• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any rumors for new DVC properties?

DisFlan said:
I'm not sure how they could be significantly smaller than BCV, BWV et al, and still be considered "villas". I'm assuming CRVs will be fairly high points because of location, and I wouldn't want to use mega points for a smaller "villa-ette" - even though it would be the CR.

I agree with you about the smaller units. We like the space of a 1- or 2-BR, as well as the convenience of a washer/dryer and a dishwasher. I read somewhere on these boards that a DVC at CR may just have studios, which would be disappointing for us. On the other hand, when we heard about a DVC at the Beach Club, DH and I looked down that narrow space between the BC and Epcot and thought "no way, unless they're just smaller units", but Disney found a way.

DisFlan said:
ugly Leave a Legacy grave stones at Epcot

My sentiments exactly!

DisFlan said:
As for the "Persian" resort (or Venetian or whatever it was), I think I read that they DIDN'T build it because of ground problems. But that might just be another rumor.DisFlan

On an early map of WDW, the Venetian was supposed to go on the piece of land between the CR and the TTC, and I've heard they weren't able to build a stable foundation there, but DH believes it could be done. The Persian was supposed to go north of the CR where the monorail spur leads (east of the MK). The Asian was supposed to go where the Grand Floridian is now -- same site, different theme. Someone posted a copy of that map here on the boards but I'm not sure where. I'll try to find it for you.

After the spread-out multi-building condo-feel SSR (which I love!), it would seem to make sense to offer a hotel-feel resort with room service, hallways & elevators. As for the size, I'm not sure what incentive there is for Disney to build smaller if they don't have to....

I am curious about the off-WDW resorts. Do they make money? Does it make sense to build more? Have there been any rumors about any locations?

When I was in Gettysburg, PA. there was talk around town about Disney purchasing property. Most were assuming it was linked to the Virginia theme park idea, but others thought it may be a resort.

DrTomorrow said:
After the spread-out multi-building condo-feel SSR (which I love!), it would seem to make sense to offer a hotel-feel resort with room service, hallways & elevators. As for the size, I'm not sure what incentive there is for Disney to build smaller if they don't have to....

Okay, maybe just ONE hotel-feel, full service resort. Wait...that's BWV with elevators.;)

I wouldn't really mind having the choice of a hotel-feel DVC. But it would depend on the execution of it. The architectural concept would have to be really creative and well done and to tempt me - not just a "contemporary" hotel type that looks and feels like about a thousand others.

DisFlan

I think there is no way they can make a stuido's only DVC...it would exclude too many famlies.

We spoke with a guide in September at the WL and he told us:

1. AKL
2. Contemporary
3. Disneyland
4. Hawaii

And he said if we want to keep up with any other rumors/breaking news, we could find it on the DIS... :teeth:

slk537 said:
We spoke with a guide in September at the WL and he told us:

1. AKL
2. Contemporary
3. Disneyland
4. Hawaii

Did he have those in order?? It sounds like a great list in any order!! I was thinking it would be DL, CR, HI, EP, AKL (although I was hoping not EP!) AKL first would suprise me.

So... some one actually said the H - word. :cool1: Previously others were told to "think BIG" with some hints. I like seeing an off site resort.

I wonder how far off it will be....now that I just did a add on....I might have serious decisions to make if VAKL, AKLV, or whatever it's called. ;)

2 years? 3 years?

If the 16 story CR DVC rumor is accurate, we would lose all interest. We don't go to WDW to stay in a high rise hotel. It is one of the reason the original CR holds no appeal to us. Same with the Swolphin.

BCV23 said:
If the 16 story CR DVC rumor is accurate, we would lose all interest. We don't go to WDW to stay in a high rise hotel. It is one of the reason the original CR holds no appeal to us. Same with the Swolphin.
You would lose all interest in what? The DVC? Seems a bit harsh don't you think?

dbm20th said:
You would lose all interest in what? The DVC? Seems a bit harsh don't you think?

I think BCV23 meant she/he would lose interest in the idea/excitement of a DVC at CR/monorail if they built the DVC in that manner or the idea of possibly purchasing points there. But I guess they could tell you better!!!

lisaviolet said:
I think BCV23 meant she/he would lose interest in the idea/excitement of a DVC at CR/monorail if they built the DVC in that manner or the idea of possibly purchasing points there. But I guess they could tell you better!!!

Thanks, that is exactly what I meant. :sunny:

dbm20th, we are very happy owners of BCV...hence my name. ;) Many of us have been happily enjoying CR rumors for months. But this is the first mention I've seen of a high rise. It truly holds no appeal to me. But that is just me. Others might love it.

Another thought about that particular rumor. If the open portion of the U were to face Bay Lake, those rooms would be the least private. I would think the same people who would enjoy the more quiet view of Bay Lake would also be the same who would most relish the sense of solitude and quiet enjoyed by being on the outside of any such U shaped structure. If the rumor is correct, half of the building would enjoy privacy and views of Seven Seas Lagoon and MK. The other side would be looking at neighbors rooms and Bay Lake secondarily.

Gotcha! Sorry

Well I think the only solution is that they need to expand the monorail!

Also, I ahve read in previous posts I found on DIS that Disney will likely not expand off WDW property because of how poorly they did selling VB and HHI. Is that still true?

BCV23 said:
I'm curious - honest, no flames no agenda - what the difference is between being on the 4th floor of BCV and the 4th floor of a 16 floor CRV?

Be well.

My husband was talking with an employee at the Contemporary about 2 weeks ago, and was told that they were going to tear down the north Wing, and build an 8 story building in 3 years.

Well, a number of things to me.

First of all, my chances of being on a 4th floor or lower are reduced if I'm in a 16 story building.

Secondly, if I'm on the 4th floor in a U shaped building, the 5th through 16th floors across the U are looming over me.

Thirdly, many more people are waiting for elevators and sharing the same in a high rise. It is the difference between waiting for an elevator in a Polynesian longhouse with 2 or 3 stories to waiting at the CR where many more are waiting to access the elevator.

Landscaping is an enormous part of a vacation for me. That is lost in a high rise.

The very look of a high rise doesn't appeal to me. But no flames here either Dr. T as it is a very personal taste and fun to discuss. What will we do when the rumors are no more? :sunny:

tazleiten12 said:
My husband was talking with an employee at the Contemporary about 2 weeks ago, and was told that they were going to tear down the north Wing, and build an 8 story building in 3 years.

Yet another interesting report. Thanks for another rumor. :sunny: Let's keep them going. It's fun.

When we were at WDW last month, I asked two CMs at a DVC kiosk in the MK about a CR DVC. One said he couldn't answer even if he knew on penalty of death. :rotfl2:

Wow that CVR is changing hights by the moment! A 4-5 story, then 16 story, now 8 story.

Well the way the renovations are going on the CR it might be 3 years before they are done!! Then they can move on to building the CRV.

lisareniff said:
Did he have those in order?? It sounds like a great list in any order!! I was thinking it would be DL, CR, HI, EP, AKL (although I was hoping not EP!) AKL first would suprise me.

So... some one actually said the H - word. :cool1: Previously others were told to "think BIG" with some hints. I like seeing an off site resort.

The order he gave us was:

CR
AKL
DL
HI

He didn't mention EP at all - and actually told us AKL before CR, but that was because we indicated we wanted to addon at VWL and he thought we'd prefer AKL. He told us to wait and see because big things would be happening soon. And then he listed them.

But he did indeed say the "H" word out loud after he made us guess :teeth:

I agree - AKL could be lots of fun! I'm no architect and don't know how they could do it, but the fantasy idea of a 1br villa with a savannah view just tickles me. I'd have to buy allergy meds in cases, but I could make that sacrifice...

DH and I had a conversation a while back about how lovely it would be if they would do some mini modifications to some of the resorts to allow for DVC type villas. Poly, AKL, GF, CR...so we could use points and enjoy the resorts without giving up the DVC space. and kitchen/whirlpool tub convenience. Sounds like DVC may be headed in that direction.

And the idea of maybe possibly getting into a resort in HI when we want, just by calling REALLY early in the morning 7 months prior instead of getting on the II waitlist two years in advance really appeals.

Who knows what'll happen, but it is fun to dream, isn't it?
:cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter