Any recent Remy impressions? $125 seems steep...

As as "Once In A Lifetime" event, absolutely YES! We have been to Palo and love it. However, it isn't in the same league as Remy. Remy isn't just dining, its an experience. Think Victoria and Alberts at sea. The food was spectacular. It is really art. The service was beyond remarkable. We also added the wine pairing, which took it way over the top. We had such a great time. We will never forget it. Would we do it again? If we hit the lottery, sure. Was it worth the money? Absolutely. No regrets, just great memories.

Sorry some of the pics are sideways. Appleized. lol

We have completed 19 (me) and 20 (DW) DCL cruises, but only 4 or 5 on the Dream class ships, so opportunities to dine at Remy have been more limited than going to Palo. We do either Palo brunch or dinner every cruise (since we’re platinum), and likely both on any cruise longer than 7 nights (which covers most of what we now prefer to book). All that said, we’ve done Remy dinner twice, brunch once, and dessert once. Food was excellent for all, but we prefer the Palo brunch to the Remy brunch. However, both Remy dinners were outstanding, on a par in service and ambience with our V&A experiences at WDW (which were done when there was a 7-course option, so more similar to Remy than the current V&A 10-course meal). DW has a gluten allergy, does not do seafood, and drinks no alcohol. Remy dining staff can work with the limitations and delivery an altered menu that meets our needs. For us, Remy dinner will continue to be a special treat if we happen to sail on the Fantasy in the future.

Add us to the list of those who have Remy as a must-do experience on the Dream-class ships. We’ve now done dinner 11 times, brunch 3 times, and dessert twice. We’ve also eaten at V&A 3 times, and can honestly say that our Remy dinner experiences have been equivalent or better in terms of food quality, and definitely better in terms of service. What they can do at sea is simply amazing, and having the menus from the two chefs creates an amazing variety of tastes. What’s most important to us is how the team at Remy consistently bend over backwards to ensure that you have an outstanding experience. On the rare two or three occasions when a dish didn’t appeal, they insisted on providing a delicious alternative. Yes, it can be expensive (and since we almost always add on the Miyazaki beef, which is one of the most amazing things I’ve ever eaten, even more so), but it is still worth every penny to us.

Can you just do dessert at Remy's or is it only available as an add on to a meal?
From the DCL website:
Remy Dessert Experience
Treat your taste buds to a delectable 5-course dessert menu served with coffee. This adults-only event features an in-depth discussion with Remy’s Executive Chef and Pastry Chef, who will take turns explaining the history and evolution of each sweet selection.

Remy Dessert Experience: $60 charge per person; $25 additional charge per person when adding the wine pairing

Curious to hear from those who live in big cities. I haven’t done Remy because I live in a major city with access to multiple fine dining establishments.

We've been in Boston for 10 years. I swear I am not lying when I say that overall my experiences at Remy have been better than the Grand Omakase at O Ya, which as of recently was literally the most expensive tasting menu in town—the food was in the ballpark quality-wise (although a very different cuisine) and the service was better.

We've been in Boston for 10 years. I swear I am not lying when I say that overall my experiences at Remy have been better than the Grand Omakase at O Ya, which as of recently was literally the most expensive tasting menu in town—the food was in the ballpark quality-wise (although a very different cuisine) and the service was better.

I absolutely agree. We recently moved away from Washington, DC, where we lived the past 10 years. I have also had a ton of meals at high-end restaurants in NYC, where my former employer was based. The Remy brunch we had for $75 per person (more because we added champagne, but that was the base price) was better than many $200 per person tasting menus we've had in DC and New York. It was truly that good. That scallop dish... mmmmmm.

I'm traveling solo as a single parent (so not alone but alone for adult activity purposes) and opted to do the two brunches feeling it would be less weird (less intimate, date night feeling during the day than at night).

One of the nicest parts about doing the brunch is that you get to sit at a table beside the window and look out at the views. We actually saw whales or dolphins while eating (or at least DH did - my head was buried in my food so I don't remember which he said he saw. All I saw was the splash as they dove back into the water but the people at the next table were watching them too).

Can you just do dessert at Remy's or is it only available as an add on to a meal?

It's usually only offered once on a cruise so it's hard to get but really interesting. I'm not a big sweet or dessert fan but these were fantastic and some very different like the sweet ravioli filled with tropical fruits and served in a coconut "soup". We also did the wine pairing which is also very different since they're all dessert wines - not all sweet but those which pair well with sweet things.

One of the nicest parts about doing the brunch is that you get to sit at a table beside the window and look out at the views. We actually saw whales or dolphins while eating (or at least DH did - my head was buried in my food so I don't remember which he said he saw. All I saw was the splash as they dove back into the water but the people at the next table were watching them too).

It's usually only offered once on a cruise so it's hard to get but really interesting. I'm not a big sweet or dessert fan but these were fantastic and some very different like the sweet ravioli filled with tropical fruits and served in a coconut "soup". We also did the wine pairing which is also very different since they're all dessert wines - not all sweet but those which pair well with sweet things.

I had seen that people get window tables and am hoping for one. Again I think it will make the solo dining thing less awkward (I am not a frequent solo diner - I am in a long term committed relationship but my disney trips are just for me and the kiddo). I decided to give it a try to not miss out on all of the adult dining experiences. The benefit is that when you only pay for one it doesn't seem that bad, even $125 for dinner is like eh sure why not? Lol (i know it is more with tip and wine etc but even seeing the $500 number for couples cut back to $250 seems doable to me.)

I'm still on the fence about it (or I should say I haven't given up on the idea ENTIRELY just MOSTLY) - we are in late seating so wondering if I could book an available 6pm time and be back in time to get my son settled for the 8:15 dinner and just sit and enjoy the time with him on a non major show night. Not sure the experience is done in 2 hours but also not sure I can sit more than that anyway without getting antsy about what is going on with the kiddo.

the dessert experience is offered on all of the sea days on our cruise (3 - eastern SWDAS)

I'm still on the fence about it (or I should say I haven't given up on the idea ENTIRELY just MOSTLY) - we are in late seating so wondering if I could book an available 6pm time and be back in time to get my son settled for the 8:15 dinner and just sit and enjoy the time with him on a non major show night. Not sure the experience is done in 2 hours but also not sure I can sit more than that anyway without getting antsy about what is going on with the kiddo.

You could probably do dinner in 2 hours as a solo diner since there's less to coordinate but you might feel rushed and even if you get a window table, you can't see anything once it's dark out. And even though, yes there's only 5 little courses for dinner, they throw in a few little extra bits and pieces here and there which also add up (OMG the bread is soooo good). We actually decided to forgo the cheese course and go right to dessert because I didn't think I'd make it otherwise. And then they still brought some extra little chocolates and treats plus the little box of truffles they give you to go. Brunch is much less food, a bit more casual, great views and a bit shorter and seems reasonably common for solo diners at least both times we've been. The dessert experience is also a good option for something really different.

You could probably do dinner in 2 hours as a solo diner since there's less to coordinate but you might feel rushed and even if you get a window table, you can't see anything once it's dark out. And even though, yes there's only 5 little courses for dinner, they throw in a few little extra bits and pieces here and there which also add up (OMG the bread is soooo good). We actually decided to forgo the cheese course and go right to dessert because I didn't think I'd make it otherwise. And then they still brought some extra little chocolates and treats plus the little box of truffles they give you to go. Brunch is much less food, a bit more casual, great views and a bit shorter and seems reasonably common for solo diners at least both times we've been. The dessert experience is also a good option for something really different.
Thanks, that has been my gut feeling on brunch even though it was not necessarily explicitly stated. I just think during the day would be less intimate and less like "date night" and it seems like others do too. I also think that a longer experience would not be as much fun solo, I'd get bored having no one to talk to (I'm a ridiculously slow eater because I chatter away nonstop.) So I think I will stick with brunch!

I have Remy brunch first sea day and Palo brunch 2nd (just worked out better with other tastings I wanted and times otherwise I'd do palo first then remy!) and our 3rd day at sea is the SWDAS so I don't have anything else booked that day expecting to be doing star wars activities with the kiddo.

As as "Once In A Lifetime" event, absolutely YES! We have been to Palo and love it. However, it isn't in the same league as Remy. Remy isn't just dining, its an experience. Think Victoria and Alberts at sea. The food was spectacular. It is really art. The service was beyond remarkable. We also added the wine pairing, which took it way over the top. We had such a great time. We will never forget it. Would we do it again? If we hit the lottery, sure. Was it worth the money? Absolutely. No regrets, just great memories.

Victoria & Alberts at sea is an excellent way of putting the experience at Remy. Every time we are on a ship that offers Remy, we book it for that very reason. The experience is amazing. It's a feast for the stomach and the eyes.

I have not gone to Remy brunch yet, but would love to try it at some point.

Well I'm seeing nothing but positive reviews so I guess I should give a contrasting perspective here. We live in a big city. We have eaten at many expensive and famous restaurants (e.g., French Laundry, Victoria & Alberts x3, etc) and I guess we consider ourselves foodies. At least, we go big on an expensive dinner at least once a year. Anyway, we love Victoria and Alberts but Remy is no V&A. We dined there in Sept 2019, did the wine pairing, caviar, champagne pairing, and a few other up sells - so I believe we gave it our best shot. The caviar was incredible - probably the best we've ever had and this is a typical anniversary treat. But other than that, the meal was very forgettable and bland. The service was good but we found it to be a little too much showy - a little over the top, such as presenting the dessert in a fancy egg shaped vessel. I don't mind this, but the food is really what I'm there for. The ingredients don't seem as fresh as a land based restaurant, which makes sense. We also spent nearly a grand on this one meal, so the experience just didn't match the cost. In the end, it was a good meal, not great...especially for the price point.

That being said, we loved Remy for dinner and would go back to that in a heartbeat. Remy brunch (all of these were on the same cruise) was nice but a buffet experience, so we preferred the dinner. I don't go for quantity - I prefer quality. But dinner at Palo was a very good value and a great quality! We preferred the service at Palo as well because it was less showy and more down to earth. They weren't trying to impress with theatrics as much as letting the food speak for itself. Personally, I'd save my money with Remy and hit up V&A either before or after the cruise, with a Palo dinner on the cruise itself.

Hubby and I had dinner at Remy last month on the Fantasy. It was delicious. That said, we seem to be in the minority that it didn't totally blow us away. We are foodies and have done tasting menus at some of the greatest restaurants in NY and chef's table at V&A, and while we really loved Remy and the service was impeccable, it didn't measure up to our top 3 other meals. "Worth" is relative, and for us, we don't regret having spent that money to give it a try, so I guess we'd say it was worth it for the one time. We agree we wouldn't spend that again on Remy. Maybe the problem for us was we didn't do the wine pairing? That certainly would have elevated the experience, but we were on our last night and were already way over budget LOL. Still I would recommend trying it for yourself, your experience might be different. We agree that we would happily spend $40 on Palo brunch again, and we MAY (if we cruise on DCL many more times) give Remy brunch a try eventually.

Hubby and I had dinner at Remy last month on the Fantasy. It was delicious. That said, we seem to be in the minority that it didn't totally blow us away. We are foodies and have done tasting menus at some of the greatest restaurants in NY and chef's table at V&A, and while we really loved Remy and the service was impeccable, it didn't measure up to our top 3 other meals. "Worth" is relative, and for us, we don't regret having spent that money to give it a try, so I guess we'd say it was worth it for the one time. We agree we wouldn't spend that again on Remy. Maybe the problem for us was we didn't do the wine pairing? That certainly would have elevated the experience, but we were on our last night and were already way over budget LOL. Still I would recommend trying it for yourself, your experience might be different. We agree that we would happily spend $40 on Palo brunch again, and we MAY (if we cruise on DCL many more times) give Remy brunch a try eventually.

Palo is breathtakingly good

...We agree we wouldn't spend that again on Remy. Maybe the problem for us was we didn't do the wine pairing? That certainly would have elevated the experience, but we were on our last night and were already way over budget LOL. ...

Having done the wine pairing at both Remy and Palo, this was another point of disappointment for us. The wine at Remy while good did not pair well with the food, shockingly. However, the champagne pairing was great. The wine pairing at Palo, though, was also great. But this might be more a reflection of the sommelier rather than the restaurant, per se.

We've been to both. Palo brunch and dinner multiple times each, and Remy dinner once. I loved the atmosphere at Remy, but did not care for the food at all. And we are no strangers to upscale cuisine (we loved Victoria and Albert's at the Grand Floridian). At Palo we loved both the atmosphere and the food. The lone exception to that was during our most recent Palo brunch when each guest had a crew member follow them around at the buffet who would serve the food to them. I found that to be incredibly uncomfortable and really ruin the whole feel of the brunch. That's why I skipped Palo brunch wile we were on the Fantasy this past summer and one of the reasons I'm not likely to go back. The other reasons are that on sea day, I really enjoy Cabanas for breakfast and lunch and you basically have to skip both to do Palo brunch properly.

We've been to both. Palo brunch and dinner multiple times each, and Remy dinner once. I loved the atmosphere at Remy, but did not care for the food at all. And we are no strangers to upscale cuisine (we loved Victoria and Albert's at the Grand Floridian). At Palo we loved both the atmosphere and the food. The lone exception to that was during our most recent Palo brunch when each guest had a crew member follow them around at the buffet who would serve the food to them. I found that to be incredibly uncomfortable and really ruin the whole feel of the brunch. That's why I skipped Palo brunch wile we were on the Fantasy this past summer and one of the reasons I'm not likely to go back. The other reasons are that on sea day, I really enjoy Cabanas for breakfast and lunch and you basically have to skip both to do Palo brunch properly.
Cast members filling plates at Palo brunch appears to be an exception (unless you ask for such assistance). We’ve had to do this only once in about 15 brunches on Magic, Wonder, and Fantasy. I think it happens when there’s extra concern about contamination due to noro or flu.

Cast members filling plates at Palo brunch appears to be an exception (unless you ask for such assistance). We’ve had to do this only once in about 15 brunches on Magic, Wonder, and Fantasy. I think it happens when there’s extra concern about contamination due to noro or flu.

This is another major reason why we prefered dinner at Palo. We has a cast member filling our plates with food at the Palo brunch in this past September (when there was no issues with noro or flu), which I guess was meant to be helpful but felt invasive and awkward. (I do recommend ordering the "secret" off menu grape and Gorgonzola pizza if you do happen to hit up the brunch, though.)

This is another major reason why we prefered dinner at Palo. We has a cast member filling our plates with food at the Palo brunch in this past September (when there was no issues with noro or flu), which I guess was meant to be helpful but felt invasive and awkward. (I do recommend ordering the "secret" off menu grape and Gorgonzola pizza if you do happen to hit up the brunch, though.)

Hmm. That wasn't a thing at our last Palo brunch. I agree that it could be a bit awkward but if they're doing it on our next cruise in August I'll be OK with it. As someone with a food allergy -- strawberries -- I'd welcome it at any buffet, in particular a breakfast/brunch buffet. My allergy is usually totally easy to avoid and it isn't life-threatening; it's more like a sensitivity, really... but every once in a while someone uses the serving utensils from one dish for another (please don't) and in spite of my better judgement (note to self: do not eat the beautiful mesclun salad that's parked next to the strawberry-spinach salad, ever) I win an all-expenses-paid trip to Hive City. Partially my fault, but still not fun. At least on DCL they're pretty clueful about watching out for this, and when I tell them about it they'll make sure my food isn't cross-contaminated. Also... sometimes I wonder where/if people learn their basic hygiene. Maybe because of my allergy, I'm acutely conscious of what's going on with buffet food and serving utensils. Believe me, it's gross, and it's not just the kids. Try not to pay attention at Cabanas and you'll be much happier. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter