Any tips for keeping sneakers dry on water rides, etc?

2Pirates2Princesses

DIS Veteran
Anyone have any tips for keeping sneakers dry on water rides and during rainstorms, etc. while in the parks? During our last trip we all (except DH) pretty much wore Crocs and athletic type sandals/flip flops so we didn't have that issue, but this didn't agree with my feet after a couple days and I got blisters so for our next trip I vowed to pack good, walking sneakers for the parks and save the Crocs and flip flops for the pool :). One pair of DH's sneakers got soaked when we got caught in an afternoon downpour at Epcot (fortunately he packed more than one pair :)) and the heavy moisture and resulting odor pretty much ruined them. Any tips? Thank you.

Take a pair of flip flops with you to change into before the ride or if it starts raining. Put sneakers in your backpack.

That's what we do as well. Frankly, Kali is the only ride at WDW where I see this being an issue. In 15 years on Splash Mountain, my sneakers have never really gotten wet enough to bother me. At Universal Orlando, where there are a few more really wet ones, we put the sneakers in the locker and put on the flip flops, do all the water rides at once, and then change into a complete new set of clothes since we're usually dripping by then.

Put large plastic baggies over socks then put shoe on. Shoes will get wet but socks and feet stay dry. When rain/ride is over and shoes dry then remove baggie.

as far as rainstorm, I do not have any good info.

But for water ride we always bring flip flops for everyone. We have really cheap ones from Old Navy. We keep them each in a plastic bag and switch them out when we go on a water ride.

If it is going to be a long rainstorm, you can always switch into the flip flops.

It helps that we have a stroller, but this should all fit in a back pack.

Hope this helps.

Can't tell you how to keep sneakers from getting wet other than to take them off; however, in the event that they do get soaked go buy yourself a couple newspapers and stuff them into the shoes. Change them out after a couple hours if the shoes are really soaked.

It is amazing how much water the newspaper soaks up and if you do it right the shoes will be almost completely dry by morning. We have had to do this several times and it works every time.

Can't tell you how to keep sneakers from getting wet other than to take them off; however, in the event that they do get soaked go buy yourself a couple newspapers and stuff them into the shoes. Change them out after a couple hours if the shoes are really soaked.

It is amazing how much water the newspaper soaks up and if you do it right the shoes will be almost completely dry by morning. We have had to do this several times and it works every time.

We do this too! Learned during the years of soggy, wet soccer shoes every spring. Newspaper works wonders!

In addition to packing flip flops to change into, we also pack a Ziploc big bag in our backpack, so before we go on Kali, we change into the flip flops then put our sneakers, backpack, camera and cell phones into the plastic bag.

There really isn't anything that is going to keep them dry on things like Kali or during a rainstorm. The only real advice I can give you is to go out and buy some TEVA or Columbia sandals which are made for long walking expeditions and break them in. I broke the strap on one of mine on the second to last day of our trip back in August and had to buy a pair. They are nice now, but boy did they bring up a blister before I got them worn in.

Why is everyone so afraid to get wet?

Splash Mountain won't soak your shoes. I was sitting up front last week and got soaked in the face, but my shirt wasn't that bad and it dried off shortly after I walked off the ride. It's nothing.

Rainstorms happen frequently during the year. Tomorrow's forecast is 70% rain. Even so, I've never had a problem walking around in the rain to the point where my shoes were allowing water to soak inside - unless I just stepped in a big puddle.

It's water. It'll dry off. Don't worry about it.

Ziploc baggies and wear a rain poncho will keep you mostly dry. I have canon water proof camera that I love and don't have to about it getting wet.

Why is everyone so afraid to get wet?

Splash Mountain won't soak your shoes. I was sitting up front last week and got soaked in the face, but my shirt wasn't that bad and it dried off shortly after I walked off the ride. It's nothing.

Rainstorms happen frequently during the year. Tomorrow's forecast is 70% rain. Even so, I've never had a problem walking around in the rain to the point where my shoes were allowing water to soak inside - unless I just stepped in a big puddle.

It's water. It'll dry off. Don't worry about it.

It's not so much about being afraid of getting wet, but not having soaked, smelly sneakers :). We went to WDW in August knowing it was going to pretty much rain briefly almost every afternoon so we were prepared with ponchos and me and the kids mostly wore Crocs and sandles for that reason as well, but we all plan on mostly wearing good walking sneakers for our next trip and are looking for ways to avoid them ending up like DH's sneakers after that heavy downpour at Epcot one afternoon.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I am taking note of these, especially packing flip flops to change into if needed and the newspaper tip as well. :thumbsup2

If your shoes are really wet when you get back to the room just use the hair dryer to dry them out. We got caught in a bad rainstorm las January and that's how we dried out our strollers.

It's not so much about being afraid of getting wet, but not having soaked, smelly sneakers :). We went to WDW in August knowing it was going to pretty much rain briefly almost every afternoon so we were prepared with ponchos and me and the kids mostly wore Crocs and sandles for that reason as well, but we all plan on mostly wearing good walking sneakers for our next trip and are looking for ways to avoid them ending up like DH's sneakers after that heavy downpour at Epcot one afternoon.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I am taking note of these, especially packing flip flops to change into if needed and the newspaper tip as well. :thumbsup2

I think I understand your concerns, but it's not quite so bad as you make it out. I've lived here 48 years and never had the need to put plastic bags on my feet or wear a plastic poncho. My clothes and shoes are fine.

As you say, most rain showers pass rather quickly here. It's actually pretty rare to get an all-day soaker. Even then, it's usually not a hard downfall all day.

This is a big thing for us as well, since my son has sensory processing disorder and cannot stand wet anything.

I actually have him put on board shorts, a swim shirt, and crocs for the wet rides. We do them first thing or last thing so he doesn't have to worry about it.

I also keep a poncho (adult sized, even though he is 9) in the bag so if it rains he can put on the crocs and the poncho.

I don't mind being wet so much, but for him, it is misery. Hope these ideas help. As for storage in the backpack, I find the poncho will fit inside one croc, and the swim shirt and board shorts in the other.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter