Any running support/accountability threads?

Twoboysnmygirl

DIS Veteran
Hello Disney runners! I ran for years, ran 3 halfs a 10k and a challenge at Disney and was totally hooked, even if I couldnt quite always afford it and have some healthy issues that slowed me down and made me get injured often.
Last run I did was right before covid hit, did the Princess 10k in 2020and promptly got the flu and spent the rest of the race weekend in the room! Yuck! Anywho...

Covid, injuries, and getting involved in rescue basically derailed my running completely and ate up all my time. I've gained 50 pounds, everything hurts and I feel so old! I want to get back to it but it is so daunting and frustrating to start back at huffing and puffing to try run for 1 minute when I used to run halfs! 🤦‍♀️
Are there any others trying to get back to it or just starting that want to join forces to support each other? I had/have a super awesome group of ladies previously that met up and spent time together and ran at the races and it's so helpful to have the support...but naturally I cant keep up with anyone at this point so need to connect with some people just getting started or back to it!

Anyone else who used to run and lost that path and gained a ton of weight? It's so frustrating to see how far I've fallen.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20220218-064420_Timehop.jpg
    SmartSelect_20220218-064420_Timehop.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 25
Hurray for a return to running! If you haven't stopped by the running thread - 2022, I would definitely recommend it. I have found the folks there to be very supportive and full of good info and advice. There are some that consistently do high mileage and times faster than I can dream of but here are also those coming back from injury or newer to running. All skill levels.

Take it easy on yourself. Start slow and ease back into it. Rushing into too much too soon is a recipe for disaster.

I took much of 2019 and 2020 away from running. I then spent 2021 running for the fun of it and not chasing PRs like I had in 2017 & 2018. I'm finally getting back to where I was but I had to start right back at the beginning.

Give yourself grace and understanding and just keep at it. There's no shame in starting over.

Hurray for a return to running! If you haven't stopped by the running thread - 2022, I would definitely recommend it. I have found the folks there to be very supportive and full of good info and advice. There are some that consistently do high mileage and times faster than I can dream of but here are also those coming back from injury or newer to running. All skill levels.
Thank you, I will check out the thread! I know I need to immerse myself again so that's a good place to start!
Take it easy on yourself. Start slow and ease back into it. Rushing into too much too soon is a recipe for disaster.

I took much of 2019 and 2020 away from running. I then spent 2021 running for the fun of it and not chasing PRs like I had in 2017 & 2018. I'm finally getting back to where I was but I had to start right back at the beginning.

Give yourself grace and understanding and just keep at it. There's no shame in starting over.
I'm trying to give myself some grace but it's not my strong suit.😂 I tend to feel like if I give myself grace, I will hauy continue to make excuses and slack off! Maybe that's my problem though, not enough grace and too much negative self talk!
I'm where you are, covid made me lazy. I started a training journal on that board to keep myself accountable and others cheer me own. Would be a great place to lay out your plans so we could all cheer you on. :)
That's a great idea, I used to have a blog for my running when I ran my first half and i loved it!

I agree that you need a community. I'd find a running group or hiking group to get you started again. The tough bit is that you might have to start at 10 minutes a day of walking to work your way back up. Don't do too much too soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter