• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any experience w/Molloscum?

Tattylou

DIS Veteran
My 9 year old DS has Molloscum. Primary care confirmed it. We tried apple cider vinegar home remedy suggested by the primary, which was helpful. Took him to a dermatologist who froze them off bc there were so many - there were 44. We went for the 2nd treatment yesterday and she froze off 20 more. We have another appt in 3 weeks. I'm told it is a virus and can last months to years. Primary care said it is ok to swim in chlorine pool. Dermatologist said it's NOT ok to swim in pool. We are going to Florida next month and DS will be devastated if he can't be in the pool. Luckily, we are staying right on the beach too so he can go in the ocean, but if all the other kids are in the pool he will be so sad and feel left out. He is just a little boy and we are all looking forward to the trip. Anyone been through this? Any words of wisdom or insight? Any thoughts re: pool? Thanks.

I had never heard of this, so I Google it really quick to see what it was. One of the very first things I saw on the article I read about it is that it can be spread in swimming pools, so I would say he probably should be in the pool for risk of spreading it to other kids.

My 9 year old DS has Molloscum. Primary care confirmed it. We tried apple cider vinegar home remedy suggested by the primary, which was helpful. Took him to a dermatologist who froze them off bc there were so many - there were 44. We went for the 2nd treatment yesterday and she froze off 20 more. We have another appt in 3 weeks. I'm told it is a virus and can last months to years. Primary care said it is ok to swim in chlorine pool. Dermatologist said it's NOT ok to swim in pool. We are going to Florida next month and DS will be devastated if he can't be in the pool. Luckily, we are staying right on the beach too so he can go in the ocean, but if all the other kids are in the pool he will be so sad and feel left out. He is just a little boy and we are all looking forward to the trip. Anyone been through this? Any words of wisdom or insight? Any thoughts re: pool? Thanks.

My son had this as a small child. I don't remember the exact treatment I think a lose dose antibiotic. I do know it lasted around 3-4 weeks. We did not do the freeze them off since he was an only child and not in school yet.

Good Luck

My son had this as a small child. I don't remember the exact treatment I think a lose dose antibiotic. I do know it lasted around 3-4 weeks. We did not do the freeze them off since he was an only child and not in school yet.

Good Luck

It's a virus so there is no antibiotic that will treat it. I wish there was. I wonder what they gave you for him. Thank you!

This is helpful. If he has only a few left, the water proof bandages may be an option. Hopefully it will be gone by then bc the trip is in 5 weeks, but I was told it typically takes months for your body immune system to recognize it and finally fight it off. I'm grateful we have the beach too bc both doctors said ocean is fine and that it might even help. The poor kid. This has been a pretty gruelling ordeal for him and he is self conscious about them too.

I think waterproof bandages are a solid idea. Do you have other children in the house? If so try to prevent the spread of it through towels, bedsheets, bathtub, etc. 9 is old enough to understand not letting someone else use his towel but if you have younger kids they sometimes will just grab whatever towel is around. Molluscum is unfortunate but it's not uncommon and it will eventually go away.

I think waterproof bandages are a solid idea. Do you have other children in the house? If so try to prevent the spread of it through towels, bedsheets, bathtub, etc. 9 is old enough to understand not letting someone else use his towel but if you have younger kids they sometimes will just grab whatever towel is around. Molluscum is unfortunate but it's not uncommon and it will eventually go away.

Thanks. Yeah, he has a 7 year old brother. They've both been told no sharing towels or clothes. They take showers so the tub isn't an issue. Derm and primary said most adults are immune so little brother is the one to watch. Luckily, his brother doesn't show any signs.

My daughter had this when she was younger. The dr only wanted to treat if they were on her face, which thankfully they weren’t. I don’t think we were ever advised to stay out of pools.

DD11 had them about 5 years ago. It took months to get rid of them. The dermatologist used an ointment that would cause them to blister and eventually "die" so to speak. We were also told not to let her go in the swimming pool because they could be passed on to other kids that way. We had considered the liquid bandaids for her but thankfully they cleared up before our trip.

DD11 had them about 5 years ago. It took months to get rid of them. The dermatologist used an ointment that would cause them to blister and eventually "die" so to speak. We were also told not to let her go in the swimming pool because they could be passed on to other kids that way. We had considered the liquid bandaids for her but thankfully they cleared up before our trip.

I would be so relieved if they were gone by our trip, but I feel like it is unlikely bc he has so many and it's only 5 weeks out. The freezing makes them blister too. I'm just so sad if he can't just enjoy his trip in every capacity. We are going with best friends with kids the same age and he will feel so left out if he can not be in the pool, especially at night. At least we have the beach in the day most of the trip...except the Disney part. That'll be so hard for a little kid to go to Disney and not be able to go in the pool. It's making me so sad. I have a lump in my throat today.

My youngest had them. It did take several months before her body started fighting them itself. We actually went all scientific experiment on her, trying different home remedies on different parts of her body. Apple cider vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, and tea tree oil did nothing. Zyma -derm worked best of the over the counter remedies.

I think What helped the most was the blister beetle juice the dermatologist used. She had two treatments. It still took a while for her immune system to kick in after, though.

My DD had these. They were so gross. It took a good 6+ months to go away. I tried apple cider vinegar too plus son OTC stuff I found on Amazon. That stuff actually caused one of them to get infected (staph) so then she had to go on antibiotics. Ironically that seemed to finally trigger a strong immune system response and they went away shortly after.

I would say if can cover them with the water bandages then it should be ok to swim

It's a virus so there is no antibiotic that will treat it. I wish there was. I wonder what they gave you for him. Thank you!

You know after talking to his aunt, a nurse, I think you are right it was some kind of cream. I do remember thinking he had chickenpox and was surprised by the diagnosis. I had never heard of them before that. My memory is of a 3 yo who is now 33 LOL!!

I would avoid the pool. Not only for the safety of others(you have no idea how well the chlorine levels are maintained) but also for him. His immune system is already working to fight the virus, so I wouldn't risk him picking up something else in a public pool.

I hope you guys still in enjoy the trip!

Ds19 had it one summer, I believe the dermatologist just kept freezing them off. I think he also stayed out of the pool, even though we spent every day at the pool club, he was fine.

I know your son will be disappointed not to swim in the pool, but devastated is a strong word. Lots of kids have to stay out, ds15 spent 6 weeks in a leg cast one summer (even at his end of elementary school swim party) and all of my girls have had to watch from the sidelines before figuring out the whole tampon thing (like at dd21’s 13th birthday swim party). Hopefully they will have a lot of ocean time. Ds and his friends came up with some creative pool games for those 6 weeks!

I got them 19 years ago, actually from other kids in the pool at Disneyland! So I would absolutely keep him out of the pool if they are still around by the trip.

I think we left most of them to clear up on their own, although the doctor did treat some on the inside of my elbow (I think maybe by cutting them open though?) and they did leave scars, although obviously they’re not noticeable there.

We just got rid off DD's (11 years old). She had about 6 that were near her ribs. The pediatrician told us we could wait to get rid of them and let them run their course OR use Retin A. After waiting for a while she DD decided she wanted the Retin A. That got rid of them QUICKLY. And once they "burst" she used peroxide to dry them out. But -- make sure to just dab it on the spot itself and NOT rub it all over. We made that mistake at first. She is very happy to get rid of them as we are in dance season and she didn't like having them show with her costumes on.

The pediatrician did not mention anything about staying out of swimming pools at all when she prescribed the meds.

My daughter had it and got it from a water park. Do NOT let them swim in a public pool. It lasted over a year and was in a private area. It was one of the worst experiences of my life. Please do your part to prevent anyone else from getting it. Having these frozen in a private area was something no one should have to go through. Please please do your part..

My daughter had it and got it from a water park. Do NOT let them swim in a public pool. It lasted over a year and was in a private area. It was one of the worst experiences of my life. Please do your part to prevent anyone else from getting it. Having these frozen in a private area was something no one should have to go through. Please please do your part..

This. DD11 had hers mainly on her tushy and up her back. She had them for months before we got the treatment. We just thought it was a rash and when we couldn't get rid of it I took her in and the dermatologist told us it would go away on its own but it could take 2 plus years and the treatments available weren't very comfortable. We decided since they were already bothering her to go ahead with the treatment. She had to have 7 or 8 treatments to get rid of them and the spots were so sore afterwards she had trouble sitting at her desk at school the next day.

OP, keep your son out of the pool. I understand he will be disappointed but try to think how angry you would be if your son were going through this because another parent knowingly let their child with this issue swim in the pool and passed it on to your son. Liquid band aids may be a viable option to prevent their transmission. If the doctor okays that then great. If not, then unfortunately he will need to stay out of the pool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter