 2001, it was cool the middle part of the week. We swam the first couple days and last couple of days. Did not stop us much except we had hoped to do some major water parking. The crowds are usually not that bad either. Some wait for the major rides, but that is what fastpass is for. The crowds in the parks do not seem bad at all. There is usually lots of walking space.

As for taking kids out of school. We have been doing it for 5 years. (DD is in 4th grade + DS in K). Two years we even took her out twice for WDW. We have always let teachers know about a month in advance, and we tell her she has to keep up all year for her to go. We would never leave her behind, but always threaten to and it works. Our kids are fairly healthy too. The only time both kids have been out this year is for 6 days at WDW. No sick days!!! We do homework: journals, reading or anything teachers send home for them to do each morning before leaving for the parks. They do lots on the plane too. Keeps them busy for the 2 1/2 trip. I do not feel guilty about any of this by the way. DD was studying the ocean before we left and at EPCOT she got to help at the dolphin exhibit. Did sign language in front of the crowd with the two dolphins and trainer. She learned more about dolphins in those 30 minutes than she could never do in class.

Hope this helps. Have fun.:cool: :cool:

We went to WDW during the second week of March this year. This was my son's Spring break. The parks were starting to get crowded then. Several FL counties also had their Spring break at that time. Our e-ticket night on Mar 13 was sold out--we had 15 min waits at virtually all of the rides. The weather was very nice, DH and DS did Blizzard Beach on Mar 13 and it was downright hot that day--I saw many sun-burned faces. We went to Disney Quest during the on an overcast Wednesday (Mar 14) and it was totally packed. I don't think we'll do the parks again in March.

If you're going to take your kids out of school anyway, why don't you go in early Dec or May. That's what we're doing next year.

Just my two cents

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter