Any improvement on AKL bus timing?

Stayed at AKL in November. In general, the bus system worked pretty well for us. The only hiccup we kept experiencing was for the bus to MK. The first time we were not in much of a rush, so just stuck around until the bus finally came about 45 minutes later. The second time, a CM was stationed there and we asked how much longer for the next MK bus and she said they were having an issue with that bus route. We then asked if we should consider taking a minnie van, and she quickly responded that it was probably a good idea to do the van instead at this point. The bus back from MK to AKL was also consistently the longest wait for us as well.

So while we did experience one or two issues, at least there was a CM there to let us know they were experiencing some issues.

We were there in mid-October and had no issues. We made our pre-RD breakfast at Epcot with time to spare. We maybe had to wait 15 minutes at most for a bus back to AKL when leaving the parks. The only issue we had was our own fault - we boarded a bus going to Animal Kingdom instead of AKL.

Finally, split stay totally silly with young kids right?

First off i think AKL gets a bad wrap for their transportation, but like other posters have pointed out -- other resorts have issues too. It depends on the mind set that you have - waiting or traveling an extra 5 minutes might be worth the dream of staying at AKL. The travel times from AKL are really not that excessive compared to the other resorts -- heck even if you are at the boardwalk and you want to go to epcot - walking around the lake can take awhile.

As for a split with kids -- the only issue is that by the time you become familiar with the resort it is time to move on, but on the brightside it makes it feel like 2 vacations in one. I would not do a split with less that a 7 night stay. Doing a split is very easy with moving luggage, but if your young kid need a nap in the afternoon - then a split would not work out well because you will essentially be homeless until 4pm in the after noon. Splits work out great if you can get up, send off your bags with bell services, then go off to the park until 3:30 - you then go to your new resort and check in to your new room. They make it super simple and convenient - it just really depends on your kids needs.

Thank you all for your replies and advice! We talked it over, and decided that we will save AKL for our next trip in 3 years when the kids are a little older and may remember / appreciate the experience better. I have to keep reminding myself this is not our only trip and that I'll need to look forward to something to get over the blues when we come home. We are going to do a 5:20 Sanaa dinner one night to at least be there for a bit and check it out.

Splits work out great if you can get up, send off your bags with bell services, then go off to the park until 3:30 - you then go to your new resort and check in to your new room. They make it super simple and convenient - it just really depends on your kids needs.
Thank you this is good to hear, as we decided on a split stay between AoA Little Mermaid Rooms for the kids (3 nights) and the Poly for us (4 nights). Our plan is to sleep in and head to HS after we check out of AoA, staying there until at least 3:30-4:00 before hoping to check in.

Thanks again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter