Any reason to carry cash in the parks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We never use cash but we always carry some. It isn't like it is really heavy to carry and you never know.
It's not that it's heavy, but the less I carry in the parks, the better. And what you don't carry can't be dropped /lost. I'm convinced now that carrying $20 in small bills -- mainly for tips -- is the best option.
A couple pins through the years that folks were looking to trade and a balloon that some folks couldn't take with them. So I offered to buy it from them cause we just started our stay.
I'm kinda laughing at the idea of buying a used balloon.
Cash? What's that?!? I'm surprised to see how many here say that they have cash on them.
In my everyday life, I don't spend cash often. My poor wallet has been holding only the same piddly $1 bill since we last went to school in mid-March.

Do you know we can't even get "cash back" from the grocery store here any more? Fear of COVID 19.

I only ever used it for tips at the resorts. Rarely used it in the parks as I have the Disney Visa and wanted either the discount or the 0%/6mo. In some rare occasions we used cash to buy something but that was usually so I could get smaller bills to give for tips.

I thought I read that they were not accepting cash....only touchless payment options. Did I miss something?

I never carry cash, I mean... never.

However, when we go to parks, I will carry some cash. We may have a couple hundred bucks stashed away, which makes it easy to control spending. There's always a game to play (i.e. Dino Land, etc,). It's also easy to send a kid to get a drink for themselves with a $10 than my credit card!

its much easier to sanitize a keypad than multiple bills so I would imagine during the initial reopening phases, cash will not be readily accepted. “While the term ‘legal tender’ describes the money approved in a country for paying debts or settling commercial transactions, it does not force anyone to accept that form of payment,” Ménard explained. Global News (2020)

One scenario; You are on DDP and you want to buy a bottle of water. You REALLY don't want to use a snack credit for that bottle of water - cash is king.

One scenario; You are on DDP and you want to buy a bottle of water. You REALLY don't want to use a snack credit for that bottle of water - cash is king.
Water can be purchased with a credit card or you can get a free cup of ice water from any QS location.

Like PPs, I always have a small amount of cash on me for reasons others have mentioned - tips, in case charging/MBs go down, in case a vendor doesn't accept card for some reason. But if someone were really uncomfortable carrying any amount of cash on them, there are ATMs in each park where you can get cash if you decide you need it. Assuming you have a debit/ATM card on you. The ATMs are also usually towards the front of the park, so may be inconvenient as well.

I think it comes down to what you are willing to be comfortable with. You are not forced to carry cash, but it is probably a good idea because the system DOES go down. It has been reported many times that the system has gone down anywhere from a few minutes to over a day. With technology, anything can happen. One year at my job, some workers cut the cable line while doing work and down went everyone's internet so no one had ability to use a credit card. It happens. So if you feel that you do not want to take some cash, just in case, then please just don't get angry at the cast members if something goes wrong. And everyone, enjoy their future trips.

You are not forced to carry cash, but it is probably a good idea because the system DOES go down. It has been reported many times that the system has gone down anywhere from a few minutes to over a day.
This is the only reason I carry a little cash with me as this has happened several times. Most trips, I come home with the same amount of cash I left with.
My preference is to put everything on our CC or on the MB (which then goes on the CC) depending where we are.

I always take out a few hundred dollars for any vacation in a mix of bills. I rarely use much of it but I always like that I have some for an emergency. If a day at the park, I would have enough to take a taxi even though Uber/Lyft is ubiquitous and leave the rest at the hotel. I put it in a small side zip pocket inside my bag. I frequently forget that I put it there and pleasantly surprised when I find it the next time I use that bag. :D

I have been where the "system" went down and the kiosks where only accepting cash. We usually charge everything back to our room but do carry about $40 in cash just in case.

This has happened to us several times over the years. So we carry enough cash for just in case.

please, tell me where to find that in the constitution
It's right after the clause where the constitution discusses acceptance of VISA and Discover cards. :)
But you could use a credit card or other form of payment.

It may change, but I have run into several cases where the outdoor kiosks would only take cash. I was at DS shopping and the entire system to process credit card/magic band purchases was down. They were having to manually run credit cards or calling to verify magic band purchases. Fortunately, I had enough cash to pay for my purchase, so it went much faster!

We had an incident while on a beach vacation where a restaurant told us our credit card had been declined and when we gave them a back-up card, it was also declined. I was so embarrassed! I had to leave my family there and walk several blocks to an ATM to get cash to pay for our meal. I was on the phone with my bank while in route and they kept assuring me everything with my cards was fine. By the time I got back, it was clear that it wasn't just us having issues paying and the restaurant's system was the problem. Ever since that incident, I always carry emergency $ in my wallet!

It's no necessary, but I do like the security of just having some money in case our cards aren't working for some reason. It's probably being overly cautious. It's also good for tips, though of course you can pay for that on the card. Finally, it's sometimes just easy for a very small purchase to use cash. But that's more of a personal preference since I'm still used to cash from old habits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter