Any experience with a high school IB-Career Training program?

5lilfish

DIS Veteran
Both of my twin sophomores are highly artistic and both are A students in honors classes. Both girls have been recommended for the IB-CT program. Neither was interesting in the IB program but this Career Training program has us intrigued. They would be applying to the Graphic/Media designs track if we decide to go this route. One would eventually love to be an animator but will probably go to college for something like Graphic/Media Arts and try to focus on animation (wider career path options). The other wants to go for Graphic/Media Arts with the plan of going on for a Master's Degree in something like Industrial Design, Video Game Design or Package Design. She enjoys the technical side of art along with the artistic side.
B-Career Training? Does it make sense for a very strong students to go this route? Benefits? Drawbacks?

We live in Florida. Both girls are on track to qualify for the state's Bright Futures Scholarship. Does that come into play when making this decision?

Any advice, suggestions, or tips appreciated....

My older son went to a Math, Science and Technology magnet school. It was very hard to get into and sold as a fast track to college. It turned out to be the opposite for a lot of those kids. They made the required curriculum so hard that a lot of the really smart kids ended up making C’s or worse in the required AP classes and ended up at lesser colleges due to their GPA’s being lower.

I would take a look at the required curriculum. With my son’s program, they were required to take AP classes in areas they might not be strong in. No exceptions. Make sure the curriculum matches your girls strengths.

They ended up with a fancy Magnet school degree, which was useless for some because of their lower GPA’s. If I had to do it again, it would be a hard pass.

Thanks... Sounds a little different than the IB-Career program, but I understand what you are saying. The core academic requirements for my daughter's wouldn't really change. They'd just focus their other classes on a career path (in their case, digital/media arts). They would have an added project and also some career focused volunteer work.

The IBCP is an excellent program. Practical and engaging and tailored to the student!
Thank you…. So you think the program is good for a strong student with college plans?

The girls would both do the web multimedia program. One is interested in animation. The other something like industrial design or game design.

Thank you…. So you think the program is good for a strong student with college plans?

The girls would both do the web multimedia program. One is interested in animation. The other something like industrial design or game design.
It depends on the school, but my previous school offered a fabulous program.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter