Any organ donors out cruising?

lorenni

DIS Veteran
So, my almost 70 year old father has decided to donate a kidney to a family member. Setting aside all discussion of whether this is a good idea (it’s not) or whether our immediate family approves (we don’t) or whether he’ll make it through final approval of the transplant advisory board this week - I’m thinking the only logical thing to do is cancel the family cruise to Alaska in August.

First, despite what he says, I can’t imagine the recovery will be smooth sailing at his age. If he does this in March, who knows how he will feel in August.

Second, if something happens during the cruise, we are literally cut off from most medical assistance.

Third, I haven’t checked yet but I have to assume no travel insurance in the world is going to cover you if the reason you can’t go, or go and have an emergency, is your voluntary removal of organs.

Fourth, my PIF date will come up maybe 6 weeks after the surgery and I don’t think we’ll be confident of ultimate outcome at that point.

He is insisting that he will be perfect and we are crazy for even thinking about canceling the cruise. Am I being too cautious here?

Can you wait to see if he would get approved before you cancel? I think all the reasons you list are very valid and reasons to cancel. I think your father is absolutely wonderful for wanting to donate, however not at his age. My father received a new heart 23 years ago when he was 58 yrs old so organ donation hits close to home. I don't know for sure what the requirements to become an organ donor are, but honestly I'd be shocked if he was allowed to donate. I don't think you are being too cautious at all. Again, bless your dad, but I have to agree with you for being against this. I know how hard it is to have a love one needing an organ, but hopefully another donor will be found. Prayers for your family.

Setting aside....whether he’ll make it through final approval of the transplant advisory board this week - I’m thinking the only logical thing to do is cancel the family cruise to Alaska in August.

It’s not logical to cancel before the transplant board decides (and they’ll almost certainly say “no”). So that question is very relevant.

Third, I haven’t checked yet but I have to assume no travel insurance in the world is going to cover you if the reason you can’t go, or go and have an emergency, is your voluntary removal of organs.

I don’t think that’s true at all.

Alaska cruises hug the coastline of Alaska. You’re pretty much in sight of the land much of the time. While Skagway might not have a big fancy hospital, they can chopper you to Juneau.

The surgery itself is harder for the donor than it is for the recipient. However, that being said, most donors are out of the hospital in just a few days and they are back to full activity within a few weeks. As long as his underlying kidney function is reasonably good, he should be back to full activity and at his baseline state of health, before very long. There should be no long-term consequences, if he is healthy enough to be a donor, and you should be able to go on a cruise five months later with little to no concern. The recipient might not want to go on a cruise in that short amount of time as they will likely still be playing with the immunosuppression medications.

I give this answer as a surgeon. Although I have not worked with kidney transplant patients in many years, most donors do very well.

As long as his underlying kidney function is reasonably good, he should be back to full activity and at his baseline state of health, before very long.

As a 69 year old?

Only kidney transplant I’ve been near involved a recipient who was just about ready for discharge while they were still stabilizing the donor. And this was two young people. You just never know.

(And that’s all I know, because I was there for my friend who was having a full liver transplant and word got around.)

I too donated a kidney and yes it is was a longer recovery time for me than my sister. Our transplant took place in March as well, and I was up and about in 3 weeks or so with minor discomfort. By June I was 100% myself and able to have a great start to summer vacation with my kids.

I would not cancel the cruise. By August your father, provided he is in good shape now, should be able to go on his cruise and enjoy himself.
:-)

Btw, Our transplant took place in Los Angeles at Cedars-Sinai.

So, my almost 70 year old father has decided to donate a kidney to a family member. Setting aside all discussion of whether this is a good idea (it’s not) or whether our immediate family approves (we don’t) or whether he’ll make it through final approval of the transplant advisory board this week - I’m thinking the only logical thing to do is cancel the family cruise to Alaska in August.

First, despite what he says, I can’t imagine the recovery will be smooth sailing at his age. If he does this in March, who knows how he will feel in August.

Second, if something happens during the cruise, we are literally cut off from most medical assistance.

Fourth, my PIF date will come up maybe 6 weeks after the surgery and I don’t think we’ll be confident of ultimate outcome at that point.

He is insisting that he will be perfect and we are crazy for even thinking about canceling the cruise. Am I being too cautious here?
I wouldn't cancel the cruise until the PIF date. If he's not doing well then, it would make sense to cancel, but he could very well be fully recovered by then. Don't jump the gun before that time.

The doctors overseeing the transplant decide who can and can't donate based on factors like overall health and age. If they give your father the green light, there is no need to discourage him from potentially saving a family member's life.

Canceling the cruise before the transplant even takes place seems kind of like a way to punish your father for not following your wishes. I'm sure that's not your conscious intent, but the tone of your post does sound a bit angry.

Last edited:
I wouldn't cancel the cruise until the PIF date. If he's not doing well then, it would make sense to cancel, but he could very well be fully recovered by then. Don't jump the gun before that time.

The doctors overseeing the transplant decide who can and can't donate based on factors like overall health and age. If they give your father the green light, there is no need to discourage him from potentially saving a family member's life.

Canceling the cruise before the transplant even takes place seems kind of like a way to punish your father for not following your wishes. I'm sure that's not your conscious intent, but the tone of your post does sound a bit angry.

So, I fully recognize that if the board says he is fit to donate then he is fit to donate. That said, it is not without risk even for a person who is approved. A colleague gave a kidney to her husband last year. He had multiple life altering strokes and she ended up back in intensive care with a life threatening infection. Months later she was fully recovered. He has never (may never) fully recover.

My sister and I suspect that our mother is developing Alzheimer’s (which runs on both sides of her family). She is not involved in household finances. Their estate is not organized. This is not about “punishing” my dad for not following my wishes.

As my husband very accurately summed it up - donating a kidney is the most selfless and selfish idea my dad could have. He is moving forward against the wishes of his entire inmediate family, including my mother. The “problem” is that only his generation in the family have the right blood type. None of the (many) cousins are type O. So for family donation options it’s only the older folks.

That said, the recipient (who we all cherish) is stable and not at crisis point. He could proceed for years or decades with dialysis. And, however this may sound to some, this was an entirely avoidable condition that resulted from decades of intentional personal neglect. Lifestyle changes have not been made.

I am thankful for the responses of those with personal experience. Another cousin donated a kidney years ago and she is fine - but at the time she was in her 20s and single and childless. Different mathematics. So I know it could all be fine.

But it might not and so if they approve him this week I will monitor closely the PIF date and make a decision right before it hits.

I was 39 when I donated my kidney. The surgery was laproscopic which made recovery time shorter. I was discharged from the hospital the next day. It took a couple of weeks, maybe 3, before I felt like I was 100%. Looking back, I know I could have gone on a cruise at that point. But I agree with the previous responses... Wait for the review board.

I forgot to add... I was not a match for my sister who needed a kidney. We were part of a kidney chain. An altruistic donor donated his kidney to my sister. In turn, I donated to a lady whose sister wasn't a match and then that sister donated to someone else. Maybe that is an option that the person who needs a kidney can look into.

My dad had a hip replacement at age 72. He was up and walking without a cane within days, and back at work in less than a week. Just because someone is older does not mean that they can’t have a quick, normal recovery. His recovery time was much less than some younger patients because he is in great physical shape, not overweight and very healthy.

I would not cancel your cruise yet. I would wait and see if he is approved for the surgery and go from there. Unless there are underlying issues, it seems like a recovery time of 5 months should be sufficient for healing in a normal situation.

do not cancel yet. even at his age, he should be good to go by august. my donor, while 32 was back to normal activity within 30 days of surgery.

I donated a kidney at the age of 35 and was out of the hospital in 24 hours and back to work within two weeks. The recovery for the donor is MUCH easier than the recovery for the recipient. I don't know how your father's health is at the age of 70, but if the board approves him as a donor, I wouldn't hesitate to plan to still go on the cruise as planned. Sure, there could be some unplanned complication from the surgery that prevents him from being able to go, but there is always risk that something could happen and disrupt travel plans. I think the likelihood is extremely small, and just be sure you understand your travel insurance just in case.

Kudos to your father.

The recovery for the donor is MUCH easier than the recovery for the recipient.
incorrect in terms of recovery. the initial recovery for the donor is a bit longer than the recipient. the recipient just has a much longer and more time consuming follow up and maintenance plan to make sure the new kidney is functioning properly.

incorrect in terms of recovery. the initial recovery for the donor is a bit longer than the recipient. the recipient just has a much longer and more time consuming follow up and maintenance plan to make sure the new kidney is functioning properly.

Maybe it's not the norm, but that was the case with my surgery. It's been a few years, so I don't recall the exact timeline, but I was out of the hospital in a day and back home in about 3 days, but my dad was in the hospital for about a week following the surgery and had to stay in the area for a couple of months.

I don't know how old all the commenters are, but many, many 70 year-olds are in good shape and would probably do fine with their recovery. Don't count what used to be old-out.

My recovery time as a 48 year old is slower than it was 20 years ago. (Even though I’m in better condition now) I have a feeling it’s not going to be better than now in another 20 years.

My dad had a hip replacement at age 72. He was up and walking without a cane within days, and back at work in less than a week

And my stepdad who was younger than the OP’s Dad at the time, in terrific shape, took months to recuperate from his first hip replacement. He was in agony for ages. He dreaded going back in for the second side.

You never know.

Maybe it's not the norm, but that was the case with my surgery. It's been a few years, so I don't recall the exact timeline, but I was out of the hospital in a day and back home in about 3 days, but my dad was in the hospital for about a week following the surgery and had to stay in the area for a couple of months.
my surgery was 6 months ago. we both left the hospital the same day. He was home in bed for a few weeks and I was up and moving a week after surgery. the big difference is he got cleared to return to normal after a month/hasn't been back to the hospital since and im still at the hospital every other week doing checkups to make sure everything is working as intended.

Wait until your cancellation date. At 6 weeks post transfer he might be back to 100% and you’ll have a lot more info to work with.

As far as access to medical care, there shouldn’t be any emergency medical need related to donation that pops up in 5 months (he’d either still be having issues or be healed- no surprises) You’re also close to land and between the health unit and access to Alaska you shouldn’t be at any increase risk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter