Any problems with Disney pins in carry-on luggage?

wishicouldgomoreofte

Mouseketeer
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post.
Can you put Disney pins in carry-on luggage, as that could be a weapon?
(My sister had to give up her knitting needles) :headache:
Thanks in advance.

Never had a problem. Had a few pins pinned to my backpack, then had another dozen or so inside the bag to use for trading on my trip to Disneyland in May. No issues with airport security at all. Flew Delta, Atlanta and Los Angeles airports.

I've been doing it for years without a problem. About a year ago something triggered a hand search of my bag. They pulled out the pins along with everything else and just put it all back and let me move on.

I can't imagine using pins as a weapon.

I've seen people with knitting needles in the airport.

From TSA:

In general, you may place your knitting needles and needlepoint tools in carry-on or checked baggage.

Circular thread cutters or any other cutter or needlepoint tools that contain blades must be placed in checked baggage. You are permitted to keep scissors smaller than 4 inches in your carry-on baggage.

Even if an item is generally permitted, it may be subject to additional screening or not allowed through the checkpoint if it triggers an alarm during the screening process, appears to have been tampered with, or poses other security concerns. The final decision rests with TSA on whether to allow any items on the plane.

Give a bit of extra time they get flagged a bit more often then more normal luggage. DH had that with his bag once (although it was our "extra" bag so it only had the pin folder in it... so in the scanner it probably looked like a package full of little shrapnel pieces or something).

If that happens you will just have to open your bag and show them what is in it. They may do the gun powder swab thing and that is all.

Pins are fine.

Knitting needles are generally fine. Not sure what happened or when it was that your sister had that experience.

We have flown with them in carry on, no problem.

Knitting needles were banned in the beginning, but no longer.

If you're ever unsure of an item, you can tweet TSA a picture of the item in question, and they will respond.

We place the WDW pins in a clear zip lock sandwich bag
Never had a problem with carry-on

I usually try to put them in my luggage but one trip we were flying a budget airline so the luggage weight limit was lower. At the last second, I threw our ziploc of 200 pins, mm tubes of pennys, and a bag of glowsticks in my carryon. Lets just say, I got the FULL VIP tour of TSA. They pulled everything out of my bag, I had to explain all of it, full search, etc.

I usually try to put them in my luggage but one trip we were flying a budget airline so the luggage weight limit was lower. At the last second, I threw our ziploc of 200 pins, mm tubes of pennys, and a bag of glowsticks in my carryon. Lets just say, I got the FULL VIP tour of TSA. They pulled everything out of my bag, I had to explain all of it, full search, etc.

Having a bag searched isn't a big deal, though. And it can happen for any reason. This last trip I ridiculously forgot to take my baggies out. I've done that once before. The time before there was no problem, they didn't care. This time they did, and they searched the bag. No biggie. I wasn't arrested, strip searched, not even patted down. I always arrive at an airport at least 2 hours before my flight so it didn't even impact getting to the plane. Zero issues.

Your search might have had nothing to do with the pennies or pins. Or maybe it did. We've had a bag run through the machine 4 times and then searched because of, in separate incidences, an Ikea box of AAA batteries, and for a non-ipod MP3 player b/c they didn't know what it was. Again, no big deal.

I wouldn't put expensive (and often irreplaceable) pins into checked luggage.

And...I just reread...yeah, it was the glowsticks. Those have liquid in them and are unmarked as to how much liquid and they generally don't fit in a 311 baggie. So really they aren't supposed to go into carryon at all. Put the glowsticks in checked next time!

I also have flown with pins in my carry-ons. As others have mentioned, it does seem to trigger an additional search more often than not (the one where they open the carry-on, pull everything out and then put everything back). If you're using a pin bag, that's pretty easy to search. If your pins are on a lanyard, I highly recommend putting the lanyard in a plastic bag (e.g., Ziploc) so that you won't have to worry about any of the pins coming lose and being lost in the process.

I generally have a few in my purse just because I'm always at Disney, and I've never had an issue at any airport. Domestic and international.

I've flown a few times with my pin bag full of about 300+ pins. I had security open the bag once and have a flip through them but that was it. We also called ahead at our home airport to make sure they were ok to go through security and they said yes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter