• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any post-Disneyland trip illnesses/covid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amylovesdamon

Earning My Ears
For any of you who have recently taken a trip to Disneyland (within last 6 months), would you mind replying and letting me know if you got sick in the week after returning (or maybe even DURING your trip)?
We have a Disneyland trip next week. I'm feeling anxious due to health concerns so just trying to gather some data points to maybe help my brain cope with the potential risks we'll be taking by exposing ourselves to such large crowds. We have done everything we can up to this point (limited contact with people outside our "bubble", low crowds, vaxxed and boosted, masked up, etc) and will continue to mask up, sanitize, and keep ourselves from extremely crowded areas where possible while at Disneyland, but I'm just wondering if other people have felt like they followed all these same precautions, but still ended up getting covid/illnesses that they attributed to their Disneyland exposure? Please reply if you have also been to Disneyland and didn't experience any post-Disney illness in your household; those are useful data points as well!

**please don't comment to offer vaccination and/or covid advice/opinions* I'm strictly looking for experiences related to post-DisneyLAND illnesses in your household that you might attribute to your time at Disneyland.

Just got back with our immunocompromised mom, we didnt get sick but on a past trip my mom had to be taken to the hospital because of a flu. I felt really safe there, we both double masked and even though its not required lots of people wearing masks outside,and inside they are all over it, even if u put your mask down for a second or even if a little kid doesnt cover the nose right away, they ask u too. I was very concerned as well because of my mom but i felt pretty safe, even at smoke jumpers they were limiting how many people could enter at a time., As long as your careful i think u willl be fine.

Canadian here who visited betweren 12/5-9. We had to have a negative PCR test in order to return to Canada.
At the parks, we had our mask on almost at all times and were quite cautious (and paranoid) as several people were coughing. We used hand sanitizer religiously and minimized actual time indoors (dining outside etc).

We actually felt less Covid safe in our hotel. 90% of guests in our hotel did not have masks on at all. Nor did anyone wear masks on the shuttle.

A day after we returned, my husband had a very sore throat and lots of congestion. We were worried so we went to get tested again. Came back negative. Must have been a combination of colder weather, lower immune as we had long Disney days lol

Hope that sheds some insight!

We were recently there for the week of Thanksgiving. We are pretty cautious and masked most of the time inside and outside, tried to avoid crowded areas when possible, and only dined outdoors or in our room. We tested before and after the trip and were all negative and we did not get sick during or after the trip. My kids are 1, 3, and 5, and the 1yo is too young to wear a mask. My older kids were great at keeping their masks on (they’re used to it back home) and we would have breaks outdoors away from others to eat/snack. But they did constantly touch everything (my 3yo is the type that runs her hand along every railing and wall), so we used a lot of hand sanitizer.

We opted to drive and park at Mickey & Friends since it’s included in our MK passes, instead of taking the Toy Story shuttle buses which weren’t too far from where we were staying. We weren’t sure how many people would be masking on the shuttles so decided to play it safe. Indoor masking in the parks was overall pretty good in our experience.

The dining area by Pacific Wharf was really crowded when we were getting food there, and the tables were all shared, so we brought our food over to the outside part of Flo’s. Love that area since we can see the ride go by, and it’s never been crowded when we’ve eaten there.

We tried to only wait in lines that were relatively short. I think the longest we waited was around 30 minutes for WS, but most of that is outside. We mostly avoided Main Street for the parade and fireworks since it was really crowded. Fireworks viewing by IASW was not nearly as crowded and still nice.

Hope that helps and have a fun trip!

We've been several times in the past months including two 2-night stays at a Disney hotel. Neither my husband nor I got sick. I wear a KN95 except when eating and he wears a simple cloth mask.

There are hand sanitizer stations all over the park.

Have a great trip!!

I went in July when mask weren’t required indoors. Mostly didn’t wear one unless we spent extended time in the merged lines (we use a lot of alternate boarding platforms with my brother in a wheelchair). No issues then. Went again in August when mask were required indoors (and we wore them while watching fireworks by IASW). No issues again. Just left today and I wore my mask more out and about, mostly because I’m still getting over a lingering sinus infection and have to clear my throat more frequently (the cold and wet helped break that all up lol). So far nothing, but it could change naturally. This was my 6th trip to DL or WDW since October 2020 and they are probably the best out there about being on top of mask.

We were at DL Nov 20 - 24. We're all vaxxed and boosted, were very careful with mask wearing, sanitizing, etc. DH came home with some congestion, which he chalked up to his allergies. The next day, DS23 woke up with a sore throat. He took a Covid test and was negative. I also had some mild congestion and fatigue, but was also negative. Then DS26 started getting cold symptoms. He was negative for Covid as well. We apparently caught some type of cold virus during our trip. It was mild and none of us had it for more than a few days. We were all a little freaked out until we got our test results.

I've been there five times since reopened, and like you am vaxed and boosted. I do not think I've gotten sick there but I try to be careful. The cast members are good about asking people to mask indoors, but you will likely spend a fair amount of time facing people in the winding lines and quite a few a obviously adamant that proper masking does not apply to their households. I would just get quality masks, and change them thruout the day (I go thru about 5? per day there - just use for x hours and toss). Although there are a lot of hand sanitizer stations they are not always full or convenient - so bring a tiny bottle of your own to use before eating. I too felt the area near Pacific Warf was too full - sadly, the parks had a lot of benches a few months ago but now they've been removed again, so expect to be in search of a clear area to sit and relax. Only time I was in close quarters and felt it was 100% worth it was on Main Street during the castle lighting (and snow). A priceless memory. Enjoy the park!

Last edited:
We’ve been 6 times since it reopened: once in June, once in October, and twice each in November and December. We are vaxxed (and recently boosted), quite careful to mask indoors, and avoid being right on top of others. We have not gotten sick (to our knowledge).

However, as you know, the situation is constantly evolving… it will be more crowded during the next three weeks, and it appears as though we are on the upswing of a new surge.

You have to make your own decisions… not only how you understand the actual risks, but your own ability to deal with any anxiety along the way. None of us can really do more than outline our own experiences for you to interpret. I’m offering my observations below, but will refrain from offering conclusions or advice… you’ll have to interpret the following for you! :)

-much of Disneyland is outdoors
-most restaurants have outdoor seating
-ventilation in most rides is really good
-there really is no call for social distancing anymore, we got crammed into one of the most packed stretching rooms (Haunted Mansion) that I’ve ever seen yesterday
-queues are pretty close quarters, but a: they are mostly outdoors, and b: you keep moving (unless the ride breaks down)
- there are hand sanitizer stations, but not always where I look for them, and they’re sometimes empty
- most people are good about masking indoors… cast members will remind you at some places (ride, restaurants, and store entrances)
- other indoor spaces don’t have cast members posted at entrances (lockers and restrooms, in particular). There are some queues (Toy Story and Space Mountain) that pass through a room before returning outdoors. You will see plenty of people in these spaces who are not wearing masks… just be aware
- parades and fireworks will have crowds… not socially distanced

I hope that helps!

Family just came back from 4 day visit. 2 adults and two kids, did two parks. Said they wore masks except when eating/drinking, used hand wipes and just tried to distance during parade and on line.
they had a great time and no I’ll effects ( it’s only been 5 days but no one with any issues)

We went for Thanksgiving in a group that included my elderly parents and our immunocompromised daughter. We masked at all times except eating and taking pictures. None of us got sick.

But it is important to note that 6 of us were fully vaccinated, with 4 of us having had the booster and our youngest had her first dose (fully vaccinated now). I know you said you didn’t want any discussion about vaccines, but it absolutely plays a part.

I’ve visited several times since Disneyland re-opened and I haven’t gotten sick. I agree with basically everything people said before me but I do guarantee you’re going to be pushed into heavy crowds of people all day long. Just keep your mask on and make sure to continually use hand sanitizer and not touch your face. You should be fine :)

We've been there numerous times, including Veteran's Day weekend, Thanksgiving week, and Candlelight weekend for the last 60 days. We are all vaxxed and boosted. We wear masks inside per Disney rules, and outside if it is very crowded. We have not had any illnesses, whether covid, flu or just the cold. (YET. We head back down next week for 10 days, don't want to jinx myself.)

I go about weekly with one child or the other or both. My last visit was Sunday with both kids and my youngest and I just tested positive for covid today. However,I am pretty certain we got it from our friend and neighbor and not from Disneyland. I guess it’s impossible to know 100% for sure though 🤷‍♀️.

I will say cases are skyrocketing in Southern California and probably all over is my guess. I personally know 10 people living in my town who tested positive this week and home testing kits were completely sold out in our city tonight (I got one from a friend and my son was able to get tested at the pediatrician). I think this is the world we live in at the moment and anytime you gather where their are people, whether 10 or 10,000 you have to understand that you are taking a risk.

Last edited:
MK holders and gone 5+ times since with stays at VGC - vaxed and boosted. -- Taste of, August mid, Labor Day weekend, OBB, November x2. We wear surgical masks indoors and outside only at fireworks/exiting times. Eating outside using QS.

We took Toy Story once since reopening and that was the worst sensation to date IMHO. 15+minutes close in with lots of probably unvaccinated kids at varying stages of crying/yelling/excitement.

No problems. No sickness. Use common sense and chances are pretty good you'll be fine. We didn't purposely go poking the bear, but didn't go full steam N95 either since we can't breathe in the heat with them.

Personal decision on how much mask wearing you need to feel safe. Disney does a very good job at in-doors compliance QA. not so much in the hotel or transit.

Was there 12/4-12/9. Flew home on the 12/10 and started having a sore throat that day. Took a covid test at the airport 12/10, came back negative. Sore throat got much worse and I had a fever, which has now progressed into a stuffed up nose and a nasty cough. I went to the Dr and tested negative for strep and the flu. I got my flu shot this year, as well as both vaccines and the booster. I got another covid test today because I couldn't smell anything but it came back negative (loss of smell must be my stuffed up nose). I haven't been sick since pre-covid. I live in a fairly small community and am not frequently around large groups of people, and am never around children (everyone I know with kids is always sick, I am never around them until at disney last week). I think I got a nasty viral cold from disney from being around way more people (and kids open mouth coughing, I witnessed this occur a few times). I also was really hard on my body, walked 20k-30k steps a day for 6 days in a row with much less rest. I think all these factors made me sick. I think if you don't push yourself as hard as I did you may fare better.

I'll start this out with the fact that I'm on immunosuppressants for an autoimmune disorder. I tend to be really cautious-- I wear masks even outdoors if I don't know people around me (or don't know their vax status).

In June 2021, my daughter, my hubs and I flew to WDW and stayed on-site for 5 days. No issues. What we didn't know when we went on this trip that my first 2 vaxs didn't give me "full" protection; it was only like 56% effective for people on medicines like mine. But I really tried to stay 6 feet away from unknown people despite not knowing about the decreased protection. Often my daughter and hubs stood on each side of me to give me extra cushion. No symptoms of any illness after getting home.

In Sept 2021, I flew to Disneyland on my own and stayed for 3 days. I wore my mask like 60% of the time. If I wasn't within 10 feet of someone, I took it off, but that was about it. Again, no issues getting sick. My autoimmune medication dosage had been lowered, so I felt a little more relaxed with an immune system that wasn't as knocked down as before. I had my 3rd dose of the vax about 12 days before I left for this trip.

In Dec 2021 (2 weeks ago), I flew to Disneyland again. It was another solo trip lasting 3 days. I was more obsessive about my mask this time. My medicine dose had been increased again, so I was moderately concerned about my risk. But obviously not concerned enough to not go to the parks! I haven't had any illnesses in the week after that trip. I tried to limit my close-time with others, but that's hard in some of those lines! If I was in a queue at all, my mask was on. The only time I took it off was to eat and on the walk back to the hotel. It was Stovall's, so there weren't very many people going my way. Maybe 20-30% of people were wearing masks outside.

Edited to add two other thoughts. (1) We also flew to Hawaii in August, and Kansas City last weekend. Never experienced any illnesses after either of those trips either. (2) I work in an administrative office at a hospital, so I have open access to saliva testing, so I generally test a few days before and after I travel anywhere just to make sure I'm still negative. I think this gives me a little better cushion of comfort; I can drop a sample off at 9:00 am, and wear a N95 until I get my results at 1:00 pm.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your responses! This definitely makes me feel like I’m not being completely irresponsible for considering a Disney trip. Thank you for your kind, detailed replies and and loving suggestions. I appreciate your personal perspectives and your genuine desire to understand my fears! ❤️ It’s good to know that others feel like their diligence paid off and they were able to have some control over what they exposed themselves to!

I go about weekly with one child or the other or both. My last visit was Sunday with both kids and my youngest and I just tested positive for covid today. However,I am pretty certain we got it from our friend and neighbor and not from Disneyland. I guess it’s impossible to know 100% for sure though 🤷‍♀️...
Hope that you and your son get well soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter