Any suggestions for NFL playoffs viewing, apart from ESPN?

klam_chowder

<font color=royalblue>Got her own private pool dan
I'd like to see the AFC 1:35pm game on Sat Jan 16, and will check out ESPN but can't (and am unwilling) to get there at 10:30am to squat a table. I'm expecting I won't be able to get a seat at ESPN so was wondering if there's anywhere else in DTD that might be a good place? Or anything in Garden Walk?

It's also Star Wars Race Weekend so I'm thinking DLR might be a bit crowded with people being there but looking to stay off their feet a bit (like me) so I'd like a couple of back up options. Won't have a car either. :headache:

Any suggestions, much appreciated!

cheers,
:)

I'd like to see the AFC 1:35pm game on Sat Jan 16, and will check out ESPN but can't (and am unwilling) to get there at 10:30am to squat a table. I'm expecting I won't be able to get a seat at ESPN so was wondering if there's anywhere else in DTD that might be a good place? Or anything in Garden Walk?

It's also Star Wars Race Weekend so I'm thinking DLR might be a bit crowded with people being there but looking to stay off their feet a bit (like me) so I'd like a couple of back up options. Won't have a car either. :headache:

Any suggestions, much appreciated!

cheers,
You should call all of the places at Garden Walk and ask if they'll be showing it and if they have a procedure for getting a table or spot at the bar. We wanted to watch the Final Four about 10 years ago and were told by ESPN Zone they weren't going to be showing the game we wanted at all.

Where are you staying? Would it be possible to get back to your hotel room to watch the game? At least that way you know you'll be able to see the game (assuming the TV gets the station, but I think most of the playoff games are televised nationally) and you'll know you'll be able to sit down.

Otherwise, you might consider contacting Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen and the House of Blues. I believe both restaurants have bars with a TV, but seating may be very limited (neither are Sports Bars). I know that Brennan's Jazz Kitchen does have a TV by the bar, but I think there are only a handful of seats at the bar (the tables are for the table service restaurant). I also don't know how they decide what to show or whether they'd allow/encourage folks to watch an entire game.

ESPN zone is 100% your best bet from experience. Great news is you really dont have to squat a table. I'd suggest being there maybe 30 min to an hour before kickoff and you will be probably be seated much quicker than you think. Most people will forget its playoffs because its a saturday and they are at disneyland. The ones who do remember will be walking in after the game has started.

I've been told McFadden's at gardenwalk has Tv's, but I've only heard bad things about it. Rainforest Cafe(across from ESPN zone) has tvs at their bar as well.

Thx a mint all for the replies and info all - much appreciated!

I'll be staying off property but within 10 min walk to DLR so the "worse case scenario" is that I'll watch it from my hotel room but I thought it'd be a better atmosphere elsewhere - definitely better snacks and desserts :rolleyes:

Great to know that locals don't crowd ESPN like I erroneously thought they would. Sounds like I'll check it out around 1pm, and if it's not crazy (I don't mind some wait of course but when I watched a game at WDW ESPN a few years ago, we were lucky and got a spot but it was insane - so much so that when we offered another couple to share our table/bench, the wife was so happy she bought us dessert! :love1:)

Very helpful to know about the ones to avoid too - thx Ckkk!

Wonderful to have a backup plans in place…thx all, and go Pats! :teeth:

cheers,

Everytime I have been to ESPN Zone on a football Sunday it has been crazy packed and the wait has been ridiculous. You'll either need to get there early and put your name in or try to watch it somewhere else. Last time we went, in September, one person from our party went at about 1145 to get us a table and we got seated just about 130.

Wow, fab to know I can put in my name…thx for the detailed info & tips, tlovesdis! :yay:After I get cleaned up after the run, I'll probably head back down to DTD to do some browsing/shopping (got to pick up some new tsummies!) - I'll pop in after they open and see what the situation is like, if they're taking names, etc. If it's too crazy, I'll just pick up some lunch and snacks in DTD and head back to my hotel and watch it there.

cheers,

Whenever I've been at DLR during any kind of playoffs or big event there's been stanchions out at ESPN and a long line, sometimes with a switchback. I don't know how bar seating works, but I don't see getting a table in 30 minutes if it's a popular game. FYI they don't have any NFL games listed on their schedule for the next 2 weeks, you might want to call and check. You can also try the Sports Bar filter on Yelp with DLR in the map area. There's a place called Clancy's just south of the Toy Story lot, but again call to make sure they'll have the game. Some bars have specific packages and can't show everything.

We were there for opening weekend in September. It was nuts! You could put your name in but there was no time...it was literally stand by. Could be 30 min ..could be 2 hours. Also there was a $10 per person per hour minimum. That adds up quickly if you have 4 people or so...40 bucks an hour for 3 hours that's 120 bucks. We left and went to Buffalo Wild Wings at the outlets at orange

Last year while at the Star Wars races, we watched the Seahawks play at Clancy's on Harbor. http://clancysamericangrill.com/home.html Nice place, good food, not too crazy or crowded.

We're at the races again this year and hopefully we'll be watching the Hawks play round 2 of the playoffs from Clancy's again this year!

Okay, thx a mint for all the feedback on experiences - much appreciated! :worship:

I won't bother with ESPN. Since I'll still go to DTD, depending on how it's going, I'll either just pick up some lunch & snacks from DTD and watch it from my hotel, or head to Clancy's which is a straight shot up Harbor on ART. I feel good having a plan in place now.

tiki23, appreciate the link to Clancy's - checked it out...looked good. It'll be my first SW race w/end - so excited and HAVE to work on my costumes today...LOL! Have fun with the race(s)...May the Course be with you! :yoda:

cheers,

Shakeys Pizza at Ball/Harbor has ESPNZone like setup. With $8 Lunch Buffet or $6ayce Salad Bar. Around corner from DTD and easy entrance 2 DL parking. Beer pitcher prices not bad.

ESPNZone, to get in get there early. And its GameOn is $10 food per hour to sit there.

Other DTD with TVs, HoB, Naples, Hearthstone Lounge, Tortills Jos. But all are small and be crowded

Last edited:
PLEASE stay away from Shakey's Pizza. So gross. (no offense @Bud Ice ) it's so processed and salty.

I like McCormick and Schmicks at Garden Walk and they have great Happy Hour on their food (but not drinks). And if you don't want bar appetizers you can order great seafood/burgers. Also if you join the Landry's Select club for $25 you get $25 in Welcome credit and $25 for your birthday month. Plus, it's never too busy (as none of Garden Walk ever is).

ESPN is hit or miss - you can always put your name in and wander DTD and come back when your reservation is ready. $10 an hour is pretty easy to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter