Any positive Experiences using DCL Air Transportation Program?

Yep, thats where I was seeing it. I have a June 2018 Mediterranean cruise booked so still a little early to look at airfare, but thanks for the information everyone!

Aby

We used it for a while, but switched to booking it ourselves. The main issue was price, for whatever reason the tickets that Disney were purchasing were about double what I could get if I booked it myself, even accounting for the free transfers from the airport to the cruise. (at least what I have in my notes for our 2014 cruise). That and the flights were for the day of the cruise, which as mentioned can lead to issues if there are flight delays. Overall the process was clean and simple and we had no issues when using DCL to book air.

I was told I would have to pay for my transfers between the airport and port. Since it's only me I'm planning to use Disney's transfer from MCO to Port Canaveral since there's a bit of distance between the two.

I was told I would have to pay for my transfers between the airport and port. Since it's only me I'm planning to use Disney's transfer from MCO to Port Canaveral since there's a bit of distance between the two.
If you use DCL to book your airfare, the transfers are "included". (That is, they up the price of the actual airline ticket by that much)

If you book your own airfare, you must purchase the DCL transfers to use them.

If you use DCL to book your airfare, the transfers are "included". (That is, they up the price of the actual airline ticket by that much)

If you book your own airfare, you must purchase the DCL transfers to use them.

Thanks for the info as my travel agent told me it was $35 to transfer from MCO. I've sent her an email to have her check again with Disney. I've had the cruise booked since May of last year and didn't add the airfare until December so maybe they told her that before I booked the airfare. Even if DCL 'upped' the price of my plane ticket I couldn't find a ticket that cheap without multiple connections or long layovers so I'm okay with it

They told me that the changes they made about booking air includes no longer comping the transfers, even if you book air and hotel through DCL.

Does dcl give you an option on flight class? My first overseas cruise next year and being a 6'2" tall person most economy or economy plus seats are really only tolerable for a few hours so I'm trying to convince my partner we need first. I want a damn cacoon! And if DCL can offer first and relieve the stress of "will we make it on time" I'm all for that but if it's cattle class then i want to start researching prices. Currently I can't get pricing for Sep 2018 till October 2017 though

We chose our exact flights, and even our seats, over six months in advance booking via DCL. There was no "60 days out" issue at all.
This is the case for me. WE have confirmation numbers, even seat assignments and I can pull up on the Delta and American websites. So they won't change these will they?

This is the case for me. WE have confirmation numbers, even seat assignments and I can pull up on the Delta and American websites. So they won't change these will they?
They may not change the flight, but you seat assignments can change. Those are controlled by the airline, and, if they need to, they'll change your seat. Without notice. Keep an eye on your reservation. If the seats change, and you don't like the new ones, change the seats on your reservation (if you can).

Right after I look at prices, I look for total travel time which can be a big range of time depending on flight selection - especially for international flights. A 4-5 hr layover for example is a no-go in my book. As with any program, you will read good and bad about them. The one bad thing I've read about DCL booking your flights is the number of connections you'll sometimes see as well as lengthy layovers. Good luck!

Planning for 2018 Mediterranean cruise and wondering if there are any advantages to using Disney for Air Transportation?
Hi Debby. I know this is an old post, but I was wondering if you did end up using DCL Air and how it went for you.

Would love to hear about experiences too. On the website it says that air booking doesn't open until 60 days before the cruise - is this true? I normally book a lot farther ahead than this!

Aby
Hi Aby. I know this thread is pretty old, but I was wondering if you ended up using the DCL Air program and how it went for you.

Planning for 2018 Mediterranean cruise and wondering if there are any advantages to using Disney for Air Transportation?

I made air reservations via DCL several months in advance (including choosing the specific flights and our seats), so the 60 day thing definitely isn't true.

Advantages to booking air via DCL:
  • If you're using DCL insurance, your flights are covered by the insurance.
  • Within reason, they'll try to wait the ship on you if the flights are late. (On our recent December cruise, the Fantasy left Port Canaveral hours late after waiting for air travel-delayed guests to arrive.)
  • If you decide to cancel the cruise before the Paid-in-Full date, you can also cancel the flights with no penalty. (I have done this.)
  • You can change your flights (before PIF) with no penalty.
  • If the cruise returns late back to the home port, DCL will reschedule your flights without charge to you if that's needed. This (along with the first reason I listed) makes DCL-booked air a great choice for cruises during hurricane season, which are the cruises most likely to be disrupted.
  • You can now choose the day and time of your flight via DCL (they didn't use to allow this without an extra fee).
Disadvatages:
  • You can't book a discount carrier like SWA or Jet Blue (which are more cost-effective and often have more non-stop flights) via DCL.
Bottom line: If your plans are set in stone and you're cruising during a low-risk time of year (not hurricane season or winter storm season), you're probably better off booking flights with a discount carrier to get the best deal. But if your plans are tentative or there is some other reason you want Disney to take responsibility for your flights, then DCL might be the better option.

We booked our 7 night Med Cruise and Adventures by Disney Add on and having a tough time finding reasonable airfare. Our travel agent checked with DCL and their prices were coming in about $300 cheaper per ticket than what we were finding and so we went with them, booked DCL hotel the day before and added insurance since it was a pretty penny having the cruise, ABD Add on, hotel, transportation and airfare. While in the terminal waiting for our departing flight, I passed out and was not allowed to board the plane and was transported to Emergency room. Airline contacted Disney, Disney contacted our Travel agent, who called me in the Emergency room, she help sort out things with Correct Disney contact and we flew out the next day. Insurance covered everything, but unfortunately we arrived in Barcelona the day the ship sailed, so we were tried boarding the ship. It was the only time we used Disney air fare, but it did work out.

This sounds like the information I wanted to hear! would love to know your recommendations for excursions. We will be in Naples, Florence, and Rome as well as Nice.

I would suggest looking into Adventure by Disney add on. Expensive, but you will get an exclusive tour group and guides for your whole trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter