Any info on WestGate Villas?? long....

A Mickeyfan

DIS Veteran
I posted yesterday asking about WestGate Villas, Orange Lake & Silver Lake. I won my 7 night stay thru SkyAuction.. 7 night 2 bedroom. I wanted Orange Lake as my first choice but they didn't have the dates I need (check in June 2nd). We went with WestGate Vacation Villas (for $389 and no time share presentation to sit thru I can't complain). WestGate seemed to have more to do at the resort than Silver Lake. My husband will not be park hopping with me & the kids so he will be at the resort more than us. Can anyone give me any info on the resort...such as what area to request and so forth...I am traveling with my husband and 3 girls ages 9, 13, 14 and one boy 15 (3 of them are mine, one is a friend). Do they offer a free bus to Disney parks? Any info would be great.....again...I don't have to sit thru a timeshare hard sell presentation. I know they have a rep for giving problems and keeping you longer. My stay is a no strings attached stay! I have scrolled thru this site & I see many negatives due to the hard sells, but not much on the actual resort stay. My sister was there last year & said she liked it (she traded into it). I would love to hear more views on this resort ...please...thanks in advance....

I own at Westgate Vacation Villas. In my opinion, the units are really nice, well maintained. The grounds are kept up, always clean.

They have 10 pools, bikes, paddle boats, fitness center biggest difference over Orange Lake is no golf.

Since you dont have to worry about the timeshare presentation, you should have no problems.

As far as I know, they do not offer transportation to the parks. But perhaps your husband can drop you off so he can keep the car and pick you up later in the day. It is not that far away.

try to get something with 3 or more letters like NNN the older units are 1 letter and are around the lake.

there is no transportation to the parks - or they wasn't the last time I visited - they claim that at the end of the street leading in is a bus stop.

I am a ower too - but I don't think they kept their units that clean - but I think this is intentional - the thing you want to avoid is what they call a "maintanace meeting" - you would think that they would love to heard what is wrong to fix it - NO - this is the sales meeting - avoid it.

what do you want to know?

have any slides in the pools and what type of activities do they have around the pool? How do towels work by the pool for that matter in the unit too? I have never stayed in a timeshare before so I know I sound silly with some of the questions. What do they supply in the units (such as soap, dish soap etc..)? When should I ask for a unit in the newer section with the three letters (at check in or before hand?) Also....how many floors are there? I read on their web site that they have parking by the unit, are they individual low rise bldgs? I am sorry for asking so much......I am happy that I got them at the price I did, but now I am getting nervous wondering if I did the right thing. We usually stay on site (WDW) every summer, but this time I wanted to try Universal's new Royal Pacific, so to save money I decided to forgo staying on Disney's property to stay at the Royal Pacific (by the way..great Fan Club rate of $139 per night for Club Level) in August...and by staying at Westgate...I am saving a lot over Disney's pricing so I can swing the both trips..I am getting off topic here..sorry. Anyway, thanks for the answers and any other info would be great...

We stayed there a couple years back so some of this may have changed but...

None of the pools have slides but they do vary a bit. The one by the main check-in area often has music playing (a band some evenings) and a festive atmosphere. Others may be simple rectangular or freeform. The ones we saw (a couple years ago) all had hot tubs, kiddie pools, soft drink machines and rest rooms nearby. They were heated and nicely lit in the evenings.

The pools are scattered throughout the resort. So were other activity areas, like shufflebaord, volleyball, basketball, tennis. There was an small rental area near the pond, where you could sign-out bicycles, pedalboats and equipment for the above mentioned activities. At that time, guests with an RCI or II membership card and owners were allowed free access to these things.

Behind the main check-in area and convenience store/gift shop, there was a video game room that our kids liked a lot. Organized outdoor activities were scheduled at various locations through the resort. The welcome info tells you where each will be.

I cannot recall where we got pool towels during our visit here. Some timeshares stock extra in the villas and some poolside. We have never needed our own beach/pool towels at any timeshare resort so we don't bring them anymore. :)

The resort will generally supply you with at least a single day's worth of kitchen dish soap, dishwasher soap packet(s) and laundry detergent. The onsite convenience mart will sell extra or you can bring ziplocs with what you expect to need for the week. Bath soaps are provided as well as paper goods (tissues, TP, paper towels). Bring shampoo, lotions, a small amount of bubble bath for the double jacuzzi in your room (a capful will do). :)

Make your room request a week or two before arrival, by telephone. Then note your room assignment at check-in before you leave the desk. One advantage to the oldest section is that it's located closest to the main pool area, more convenient.

Building heights vary but I don't recall any higher than 2 or 3 stories. There is no theme here and it's not a "Disney experience" but it's a nice resort overall. Enjoy the space, the activities and the privacy. Pack lightly and take advantage of your inroom washer/dryer. We toss in a load at bedtimes. It's great to return home without a heap of laundry to do.

It really is close to Disney. If you have cell phones, it may be good to call DH before you all leave the parks and ask him to pick you up. Just use the Disney transport for park-hopping and let him have use of the car. Have fun, anyway!!! :D

I traded into Westgate Villas Thanksgiving week of 2000. I would never ever stay there again--even for free. The first unti they tried to put us in was DIRTY-----we checked in on a Sunday and it still had newspapers from Friday in the closet of the master bedroom, the area under the lamp was dirty not dusty, there was mold on the walls GROSSSSSSSS!!!!!!! The sceond unti was much better but the He** I had to go through to get them to change our unit was not worth it.

the older units are the ones I had heard the most complaints about - they generally began with a single letter - don't stay there -

most of the building have a second floor. yes parking is in front. no elevators to my knowledge.

there is a whole list of things to do but it is on the TV not a print out that I can tell you about - but there is plenty of things to do.

when I was there they had towels at the pools (all of the pools - but since Disney used to do this and has cut back) I would definitely bring my own.

they gave us enough dishwashing detergent, clothes washing detergent to last the whole week. Also paper towels, toilet paper, etc.

the thing it didn't have was a real vacuum cleaner - but one of those push things. (DVC has really vacuum cleaners).

Make sure you are happy with your room - if you are not - complaint loudly - they charge us over $500 in maintenance fees so the place should be kept up - it is not - as I have said before I feel it is intentional.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter