Any good recipes for fresh blueberries?

hegs65

DIS Veteran
I am dying to use my fresh blueberries but not sure what to make any ideas? Thanks!

BLUEBERRY CREAM CHEESE PIE

FILLING:
8-oz. cream cheese
1 (14-oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups fresh or dry-pack frozen blueberries, rinsed and drained
one graham cracker crust

use cream cheese when it is softened and pour sweetened condensed milk into it and beat with electric
mixer.......add lemon juice and vanilla extract and beat a few more minutes......pour into crust.......

refrigerate and add blueberries to the top when ready to serve......
this is my all time favorite

12 frozen tart shells, each about 3 inches (8 cm) in diameter
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup (125 mL) corn syrup
1 tsp (5 mL) lemon juice
3/4 tsp (3 mL) vanilla
1/3 cup (75 mL) brown sugar
1 tbsp (15 mL) all-purpose flour
3 tbsp (45 mL) melted butter
1 1/2 cups (375 mL) blueberries, preferably wild

Preheat oven to 375F (190C). Leave shells in foil cups and place on a baking sheet. In a large bowl, whisk egg with syrup,
juice and vanilla. In another bowl, stir sugar with flour. Stir into egg mixture along with butter. Divide berries equally
among shells. Pour in egg mixture, filling each shell right to top. Bake on bottom rack of 375F (190C) oven until bubbly and
top is a bit crusty, from 18 to 23 min. Tarts will firm up when cool and can be refrigerated 2 days. Makes 12 tarts.

Nutrients per tart
1.9 g protein,10 g fat, 28 g carbohydrates, 1.3 mg iron, 18 mg calcium, 0.8 g fibre, 206 calories.

MMMM YUMMY! I think the winner tonight shall be the pie! That sounds so good! Thanks!!

hey pumba, I just made the Sally Lunn bread from the liberty tree tavern. It will be out of the oven in 2 minutes. I'll let you know how it tastes. Thanks again, Patty

ccoking involved......make it alot for the summer months......and just change the berries......cherries....blueberries......raspberries......strawberries........it is delicious......but my most favorite is the blueberry one.........can hardly wait for the bread......let me know

Here's a favorite of mine I found in Good Houskeeping
a couple of years ago.

Double Blueberry Pie
We've updated an old New England classic with a spiced cookie crust.

Serves: 10
Work Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 38 minutes plus 5 hours to chill

30 gingersnaps
2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup sugar
5 tablespoons margarine or butter, melted
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3 pints blueberries
Whipped cream (optional)
1. In food processor with knife blade attached or in blender at high speed, blend gingersnaps and 2 tablespoons sugar until fine crumbs form.

2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In 9-inch pie plate, with fork, stir crumbs with melted margarine or butter until moistened. With hand, press mixture onto bottom and up side of pie plate, making a small rim. Bake crust 8 minutes. Cool crust on wire rack.

3. Meanwhile, in 2-quart saucepan, mix cornstarch with 2 tablespoons cold water until blended. Add half the blueberries and 1/2 cup sugar to cornstarch mixture; heat to boiling over medium-high heat, pressing blueberries against side of saucepan with back of spoon. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove saucepan from heat; stir in remaining blueberries.

4. Pour blueberry mixture into crust. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until well chilled, about 5 hours. Serve with whipped cream if you like.

Each serving without whipped cream: About 240 calories, 2 g protein, 42 g carbohydrate, 8 g total fat (2 g saturated), 0 mg cholesterol, 220 mg sodium.

Note:

I change the cookie crust to whatever taste I feel in the mood for.

I especially love doing it with an almond cookie crust.

The good news is.... that the bread came out great! It wasn't as sweet as I remember the rolls to be but it still tasted great. Maybe it was the butter that they served that added to the sweetness of the roll. They served the rolls with apple butter and I think a lemony-honey butter. I'll have to check that out.
Anyways, thanks to all who posted. I am going to try all of these recipes because my family loves blueberries! Happy eating! Patty

Ps. dt- that almond cookie crust sounds great! What is the brand name for the almond cookies you use? I don't believe I have ever seen them before.

The brand name is Amaretti di Saronno - you'll find them in gourmet shops, Italian specialty and around Christmas in most supermarkets.

They are in a tin box that is red with white lettering. Each cookie is individually wrapped - they are extremely hard and keep for a long time.

Once you've seen the tin box you'll always recognize them.

If you can't find them this is what I use:

Crust:

1-1/2 Cups Crushed Shortbread Cookies
1/4 Cup Finely Chopped Slivered Almonds
1/3 Cup Butter or Margarine, Melted

I also add one teaspoon of almond extract or a tablespoon of Armaretto, as I love almond flavors.

Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, stir together all Crust ingredients. Press on bottom and up sides of 9" pie pan. Bake for 8 minutes. Cool completely.

Note - this crust recipe is used in a Fresh Strawberry Almond Pie recipe which I'll post on its own

I also have a great Blueberry Cake I'll post for you too.

Thanks dt! That crust sounds wonderful! Hey I just noticed your from MA also- I'm in Beverly, (20 miles north of Boston)how about you? Thanks again, I will definately be looking for the next 2 recipes. patty

Hi,

Here's the Blueberry Cake recipe - I've been making it for 25 years.

I got it when I lived in NJ and it was on the back of a carton of blueberries from a farm some where there.

It is a simple and plain cake that everyone seems to enjoy.

BLUEBERRY CAKE

1/4 cup soft butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/4 cups sifted flour
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 egg
2 cups of floured blueberries - fresh or frozen

preheat oven to 350º
spray a 8x8x2 pan

Cream butter and sugar, add egg, beat well then add flour,salt,baking powder, add milk and mix. Fold in floured berries. Bake in 350º oven for 45 to 50 minutes. Serve warm or cool in pan.

I use egg beaters and skim milk with great results if you want to cut fat and calories.

If you want more blueberry recipes here's one I bookmarked from Epicurious:

http://www.epicurious.com/s97is.vts...mplate=recipe-results.hts&keyword=blueberries

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter