Any recent Danube Cruisers - summer 2018?

LoveMickey

<font color=red>Can't wait to feel the "wonder" of
Just wondering if anyone would like to comment on their recent Danube river cruise. We're going in September and was wondering how the recent trips have been.

Thanks,

Hello LoveMickey,

I was on the Danube cruise from 7/1-7/8. The trip was incredible. Do you have any specific questions?

I will say that the Adventure Guides are awesome. There are 6 of them: Dean (from Orange Co), Paola (from Puerto Rico), Meghan (from LA), Katka (from Czech Rep), George (from Hungary) and Joshua (from Lichtenstein). They were all great. I was there with my 14 y.o. son and 11 y.o. daughter. My daughter hung out with the Adventure Guides every chance she got. Not sure whether you are travelling with kids...ours loved the trip. The teenagers formed a quick bond and were inseparable for most of the trip (they would hang out together at dinner, on the top deck, in the lounge, etc). A quick tip...if your kids bond with other kids on the trip, be sure to work out picking the same color cards in the morning for the excursions...there were some fights amongst my kids when their friends got different colors and we needed to negotiate with them to figure out which color cards we would pick up. The kids eventually figured out a system where they would all pick a color and everyone would get cards for multiple families.

For those who are used to food on the DCL cruise ships, the river cruise is a bit different in that there are fewer options each night. Usually you only get two entrée options and the food is not super extravagant. It was very tasty, but don't expect lobster tails, crab legs, etc.

Another tip: They have a sip and sail every night before dinner in the lounge...during this happy hour they feature a drink every night, but you are not limited to just that particular drink...anything you order during that time is complimentary. I did not realize this until about day 4 when I saw people ordering other drinks. The wine that they serve with lunch and dinner is actually quite good (many are local)...the beer was pretty mediocre, but it did the trick when you were hot and watching the world float by through the Waccau Valley.

The excursions were all great. We opted for the Apricot Farm, the Tree Tops, the Concert in Vienna and the bike ride to the Abbey, and the Salt Mine tour. I can give you more details about these if you want, but I will just say that they were all great. We loved seeing the concert at the Palace in Vienna. The Salt Mine tour was very interesting and we did it on the perfect day, as it was raining...so we were underground in the dark where it wouldn't bother us. The tree tops was fun (but I really enjoyed the beers and ice cream afterwards and THE PLAYGROUND OF DOOM...the PLAYGROUND OF DOOM is actually just a short distance after the café at the Tree Tops place...we didn't even realize where it was until after we were walking back and wished we had taken more time there...it is not the USA and liability laws/lawsuits must not be as prevalent).

For anyone who is looking for an awesome post-cruise destination, we spent 4 nights in Prague after our cruise. We booked a private transfer from Passau to Prague (it cost about $400 Euros when you include the tip). Ours was a bit more expensive than others, as we stopped in Cresky Krumolov and Hbuloka Castle. If I had it all to do over again, I would have liked to spend much more time in Cresky Krumolov (maybe even an overnight stay)...it is such a beautiful little town.

Thank you Hamilton 23. We are on the Adults only trip, but I'm sure others appreciate your input about the children. Thanks for the tips. DH was interested in knowing about the beers, thanks for that. Is beer and wine complimentary all the time or just at dinner. Thanks for the info on the happy hour.

We start in Germany and sail to Budapest. We're planning on the Salt Mines, Tree tops and some others.

Thanks again.

For anyone who is looking for an awesome post-cruise destination, we spent 4 nights in Prague after our cruise. We booked a private transfer from Passau to Prague (it cost about $400 Euros when you include the tip). Ours was a bit more expensive than others, as we stopped in Cresky Krumolov and Hbuloka Castle. If I had it all to do over again, I would have liked to spend much more time in Cresky Krumolov (maybe even an overnight stay)...it is such a beautiful little town

I'm trying to decide if we should go to Prague after our trip next summer--sounds like we should :) Who did you use for your transfer from Passau to Prague?

The excursions were all great. We opted for the Apricot Farm, the Tree Tops, the Concert in Vienna and the bike ride to the Abbey, and the Salt Mine tour. I can give you more details about these if you want, but I will just say that they were all great. We loved seeing the concert at the Palace in Vienna. The Salt Mine tour was very interesting and we did it on the perfect day, as it was raining...so we were underground in the dark where it wouldn't bother us. The tree tops was fun (but I really enjoyed the beers and ice cream afterwards and THE PLAYGROUND OF DOOM...the PLAYGROUND OF DOOM is actually just a short distance after the café at the Tree Tops place...we didn't even realize where it was until after we were walking back and wished we had taken more time there...it is not the USA and liability laws/lawsuits must not be as prevalent).
laughing so hard at the playground of doom comment. I almost busted my butt in one part. I was glad the tube slide of doom was closed.

Just FYI on our salt mine day the alternative was a day in Mondsee that I loved. Such a beautiful place.

laughing so hard at the playground of doom comment. I almost busted my butt in one part. I was glad the tube slide of doom was closed.
The tube slide of doom was closed on the first trip after someone got stuck -- rumor says it was Guide Danny

Thank you Hamilton 23. We are on the Adults only trip, but I'm sure others appreciate your input about the children. Thanks for the tips. DH was interested in knowing about the beers, thanks for that. Is beer and wine complimentary all the time or just at dinner. Thanks for the info on the happy hour.

We start in Germany and sail to Budapest. We're planning on the Salt Mines, Tree tops and some others.

Thanks again.
There was another thread all about the beer. But it is only complimentary during meals. There is a "hidden" bottle of champagne at breakfast too.

The tube slide of doom was closed on the first trip after someone got stuck -- rumor says it was Guide Danny
:eek:
I was told a couple of people got injured on it because it was ridiculously rough.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter