Any general aviation pilots that fly their families to WDW on here?

DduzDis

DIS Veteran
I am thinking about flying my family for our trip next year and just wondered if anyone on these boards has done it.

That is impressive, what plane do you have? Can you come and collect me from UK next August?

That is impressive, what plane do you have? Can you come and collect me from UK next August?

I am part of a flying club with several planes we can take for trips. But, I am afraid the UK would be beyond mine and the planes' capabilities at this juncture. :)

Am not a private pilot but really would like to be and have looked at what it would take to fly there. I think you'd want to fly into KISM or maybe even KSFB.

Am not a private pilot but really would like to be and have looked at what it would take to fly there. I think you'd want to fly into KISM or maybe even KSFB.

KISM is where I would plan to go. I have read good reviews of an FBO there. Our trip is planned for November and I wondered what weather is normally like. I plan to have an instrument rating by then, but thunderstorms can still be a grounding event. I don't want to be stuck for days. Don't get me wrong we would have APs and plenty to do to keep busy, but work is going to want me back at some point. :)

Sounds like you are well aware of what needs to be done. Would be a great adventure for sure!

Sounds like you are well aware of what needs to be done. Would be a great adventure for sure!

I hope so! I think I know what I am doing, but checking to see if anyone has experience that can poke holes in my plan. I fly by myself frequently but flying with the family presents new challenges.

I hope so! I think I know what I am doing, but checking to see if anyone has experience that can poke holes in my plan. I fly by myself frequently but flying with the family presents new challenges.

I’m not a pilot but I work in the GA/Biz Av industry. I’ve also heard some good things about KISM as well but I also know a lot people choose to fly into KMCO simply because of all of the added resources. The one perk to that would be that the FBO shuttle could probably run you over to pick up ME if that was something g you were wanting rather than getting a car or Uber.

From a weather perspective the only major thing that I can think about is what options the FBO will have for you in terms of ramp and/or hangar space and for how much $$. There was also a funny story about a Gator being on one of the runways at KORL last year. Not your typical runway excursion culprit!

What are you planning on flying down?

I’m not a pilot but I work in the GA/Biz Av industry. I’ve also heard some good things about KISM as well but I also know a lot people choose to fly into KMCO simply because of all of the added resources. The one perk to that would be that the FBO shuttle could probably run you over to pick up ME if that was something g you were wanting rather than getting a car or Uber.

From a weather perspective the only major thing that I can think about is what options the FBO will have for you in terms of ramp and/or hangar space and for how much $$. There was also a funny story about a Gator being on one of the runways at KORL last year. Not your typical runway excursion culprit!

What are you planning on flying down?

I'll do a little more research on KMCO vs KISM. I'll fly through the class B either way and I have to maneuver around plenty of the big guys at my home airport (Class C). I would likely tie down unless there was unexpected hail. I think Uber may be the way to go. Arrival day times are pretty flexible. But, if I am trying to get out ahead of a storm I may not be able to wait for ME back to MCO. But, hopefully somebody has run this exercise and can post their experiences here.

We get plenty of runway incursion scenarios here in KLIT but never a gator (so far). Haha!

We have access to anything from a C172 (not likely for this trip KLIT --> KMCO/KISM) to a couple of Mooneys (most likely one of these) or a Cirrus (very nice flyer, but $$ to rent for a week).

I would definitely use KISM. It’s a great little airport and will be more accommodating with potentially lower fees than KMCO. I usually park at Signature and they are very nice, but I’m always in a Citation for work. I wouldn’t mind buying a small plane for this reason though. We live in Pensacola and it would be quicker than driving. I don’t think thunderstorms will be much of a problem in November compared to this time of year. I think it’s great you are getting your instrument rating. Too many people stop at just their private. Please make sure that you get some good experience and are comfortable with IFR before heading out with your family. Good luck on getting your instrument.

I would definitely use KISM. It’s a great little airport and will be more accommodating with potentially lower fees than KMCO. I usually park at Signature and they are very nice, but I’m always in a Citation for work. I wouldn’t mind buying a small plane for this reason though. We live in Pensacola and it would be quicker than driving. I don’t think thunderstorms will be much of a problem in November compared to this time of year. I think it’s great you are getting your instrument rating. Too many people stop at just their private. Please make sure that you get some good experience and are comfortable with IFR before heading out with your family. Good luck on getting your instrument.

Thanks! I wouldn't mind flying a Citation down. Haha! I'll definitely be certain that I am comfortable in IMC before doing a trip like this with family. After being grounded for weather so much lately I am ready to get the added rating.

Thanks for the help!

...There was also a funny story about a Gator being on one of the runways at KORL last year. Not your typical runway excursion culprit!...
You'd think a graduate of U of Florida could get a better job than taking care of runways at small airports.

My parents are both pilots, and just recently sold a Saratoga because they rarely flew it anywhere. It was hard for them to make concrete plans to fly anywhere, because despite “instrument training” (i don’t personally know the first thing about flying!) the weather could evidently still ground them for days. They would do more spontaneous trips and day trips when weather allowed for them to fly. I think their plane was too small for all 8 of us, and our luggage too.

Well, sounds like a kick! Would love to motor around in a Cirrus! I can’t encourage you enough with that instrument rating. It was the most liberating/broadening and fun one of the bunch even though we rarely saw a cloud - Northern CA. As you well know flying the SE, early AM is your best bet for ride and convective activity. Be safe! And don’t let “Get home-itis” influence your decisions headed either direction! And definitely do a trip report!

Well, sounds like a kick! Would love to motor around in a Cirrus! I can’t encourage you enough with that instrument rating. It was the most liberating/broadening and fun one of the bunch even though we rarely saw a cloud - Northern CA. As you well know flying the SE, early AM is your best bet for ride and convective activity. Be safe! And don’t let “Get home-itis” influence your decisions headed either direction! And definitely do a trip report!

All very good points! I have yet to fly the Cirrus, but it is on the list of to dos to get checked out in. "Get home-itis" is a serious disease and we definitely do our best to avoid it. We build in a couple of days on either side of our vacation to mitigate it. A trip report...I almost forgot about that part.... great idea and it is going on the list!

All very good points! I have yet to fly the Cirrus, but it is on the list of to dos to get checked out in. "Get home-itis" is a serious disease and we definitely do our best to avoid it. We build in a couple of days on either side of our vacation to mitigate it. A trip report...I almost forgot about that part.... great idea and it is going on the list!
Sounds great! I have known a few folks that have had an airplane as the family truckster. I have a post up on the GA forum for my work group-pilots-asking about GA ops around MCO. I’ll let you know what I hear. Great change of pace thread by the way - not that I tire of the usual fare.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter