Any seasoned vegetarians?

mom2grace

DIS Veteran
I recently went vegetarian, I rarely ate meat alone. So far so good, but I'm not hardcore. I will eat a bite of bacon and I don't care if foods have animal broth, etc. I still eat fish and dairy products, and eggs.

My dilemma: We cook a lot. I'm searching for a substitute for wings, etc. As in, we make our own marinade, I need something I can marinade and eat. I do use portobello mushrooms for many things. I eat lentils and get plenty of protein and I don't eat meat 'substitutes' in general.

Any ideas?

I know you said you don't like them, but in addition to portobello mushrooms there are some great "chicken" substitutes (I've been using the Beyond Meat strips) but I don't know how they hold up to marinades? You can also do just stirfries with firm tofu. That will soak up flavor.

Google cauliflower buffalo wings. They are fabulous! A vegan staple, but I noticed grocery stores are even carrying frozen ones now so they seem to be well accepted by meat eaters. The grocery store ones are full of crap so I suggest making your own.

I like how somehow who still eats fish calls herself a vegetarian. :rolleyes:

This is why people hate vegetarians / vegans. I am not saying she has the definition right (bacon, fish, and animal broth definitely don't define vegetarians) but she is trying. How about we not judge and just be happy she is looking at ideas for reducing her animal product intake?

This is why people hate vegetarians / vegans. I am not saying she has the definition right (bacon, fish, and animal broth definitely don't define vegetarians) but she is trying. How about we not judge and just be happy she is looking at ideas for reducing her animal product intake?

I didn't realize I was hated ;)

Reducing animal intake is great, but I do agree that someone that still eats broth, fish, bites of bacon, etc, shouldn't call themselves a vegetarian, simply because then people that really ARE vegetarian suffer from the gray area that creates. When I tell people I don't eat meat, they just naturally assume that I'll eat fish because I think so many people call themselves vegetarian but eat seafood that it muddies the waters. I seriously am all for everyone reducing their intake of animal products and I'm not judging the OP for still eating those few items, but I do wish people wouldn't use the term vegetarian if they aren't, by definition, practicing vegetarianism.

I know you said you don't like them, but in addition to portobello mushrooms there are some great "chicken" substitutes (I've been using the Beyond Meat strips) but I don't know how they hold up to marinades? You can also do just stirfries with firm tofu. That will soak up flavor.

Beyond Meat is AWESOME! I am not big on "fake meat" but this stuff, I can do.

I didn't realize I was hated ;)

Reducing animal intake is great, but I do agree that someone that still eats broth, fish, bites of bacon, etc, shouldn't call themselves a vegetarian, simply because then people that really ARE vegetarian suffer from the gray area that creates. When I tell people I don't eat meat, they just naturally assume that I'll eat fish because I think so many people call themselves vegetarian but eat seafood that it muddies the waters. I seriously am all for everyone reducing their intake of animal products and I'm not judging the OP for still eating those few items, but I do wish people wouldn't use the term vegetarian if they aren't, by definition, practicing vegetarianism.

Trust me, I know what you mean. I've eaten this way for a long time and I am still asked if I eat fish or "just a little meat, right?" Ugh! I just prefer to take a gentler approach like, "That's so great that you want to reduce your animal intake. You aren't a vegetarian yet since you are still consuming meat, but I'd be happy to provide some recipes to help you out if you are interested?" I'm trying to take the nicer approach in 2016. It's only day two so give me a week or so to break the resolution! :laughing:

But, yeah, I really do think many people dislike vegetarians.

Trust me, I know what you mean. I've eaten this way for a long time and I am still asked if I eat fish or "just a little meat, right?" Ugh! I just prefer to take a gentler approach like, "That's so great that you want to reduce your animal intake. You aren't a vegetarian yet since you are still consuming meat, but I'd be happy to provide some recipes to help you out if you are interested?" I'm trying to take the nicer approach in 2016. It's only day two so give me a week or so to break the resolution! :laughing:

But, yeah, I really do think many people dislike vegetarians.

Ok I think we are on the same page then. I think the biggest obstacle facing "activists" of any kind is their delivery. When I started two years ago I promised my friends, family, and most importantly my steak and potatoes husband that I'm going to do this and I will NOT push it on to them, and I haven't. If they ask questions I'll give information, but I think that people will never choose to do something (or at least stick to it) if they aren't completely ready, so I don't pressure. Was just commenting on the semantics issue! :hippie:

When I tell people I don't eat meat, they just naturally assume that I'll eat fish because I think so many people call themselves vegetarian but eat seafood that it muddies the waters.
A lot of people only consider beef & pork to be meat. I have heard people say I don't eat meat only Fish & Poultry. I am always like WHAT? Fish & Poultry are MEAT.

A lot of people only consider beef & pork to be meat. I have heard people say I don't eat meat only Fish & Poultry. I am always like WHAT? Fish & Poultry are MEAT.

Sorry OP this is such a threadjack but I have to say, when I was explaining to my 86-year old grandmother that I was no longer eating meat, she said "well, you can still eat chicken?" and I said "no, no chicken either". She said "But a chicken isn't an animal! It only has two legs! Animals have four legs!"

My DD is vegan (so are we). She doesn't eat dairy because it doesn't agree with her. A person she knows gives her a MILK chocolate bar multiple times a year and says she always makes sure to put one aside for her because she knows she is vegan. :faint: She just smiles and thanks her now because after explaining it a dozen times, she has quit trying. She went to a lunch today where the host went out of her way to make a "vegan" dessert....it had eggs and dairy in it. At least the main dish appeared to be vegan so she ate that and said she was just too full for dessert.

OP'er, we've really hijacked this thread, haven't we? Oops!

OP'er, we've really hijacked this thread, haven't we? Oops!

I know! I feel obligated to post more recipes but I have none haha. It's not exciting but I tend to eat the same 12 meals over and over and over again.

I know! I feel obligated to post more recipes but I have none haha. It's not exciting but I tend to eat the same 12 meals over and over and over again.

I have tons of recipes, but for wings I just do the cauliflower buffalo wings I suggested. Of course, there is apparently some kind of cauliflower shortage now and it is ridiculously expensive so I probably wasn't of any help anyway!

She went to a lunch today where the host went out of her way to make a "vegan" dessert....it had eggs and dairy in it.
Another issue where people either don't know the difference between Vegan & Vegetarian or use Vegan when they mean Veg and just confuse it for everyone.

(Sorry for the major hijack OP)

OP here. I thought if I put pescetarian/ovo-lacto vegetarian it would get way off topic over what that meant.

I don't eat any meat other than fish, and I'm allergic to shellfish. I don't want family & friends to go out of their way for me. If there's bacon in a salad or vegetable, I just pick it out. But I don't freak out if I eat a bite. I do cook meat for my family, DH is Texan. (Not to propagate any stereotypes! :-) )

I will probably not be vegan, never giving up hershey kisses & reese cups!

I'm in graduate school to be a nurse practitioner & I want to model healthy behaviors. That drove my decision along with the aging process.

I made a yummy vegetarian biryani yesterday and my extended family loved it.

I hate artifical flavors and am looking for something that is plain. Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, cauliflower is $5/head but it's good to have options. And really, pound for pound it's probably equal to chicken or beef. I have not tried tofu yet. A local bar serves seitan wings. I'll ask them for suggestions too. I haven't seen seitan in my area stores but I'm sure I could find it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter