• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any idea how much data an average day with Maxpass might use?

alohamom

DIS Veteran
We are in Canada and trying to figure out how much data to add to my older kids cell phone plans for Disneyland.

I know there is WIFI in the parks but I also know it can be spotty.

They want to get Maxpass and I am just wondering if any one has a rough idea about how much data it might use up during an average full park day.

My daughter's plan offers a 100mb/day add on for a decent price but I am concerned it isnt enough.

Any ideas?

TIA folks!

the Wifi is terrible at best. I would normally say 100mb a day is fine for the average. But because using maxpass forces you to open the app which uses data to give you up to the minute updates on character locations, parade times, etc etc. Plus whatever other stuff she does on her phone on a regular basis. Its tough. I think it is doable. I guess it just depends on what else she does on her phone (twitter, instagram etc etc).

A tip i usually do when I'm going to the parks to save on data. When you are in the app itself, open up your ticket to see the barcode and screen cap it. Then set it as your lockscreen background. That way when you load the maxpass, you dont have to pull out the physical ticket everytime, it also makes sure you wont have to open the app everytime you need to scan it for the fastpass redemption. Also any apps that send automatic push notifications you should turn off. all of these in general dont take up much. But when you are tight data cap and want to make sure you dont go over, every little bit counts. Especially if you are going from Rope drop to closing.

I second the suggestion to just take a screenshot of the barcode for scanning when you get photos or use FPs. There was often a bunch of people standing in front of FP check in machines trying to open up the app and get to their FP on their phone. Getting to the screenshot in your phone's images would be faster and would save on data used each time the app is opened.

We were there for 4 days last week and the wifi didn't work most of the time. My Disneyland app used a total of 277 mb of data and I used the app a LOT.

I was wondering the same thing. Was your 277 mb total for the 4 days you were there? That doesn't seem too bad ... my add-on also gives 100mb per day, but I honestly don't even take my phone with me to the parks unless I have a specific reason. The app and wifi at WDW is great, but I've heard that DL isn't anything like that. We are kinda hoping that we won't need MAXpass for our upcoming trip, but we shall see. Get's expensive when there's 6 of us, not to mention the almost 40% exchange rate for us Canadians. OUCH !

My kid's plans don't include data, and I was honestly surprised how often they were able to connect to the WIFI. Do not underestimate resourceful teenagers who really want internet access. As for my phone, I think I used about 500mb over 3 days. I was the one using maxpass, photopass, and mobile ordering for all of us. We used our actual tickets to scan in ride queues.

I was wondering the same thing. Was your 277 mb total for the 4 days you were there? That doesn't seem too bad ... my add-on also gives 100mb per day, but I honestly don't even take my phone with me to the parks unless I have a specific reason. The app and wifi at WDW is great, but I've heard that DL isn't anything like that. We are kinda hoping that we won't need MAXpass for our upcoming trip, but we shall see. Get's expensive when there's 6 of us, not to mention the almost 40% exchange rate for us Canadians. OUCH !

The 277 mb actually includes more than the 4 days that we were at the park because I open it to look at wait times when I'm not there LOL. The wifi is always frustrating, it'll connect and work fine for a while, but I usually end up turning it off because it stops working so often. I get Maxpass every day, use mobile order and I'm in the app a lot. It used less data than I expected.

A tip i usually do when I'm going to the parks to save on data. When you are in the app itself, open up your ticket to see the barcode and screen cap it. Then set it as your lockscreen background. That way when you load the maxpass, you dont have to pull out the physical ticket everytime, it also makes sure you wont have to open the app everytime you need to scan it for the fastpass redemption.

I second the suggestion to just take a screenshot of the barcode for scanning when you get photos or use FPs. There was often a bunch of people standing in front of FP check in machines trying to open up the app and get to their FP on their phone. Getting to the screenshot in your phone's images would be faster and would save on data used each time the app is opened.

This is an amazing tip-thanks!

A tip i usually do when I'm going to the parks to save on data. When you are in the app itself, open up your ticket to see the barcode and screen cap it. Then set it as your lockscreen background. That way when you load the maxpass, you dont have to pull out the physical ticket everytime, it also makes sure you wont have to open the app everytime you need to scan it for the fastpass redemption. Also any apps that send automatic push notifications you should turn off. all of these in general dont take up much. But when you are tight data cap and want to make sure you dont go over, every little bit counts. Especially if you are going from Rope drop to closing.

OMG you just blew my mind , almost two years of using Maxpass and I never thought of this..you're my hero for real lol.

Honestly, I would strongly recommend an unlimited data plan, then you don't have to worry about it. If they don't offer any there, you can buy a prepaid sim card with one month of unlimited data for around $50 here. Another option might be Fredompop, you can usually by the sim for $0.01 and get a one month trial of about 10 GB.

the Wifi is terrible at best. I would normally say 100mb a day is fine for the average. But because using maxpass forces you to open the app which uses data to give you up to the minute updates on character locations, parade times, etc etc. Plus whatever other stuff she does on her phone on a regular basis. Its tough. I think it is doable. I guess it just depends on what else she does on her phone (twitter, instagram etc etc).

Thanks for the great tip! Would you guys please clarify the mechanics of this process! So am I taking a screen shot of my and my family’s park tickets and then scanning those 4 individual ticket screenshots gains access through the FP line (assuming I booked it!) or is there a FP ticket screenshot I need for FP entry? And again, would I have to do that 4 times for each family member? I’m new to MaxPass but know FP+ and MBs at WDW well.

Thanks for the great tip! Would you guys please clarify the mechanics of this process! So am I taking a screen shot of my and my family’s park tickets and then scanning those 4 individual ticket screenshots gains access through the FP line (assuming I booked it!) or is there a FP ticket screenshot I need for FP entry? And again, would I have to do that 4 times for each family member? I’m new to MaxPass but know FP+ and MBs at WDW well.

I haven't been with a group since last year to Disneyland (usually solo), so I dont know if they changed it or not. But the way I did it in the past is 1 person can log onto the app and create a group and link all the tickets in that group. Then that person can book everyone a fastpass on the app(assuming you all have maxpass), Then everyone would just take a screenshot of their own individual ticket barcode and set it as their phone's lockscreen background. Then instead of everyone having to open the app and what not, they just turned their screen on it scanned the barcode on the front of the phone.

There is a fastpass ticket barcode you can screenshot instead, but you would have to screenshot every single fastpass barcode you got throughout the day.

Its just easier for you to do your tickets barcode since it is all loaded onto there. Essentially everyone in your group except for you (the leader) would only have to open their app once to screenshot the barcode of their ticket and never have to open the app again. Only you would need to open it to load more fastpasses for the group.

I dont know if things have changed and they can just allow one person to scan at the fastpass machine to let the entire group in. But when I went we all had to have screenshots of our tickets barcode on them.

Also if you are worried about battery life for you (the leader), I always recommend people buying the Fuel Rod, they sell them at the parks for $25 or on their official website for $20. They have stations set up through out both parks, so when your fuel rod runs out of juice you can just swap it out for free with a fresh fully charged one. Its small and extremely convenient to have at the parks (WDW and DL).

I prefer to screenshot each Fastpass because in the past if we've had a FP change to an anything pass, it has scanned that pass for the next thing we went to, rather than the FP we had already collected for that ride.....that can be annoying!

I prefer to screenshot each Fastpass because in the past if we've had a FP change to an anything pass, it has scanned that pass for the next thing we went to, rather than the FP we had already collected for that ride.....that can be annoying!

Thank you! I have been given a set of “anything FPs” one time in 8 visits to WDW prior to the trip due to a customer service issue - are you talking about FPs you got when a ride broke down or something else like my experience- is this a more common thing at Disneyland such that it would factor into our approach?

It's the 'multiple experience' ones you get when a ride breaks down. We got quite a few in our last 4 day visit!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter