Any experience flying from MSP to Orlando?

mrsgthatsme

Mouseketeer
We are considering driving to Minneapolis to fly out of MSP at the end of April. I have never flown out of this airport and had a few questions... first, what is the parking situation like? We would be leaving a car for a week and wondered how convenient the less expensive parking is and how long we would need to plan for travel from the parking area to the delta terminal. Also, what would you consider a good fare to be for a direct flight from MSP to MCO? Thanks so much!

I fly out of MSP every week so I can help you out!

The Value parking is part of the MSP airport, but it's at Terminal 2. It's pretty easy to park and there are lots of covered spaces. It's at Terminal 2, so if you need to go to Terminal 1 for Delta you can take the Lightrail one stop over there for free (it's no cost between airports). It honestly adds maybe 15 minutes to your travel time. You park, get on the lightrail on the ground floor (I usually park on that floor), then take it one stop to Terminal 1. You end up where the buses come in, so you have to go up some escalators and take a mini-tram to the terminal. Pretty easy and self-explanatory. There's even a sneaky Delta check in counter on the lower level where the mini-tram drops you off.

There are other parking lots as well that are off-site and they generally have a van that takes you into the airport. I haven't really used these so I can't comment. I would assume to add maybe 30 min to your travel time just to be safe?

For Delta if you purchase a few months in advance it's pretty reasonable to find a fare for ~$300. Remember that you also have to pay for checked luggage. I would caution you about the Basic Economy fare. Yes it's cheapest, but you don't get you select your seat in advance (they assign it at the gate). If you're traveling with children they will not necessarily seat you together. I've seen MANY flights where parents are freaking out about this on the plane and trying to switch with people who have purchased their seat, which rarely works out for them.

Let me know if you have more questions!

I fly out of MSP every week so I can help you out!

The Value parking is part of the MSP airport, but it's at Terminal 2. It's pretty easy to park and there are lots of covered spaces. It's at Terminal 2, so if you need to go to Terminal 1 for Delta you can take the Lightrail one stop over there for free (it's no cost between airports). It honestly adds maybe 15 minutes to your travel time. You park, get on the lightrail on the ground floor (I usually park on that floor), then take it one stop to Terminal 1. You end up where the buses come in, so you have to go up some escalators and take a mini-tram to the terminal. Pretty easy and self-explanatory. There's even a sneaky Delta check in counter on the lower level where the mini-tram drops you off.

There are other parking lots as well that are off-site and they generally have a van that takes you into the airport. I haven't really used these so I can't comment. I would assume to add maybe 30 min to your travel time just to be safe?

For Delta if you purchase a few months in advance it's pretty reasonable to find a fare for ~$300. Remember that you also have to pay for checked luggage. I would caution you about the Basic Economy fare. Yes it's cheapest, but you don't get you select your seat in advance (they assign it at the gate). If you're traveling with children they will not necessarily seat you together. I've seen MANY flights where parents are freaking out about this on the plane and trying to switch with people who have purchased their seat, which rarely works out for them.

Let me know if you have more questions!
Thank you SO much for all of the helpful information! That is awesome! Sounds like the value lot is the way to go. We will have an 8 year old and 11 year old... would you suggest having my husband drop us off at the main terminal and then go park and meet up with us, or is that more hassle than its worth? Sounds like basic economy is out. Good to know. Right now our flights are $316 pp for main cabin and we are exactly 3 months out. Sounds like we are in the ballpark... wonder if we should wait it out a week or two and see what things do? Thanks again for taking the time to share your helpful experiences!

Thank you SO much for all of the helpful information! That is awesome! Sounds like the value lot is the way to go. We will have an 8 year old and 11 year old... would you suggest having my husband drop us off at the main terminal and then go park and meet up with us, or is that more hassle than its worth? Sounds like basic economy is out. Good to know. Right now our flights are $316 pp for main cabin and we are exactly 3 months out. Sounds like we are in the ballpark... wonder if we should wait it out a week or two and see what things do? Thanks again for taking the time to share your helpful experiences!

I think it would probably be easier for you all to just go together (but you know your family!). It's kind of a ways and you'd have to wait in the lobby of the ticketing area for probably 20-30 min waiting for your husband where there aren't a ton of places to sit. Plus I know my younger siblings always LOVED riding the lightrail when they were younger. Might be kinda fun for them. :)

In my experience 3 months out it will probably only go higher rather than drop (though most likely it will stay the same for a while). I would only expect a drop in the weeks prior to the flight (but that's not a guarantee). I would probably purchase now! Have fun!

My husband and I fly out of MSP on our yearly trips to WDW. We fly from N. Mn. to MSP, then catch a flight to MCO.
It is usually more money for us to fly down to the cities, but it saves us 4 to 5 hours of driving each way!
We usually pay 550 each, or close to that, roundtrip from n. Mn to Orlando
However, this time we caught a deal with Delta and got tickets from N. Mn. to Orlando via MSP for 379each!!!! So we are happy.
Always fly Delta and they are great.
We don't drive and park, so no help there.
I think your flights of 300 each is a good price, and as a PP said, will probably go up as the time gets closer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter