Any tips for land and sea?!?!

nutshell

Oh, Disney!
I'd like to do a land and sea vacation. I'm thinking three days at Disney World and a four night cruise. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the options. Went to Disney World 20 years ago. Never been on a cruise. All tips and suggestions appreciated!

Me
DW
DD 18
DS 14

We're long time Disneyland vets.

We've only done one Disney cruise, but we did 2 park days and a 5- night Castaway Cay double dip cruise. Four park days sounds better to me since you've essentially never done WDW. It's worth at least trying every park. And the per-day ticket cost goes way down after 4 days, so if you have plenty of time, I'd stretch to maybe five days for parks, then the cruise.

We did this back in 2012 and it was amazing! We did 4 park days (no AK but did MK twice due to the ages of our kids) and then went on a 4 night cruise. We had friends who did the 3 night and said it wasn't enough. We loved it. My parents cruise a lot and said how wonderful the Disney cruise was.

I will say that as sad as it was to be leaving WDW, it was nice to have something else to look forward to and the vacation not being over. The cruise was very relaxing after the hustle of pop drop mornings.

We've done land, sea and land & sea and we don't be doing a land & sea again (at least not with DCL). First off, the shorter DCL cruises are probably some of the worst values so it makes it really expensive. There are positive to doing land before and after your cruise but pick whatever suits your schedule better. Some people want to relax on board after a few hard days in the parks but on shorter sailings some people end up waking up earlier on the shorter sailings because they don't want to miss anything on the ship and with fewer days you've got less time. Some peple will use their FP to rest a little on park days but be up at 7 am every day on the boat and some people will do the opposite....there is not one portion more relaxing than the other. It's all in how you approach them.

My suggestion would be to first chose the amount of time that you have and find the best itinerary/cruise that fits that schedule. If DCL is not 100% a must do consider other lines sailing out of Port Canaveral or Tampa. Once you've identified your itinerary then plug in the days at parks that are going to offer the most opportunities to experience the lowest crowds.

Do not do DCL transfers...rent a car to drop off at the port then rent one to pick up at the port after the cruise. Its going to give you flexibility and for a family of 4 you can find a small SUV for around $125 for each one way trip. You can pick it up and drop it off either at the car care center near magic kingdom or at the Swan and Dolphin.

Be prepared for an expensive trip. The cost of a DCL 4/5 night cruise is as much or more than what a week cruise would end up costing you on other lines, then by adding in park tickets, resort stays, food, etc the costs start to add up. Disney becomes a better value when you go for a longer time because the ticket prices drop so if you have another trip within the next year in mind you might want to consider APs to drop the cost down over the long term.

We are experienced Disney land and sea travelers! It's our favorite vacation. I agree that 3 nights is too short. A 4 night Dream cruise is a perfect first cruise length and it gives you a full day at sea to enjoy the ship. We always fly in at least one day early and have always spent the first night on Disney property. Our preferred vacation is one night before at Disney, head out on the cruise, then a few days back at the World to end the trip. (We did one cruise where we flew back on debarkation day and we were all SO sad to have to go to the airport instead of back to Disney!)

We always hire car transportation to go from Disney to the port, since we like to get there early. When heading back to Disney, we have found that the Disney bus is the most efficient and easy way to go.

Since it sounds like you have not been to Disney in 20 years, you will likely want to spend a lot of time in the parks! If it were me, I would allow for an 8 night vacation: the first 3 nights at Disney, 4 nights on the cruise, then one more night at Disney. You could get a 5 day ticket for slightly more than a 4 day ticket and spend the day after the cruise catching anything you missed, or want to do again. We have always been off the ship early and back at Disney by 10 or 11 AM, leaving lots of time to hit the parks. Just a thought. ;)

We've done DCL/WDW land and sea vacations three times and they are a lot of fun. I will say, though, we enjoy 7+ night cruises over 4 day ones. They are far more relaxing and you don't feel like you are just driving all over central FL to get to your vacation destinations. Our last land/sea was a 7 night cruise followed by 2 nights in WDW and that was perfect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter