Any inexpensive ideas for practically blank slate?

HeatherPage

<font color=darkcoral>Proud mommy, wife and WDW fa
We've been in our house a year now. There is a rectangular area right next to the side of our house (which the way our funky driveway is, is the first thing you see when you pull in to our driveway) my husband got a yard guy last fall to come out and spray weed kill in it to kill everthing in it and he pulled up some wildflower looking things that he didn't like - they looked a little out of place. So now this area is a brown area (mulch I guess) with about 20 golf balls in it because my husband likes to go out and chip his golfballs into this area :rolleyes: Anyone have any ideas on what I can do with this area? Maybe something Disney designed? I have a Disney tee marker my dad got us last time he was down in WDW from a course they were renovating (Red Mickey head tee-marker with our names engraved in a gold plate on the front) that I'd like to put in the corner. Not sure what else I could do -this is our first house and we are not experienced yard people-we do good to have it mowed and trimmed every week or so. Also our front yard is pretty bare except for the grass, which is pretty green and full so that is a plus. I wanted to get a couple of big trees to plant and kinda make a landscaped area around the trees. Any ideas as to what kind of trees? What are some fast growing trees? Thanks for any help or ideas you can give me. P.S. this is a great forum idea!

I have been working on this garden on the side of my house for going on 3 years now. It cost me very little to make as I live on a street called Rock Lane... and well they don't call it that cause there is to much sand...LOL... Anyway I used the rocks that are in my yard and around the area that I could pick up and went to Wal-mart and got the wall brick for a little over a buck each. The pools were gotten a sams club for less than $100 each with pumps and a few water falls. As for the time... Well that was free... If you have any questions please feel free to email me... And you should see these when the flowers are in bloom...

garden7.jpg

garden2.jpg

garden8.jpg

garden10.jpg

First baby Justin is a cutie.

For the blank space try putting a couple of potted plants in this area that way DH can move them when he wants to putt.

I would also recommend a good landscaping book to help you decide what you like. Usually the local library has a good selection of books you can take home and look through.

Thanks for the ideas everyone! amid chaos, I had though about the putting green but wasn't sure how to go about doing it, I'll probably do what Mamu suggested and go to the library (thanks Mamu for that suggestion and about Justin :) ). NHMickey, your yard looks great! I like your retaining wall, that was one thing my husband wanted to do with this area. Well that' half the fun I guess, researching all the things you can do. Thanks again!

Nat love your pictures. You have done a great job. Want to come down to MA, and give me some pointers on out place???

Glo as soon as I finish mine I would be glad to help... I figure another 10 years or so as I plan on doing this right around to the front walk... But I will post when I'm done;)

Heather, we built our house a few years ago, so I know how it feels to have a blank slate. I think a more experienced gardener would've been thrilled, but it struck terror in my heart!!!

This may seem too elementary to you, but you may want to get some graph paper and "plot" the scale of the beds you want to plant. You can go to your local nursery and look at the size of shrubs/perennials/trees and see how different ones look on paper.

You'll also want to check out your potential sites at different times of the day to see if they're sunny, shady, or a combination.

If you're anything like us money is definitely an issue when you're in a new house. I would strongly suggest perennials over annuals. With the perennials, your garden will come back every year, and it gets easier to add to it. There are a lot of annuals I LOVE, so I balance my perennial garden with hanging baskets of annuals on my porch (I get the cheapie six packs---yes they are small, but once it gets warm, they really take off). If you don't want to do hanging baskets, then a couple of pots look nice on the front stairs, or on the deck.

Thanks Kristin, those are some great ideas, and yes unfortunately money is an issue...there's still painting on the inside of the house I want to get done also, etc... I have thought about doing the graph thing or at least a rought sketch on paper, just haven't gotten around to doing it. I'll make some time this weekend. Thanks again for the suggestions! :D

I see you are from a similar growing area to mine. We are fortunate to be able to plant so many different things. If you are looking for year round color in a bush you can't miss with nandina and they are so care free! The fire power type have bright red leaves in the summer and fall, green leaves in the winter and spring. This type also stays somewhat small. They are used in a lot of landscaping in combination with stella de oro daylillies, which will bloom a rich yellow/orange flower all summer long. The regular nandina can get to be 6 - 8 feet tall and have beautiful in the winter with the red berries against green leaves. A dogwood tree is a must here in the south (we have 6) not to mention azeleas. Check out a copy of the Southern Living Gardening references they are great guides! You might also want to check out a local nursery for a landscaping service that would come out and give you a planting blueprint. The local nursery near us only charges $150.00 for a plan.

Good luck and have fun!!

TK

That putting green idea is just a classic! My husband would absolutely love it! Maybe I'll do that in a corner of the back yard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter