Any NFL fans not watching this year due to the protests?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many of them got free rides to college, but probably couldn't pass a 5th grade math test.

Do you know how few of them get any degree worthwhile? They are often given a “scholarship” for courses that they don’t have time to actually take due to sport commitments, and furthermore if their grades are suffering they are moved to token courses that give a almost free pass like Swahili-not something that is going to get them a great job if they don’t make it pro.

Do you know how few of them get any degree worthwhile? They are often given a “scholarship” for courses that they don’t have time to actually take due to sport commitments, and furthermore if their grades are suffering they are moved to token courses that give a almost free pass like Swahili-not something that is going to get them a great job if they don’t make it pro.

Like Swahili? :sad2::headache: Just wow

We can't discuss the issues because of the nastiness that comes out, posters personally call others names because they disagree with what is posted. Instead of discussing details that might disprove or prove the behavior being protested, the poster is called something designed to shut that poster up. Personally, I always liked the line in the movie 1776, when Stephen Hopkins of Rhode Island says that there is no issue that can't be debated.

I also believe there is no issue that annoy be debated.
However I think this debate is being shut down by those with an agenda/denial.
Some people want to invalidate the issue by turning things around on the protest itself because they are unable to effectively argue what the protest is about.
Rather than have an uncomfortable discussion about the issue they would rather attack the protest itself.

Symbols are important. The flag has always been a unifying symbol. There actions are divisive. It will hurt them in the long run. People don't watch.... no more big fat paychecks

If there so worried about police injustice. Why don't they do something about their neighborhoods, education, the drug, gang problem...the list goes on and on. Protesting the flag is going to bring them nothing but more hate, and more rasism. It does nothing for their cause. The sad thing is most of them aren't educated enough to realize they are being used by people who have a bigger agenda.

:sad2:

Some people want to invalidate the issue by turning things around on the protest itself because they are unable to effectively argue what the protest is about.
Rather than have an uncomfortable discussion about the issue they would rather attack the protest itself.
It hard to discuss this topic without getting into politics which is not allowed. I have a lot of thoughts on it, but there is no freedom of speech on these boards. Maybe I should start start a protest. LOL.

I have no interest in the NFL and have not watched a game for over a year. When the Super Bowl comes around, I like watching the funny and clever commercials. I see them on YouTube. As for the issue, I can argue quite successfully against what the football players are protesting, show how they are being manipulated by people who are racist and liars and show how violence comes from those lies. I did with a cousin of mine, he kept arguing that most people in the United States are colonizers, so I said if your upset about it then leave, go back to where your ancestors came from. I said if you don't have Native American DNA, then you are a colonizer. Before he could say that I would have to leave also, told him that I have Native American DNA. I am adopted, I did DNA so I can find my bio family.

First off, I don't watch the NFL. I'm more of a college FB fan (and yes, I know the arguments that college ball is really a professional sport, but that's another argument for another day). Honestly, I don't remember ever seeing the national anthem in the broadcast of a football game. Normally that part of things is pre-empted by the ubiquitous talking heads, and they cut to the field just in time for the kickoff. (Which as an LSU alum, I hate, because the traditional way that LSU takes the field in Death Valley is a spectacle that I miss every time I have to settle for watching the game on TV.) Anyway, I'm utterly amazed that the NFL broadcasts actually include the anthem for each and every game.

So, why do we even play the National Anthem at sporting events where both teams are based in the US? It makes perfect sense at international contests such as the Olympics or the World Cup, where the national anthems are indicative of what country each team is playing for -- a national fight song, as it were. It honestly doesn't seem necessary when everyone in the stadium is the same nationality. It started as a wartime morale-booster in the 7th inning stretch of a baseball game in 1918, and eventually became a customary opening feature during WW2. It's just a custom (one that many people like, true enough, but it really doesn't make a difference to the sport at hand.)

As to the anthem and the flag and "disrepect" thereto... Let's get one thing straight that we all should have learned in 9th grade Civics class. Members of our armed forces do not fight or die for a flag or for a song; they do so for their nation and for a set of guiding principles that define what that nation stands for, not the least of which is freedom of speech. Americans harassing Americans over a mere symbol such as a flag or a song makes a mockery of those principles.

One other thing: as someone who recently saw an armored troop carrier parked outside her neighborhood fire station because of anticipated rioting: this particular protest is as quiet and respectful as any protest movement is every likely to be, and if you know what a riot is like, you should be thankful for that. No one gets tear-gassed, no one is throwing bricks, no one's commute or shopping experience is delayed, children are not being sent home early from school, and not even enjoyment of the sporting event in question is delayed. Not a harsh word is spoken, either. It is silent and it delays nothing. It is being done and getting attention because of the numbers of people who happen to see it happen, so for that reason it's effective: we're talking about it, are we not?

Off topic but have to say that I’m definitely with you on pre-game! Geaux Tigers!!

I have just the song for you.

For the record, I told the PP that I enjoyed pre-game, not the football... this year.
Lol! But we beat Florida this past weekend so since we clearly have issues this season I’ll take that over beating Troy. I have no hard feelings about Troy!

Where in those statistics say that the police shot a percentage more blacks than whites because they are racially profiling them. Where do those statistics say that the police departments are so racially biased that they deliberately target blacks. Where are the facts that these things have happened. In Ferguson MO, Eric Holder the Black US Attorney General, found six emails in six years that could have been racism. So, because of this you think that every police department in every state is a racist entity, the statistics prove it (sarcasm)

If you have to make up what others posters supposedly said, then you've already lost the debate. The issue of racism is far deeper than what your claims above would suggest, but because (a) this is already getting way too political for the Dis and (b) you seem incapable of having a discussion without fabricating what others say, I'm out, at least as far as responding to you.

If you have to make up what others posters supposedly said, then you've already lost the debate. The issue of racism is far deeper than what your claims above would suggest, but because (a) this is already getting way too political for the Dis and (b) you seem incapable of having a discussion without fabricating what others say, I'm out, at least as far as responding to you.

Where did I make up what other poster's said? I have my own opinions, my own experiences and my own mind. I look at many sources and then think about it. I abhor violence and criminal activity. I don't like bullying. The thing I don't like most is when lies lead to murder. I am willing to say when I am wrong. I asked you questions about those statistics and what they mean. Apparently you can't answer them. You attack me for your non answer instead of showing me where your proof is.

As a matter of fact, if you go to a game in our Stadium, we yell "Home of the CHIIIIIIIIEEEFS" at the end of the Anthem.
That one has long been held with controversy that's for sure. Heck even at the Royals game people say that (or they did in the past I admit it's been a year or two since I was able to go to a game).

Where did I make up what other poster's said? I have my own opinions, my own experiences and my own mind. I look at many sources and then think about it. I abhor violence and criminal activity. I don't like bullying. The thing I don't like most is when lies lead to murder. I am willing to say when I am wrong. I asked you questions about those statistics and what they mean. Apparently you can't answer them. You attack me for your non answer instead of showing me where your proof is.

Last response...you said, "So, because of this you think that every police department in every state is a racist entity, the statistics prove it." I never, ever that. Further, I was refuting the "other" poster's claim that the Washington Post data disproves that racial profiling exists. The data neither proves nor disproves it. It simply points to the fact that there is, indeed, a racial issue. Whether that issue is racial profiling, systemic racism, or something else is up for discussion and debate (again, I already said this).

A long time ago the DIS had a 'Debate Board' which had rules about what conduct would be allowed. That lasted a few months since the allowed conduct could not be followed by those participating.

'No Arguing and No Attacking Others' has been part of the DIS Guidelines since the beginning of the site. 'No Political Discussion' had to be added almost 10 years ago due to the refusal of many to accept the 'No Arguing and No Attacking Others' policies.

This thread has been filled with violations of all three Guidelines - with repeat warnings for several posters in this thread alone.

This topic will no longer be accepted for discussion on the DIS. There are many unmoderated sites on the internet better suited for such 'discussion/debate'.

Thanks for playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter