Any suggestions

lovethattink

TPAS Moderator
We're doing a weekend trip at Disney. I just had surgery last Tuesday. Doc ok'd the trip, even said I can go in a pool as long as it's just to wade. Can I get a GAC? What do I need to bring with me. I have discharge papers that say not to lift more than 5 pounds and activity as tolerated. Should I bring these with me? Also, does anyone have any experience with liquid stitches? If I would go in a pool, won't they dissolve? I plan to take the parks very slowly, maybe 3 hours a day max. I hope all goes well.

As most of us here tend to suggest, you would probably be more comfortable and able to tolerate more activity if you are willing to rent a wheelchair or ecv. A GAC is not given for "endurance" issues but rather to indicate special needs such as waiting in a shaded area, etc. I'm glad you're able to take a short trip- it's probably "just what the Dr. ordered" to help you feel better after surgery! Kathy

What accommodations do you think you would need? If you can't stand for a long periods then it would be suggested that you get a wheelchair or ECV. A GAC would not be needed. If you can't wait in the sun due to medications etc then you would request a GAC that would allow you to wait in an alternate area out of the sun. A doctor's note is not required and not generally helpful in obtaining a GAC. You tell the CM what your needs are that can't be met by using an ECV/WC or fastpass.
Glad to hear you are recovering. I recently went to WDW 3 weeks after a ruptured stomach ulcer surgery with g-tube in place and had a very relaxing time. WDW is a great place to recuperate!

Like the other said, a wheelchair or ecv would help you a lot more than a GAC (Guest Assistance Card). The GAC would only be for when you are in lines, which is actually a very small part of your park time. A wheelchair or eccv would allow you to cover ground without using up your enerrgy to do it (when you are recuperating from surgery, you want to spend as much time as possible doing fun things rather than just getting from place to place).
About the liquid stitches, I would suggest asking your doctor if you still have questions, but since he said you can go in the pool as long as you just wade, I would do that. Regarding the liquid stitches in water; (and don't be shocked at this) liquid stitches are basically a compound similar to Krazy Glue. if you have ever glued your fingers together, you probably found out by experience that water doesn't dissolve it. After seeing a lot of people come to the Emergency room because they had glued fingers to various other body parts, doctors started to think that stuff might have some actual medical uses, and the rest is medical history!
So, hope you have a good time

Hello, thanks for the suggestions and clarifications. We just got back from the weekend. I think it was too soon after surgery to visit WDW. I went in the pool twice and only lasted a few minutes each time. (Liquid stitches were unaffected.)Ended up on a lounge chair just taking it easy while dh played with the kids in the pool. Spent most of the time at the resort resting. However, we went to Epcot yesterday because I was feeling better. We parked in Create 47 way down at the end of the row. Between the walk to the tram and the hot sun, I was dragging. Then the tram ride was painful with the bumps and turns. I decided to not to rent a wheelchair because I was ready to forget about going to Epcot as soon as I got there. I made it to innoventions where I sat on a bench while ds enjoyed playing the games for an hour. Then we headed back to the car, and headed home. Our next weekend trip is the weekend of June 11. I'm sure I'll be more healed by then and have an awesome time and not be a drag for family.

Sorry to hear your trip was not so successful, but by June 11 you should be in much better shape.
Here's some pixie dust for a great trip.

lovethattink said:
However, we went to Epcot yesterday because I was feeling better. We parked in Create 47 way down at the end of the row. Between the walk to the tram and the hot sun, I was dragging.

For anyone with mobility issues & no handicap parking permit, you can ask the CM, who is directing cars, to park on the end of the rows closest to the tram.

Sorry your trip did not go as well as you hoped.

JudithM said:
For anyone with mobility issues & no handicap parking permit, you can ask the CM, who is directing cars, to park on the end of the rows closest to the tram.

Sorry your trip did not go as well as you hoped.

Didn't realize that. Thanks, that's good to know!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter