• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any event occurring Dec 2-5?

ChloroformSdxn

Mouseketeer
I was originally looking at a weekend in November, but then had to change plans. I've noticed the hotels I was looking at about about 2.5x the price - is there a specific event happening that weekend in Anaheim/USA (non-American, the only thing that comes to mind is you lot have Thanksgiving the week prior?) Or are hotels going to be this price throughout the month of December? I haven't gone to Disney during the Christmas season for a few years now.

I'm mainly wondering if this means that the entire weekend will be a zoo? Would it be better to go on Thanksgiving weekend - the hotels seem to be closer to average price then? My understanding is that most ppl tend to stay home w family for that one rather than going on a vacation. Thank you very much!

I'm not sure what prices you're seeing, but yes, the Candlelight Processional is that weekend and it draws a large crowd. It's also just a popular time to go because of the holiday decorations, food, etc. Beyond that, I'm not sure what else is going on but I believe there is also a very large convention happening around then.

I generally go right after the CP weekend and it's usually pretty nice. Maybe you could check on going with Dec 4 or 5 as your start date and see what the prices and availability look like. I'll be there Dec 7-11, which is about the time I go every year, but I've no idea what it's going to look like this year! Everything is getting difficult to predict.

Candlelight Professional is probably the main culprit, but there's also a large ASHP conference in Anaheim from 12/3-7 which inevitably drives up hotel prices. A subset of those folks may also visit the parks the weekends before or after.

OK that's helpful, thank yoiu! I'm debating shifting to a week later in the Xmas season (usually btwn American Thanksgiving and Dec 15 has usually been good for me to travel in the US because it's btwn the two holidays), or going *ON* Thanksgiving wknd. It seems to me that most ppl who travel on that holiday weekend are doing so to see family (maybe Black Friday shopping?), as opposed to travelling to theme parks or whatnot.

I've been to the parks during ASHP several times before (because how can I go to ASHP and NOT go to the parks :teeth:) and don't think the conference itself has a big impact on the parks. It does, however, have a big impact on the area hotels (as you're seeing) and attendees are able to book discounted hotels (hello $310/nt at DLH and $364/nt at GCH) for several days before the conference starts and through the weekend after. If you can shift your dates slightly (based on conference hotel availability I'd consider starting your trip on 12/5 or after) I think you'll be fine.

Obviously Candlelight will have a bigger impact on the park itself for that weekend but it's still manageable. I'd look at some of the other threads on here about CP and how to manage it if you're still considering those dates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter