Any tips for me? I was just diagnosed with T2 Covid induced diabetes!

billwendy

DIS Veteran
Hi fellow Disney loving diabetics!

I was diagnosed about 2 months ago with diabetes. I currently take short acting insulin(6 units on a sliding scale depending on what my Libre3 is telling me) before each meal and then long acting insulin before bed (20units). I’m still not good at predicting what food, sweating a lot in the hot humid weather, walking miles several days in a row etc. Will do to my blood sugar.

Please help me learn quick! We will be there 4/22/2024 and staying at the Pop. What should I be sure to buy or bring or do each day when heading out to the park? Any especially yummy low carb/surgar foods/snacks I should look for? I cannot have artificial sweeteners. I want to feel good the whole trip. We will be there 6 days but only getting a 3 day park ticket so we can have some down days to enjoy the pool, Disney springs etc. We are traveling by car so can go to a market on the way to the Pop.

Does anyone out there love Disney popcorn? How did it affect your blood sugar?

Thanks friends! I’m just so nervous!

Nuts are your friend for snacks. With no artificial sweeteners, you're severely limited. I'm T2, non-insulin user, and as your Libre tells you more information it can be surprising - a basic fried cake donut from Dunkin is better than a baconator for your blood sugar, for instance.

And stay hydrated. Bring a refillable bottle and drink at least 50% more than you feel you should. I can't stress this enough.

Popcorn generally is pretty bad, and I can't imagine that Disney popcorn is any better.

As long as I’m active, popcorn in careful amounts works out ok for me, weird! Does anyone know the info on a dole whip?

Nuts are your friend for snacks. With no artificial sweeteners, you're severely limited. I'm T2, non-insulin user, and as your Libre tells you more information it can be surprising - a basic fried cake donut from Dunkin is better than a baconator for your blood sugar, for instance.

And stay hydrated. Bring a refillable bottle and drink at least 50% more than you feel you should. I can't stress this enough.

Popcorn generally is pretty bad, and I can't imagine that Disney popcorn is any better.
What are your favorite nuts? I was thinking of making a trail mix of nuts and seeds.

What are your favorite nuts? I was thinking of making a trail mix of nuts and seeds.
Peanuts still in the shell, but I only eat those where nobody's going to have to clean up after me.🤣

I go with the individually packaged single serving ones from the grocery store that are on sale every few weeks, without any odd flavors that end up all over my hands. The "Mixed nuts" usually because I find them less monotonous, and the packaging is easy. Also, they don't go stale for a very long time.

And yeah, being active can help your blood sugar a lot, and that does indeed allow you to put some not so good foods into your body (in moderation). As for Dole Whip: https://www.appslibrary.com/assets/MFR457/DOC/Dole-Pineapple54883873.pdf

Be much more afraid of going low than of going high. If you aren't generally a very active person, all of the walking will spike your blood sugar then crash it. I always carry with me a roll of glucose tabs from Wal-Mart, https://www.walmart.com/ip/ReliOn-Orange-Glucose-Tablets-10-Count/287554954?from=/search
I found that my sugar levels were fairly stable during the day due to all of the exercise. Make sure you bring at least one extra sensor pack, I've had them come off at the strangest times. Are you on any oral meds? Pay close attention to what your sensor is telling you, if you're going to eat solid food, don't wait until the sensor alarms. Once the sensor alarms you need either a glucose tab or something liquid. Staying at POP, I always made sure I had some good for me snacks and some really sugary snacks just in case. If you have a mug, know how far it is to the 24 hour dispenser, a half mug of real coke will bring your sugar up in a hurry, but if you have to walk halfway across the resort to get there it might not be worth the trip.

I’d get some box juices to keep in your room in case you have a low during the night. String cheese is a great snack we take since there’s minimal carbs.

Kool aid jammers is the perfect thing for low BS. Just about 15 carbs and try to eat a bit of protein with it. I agree, the added exercise usually will help keep your numbers lower. My T1D son used to cut his insulin in 1/2 going to WDW. Now with CGM he is able to fine tune things more. Just be prepared for everything. It’s a learning experience and there is no perfect. Pick your favorite guilty pleasure to enjoy and just enjoy everything else in moderation making mostly healthy choices when possible.

Be much more afraid of going low than of going high. If you aren't generally a very active person, all of the walking will spike your blood sugar then crash it. I always carry with me a roll of glucose tabs from Wal-Mart, https://www.walmart.com/ip/ReliOn-Orange-Glucose-Tablets-10-Count/287554954?from=/search
I found that my sugar levels were fairly stable during the day due to all of the exercise. Make sure you bring at least one extra sensor pack, I've had them come off at the strangest times. Are you on any oral meds? Pay close attention to what your sensor is telling you, if you're going to eat solid food, don't wait until the sensor alarms. Once the sensor alarms you need either a glucose tab or something liquid. Staying at POP, I always made sure I had some good for me snacks and some really sugary snacks just in case. If you have a mug, know how far it is to the 24 hour dispenser, a half mug of real coke will bring your sugar up in a hurry, but if you have to walk halfway across the resort to get there it might not be worth the trip.
I second this, especially bringing an extra sensor. My first trip after being diagnosed as T2, my Libre fell off on my second day there (the adhesive they use is NOT made to hold up to sweat in 95-degree weather). If you have a finger-stick meter, bring that as a backup too, in case your CGM fails.

My doctor said popcorn is a great alternative snack, but your doctor might have different advice, so check with them.

And yes, keep something on you (glucose tab, juice, etc.) in the event of lows. All that walking in the heat can send your numbers down really quick. Even with snacking, my average blood sugar is lower during a week at Disney than a week at home.

They also make an over patch for the libre available on Amazon pretty cheap. (If I remember right about $10 for 60 unless you want fancy ones) It’s like a big bandaid with a cut out that fits over the sensor. This will help them stick. If you have a Dexcom you can get free one through the company by requesting them (or purchase them on Amazon) I have heard more complaints about the Libre though and would recommend them with everyone that wears them, especially if you sweat a lot or have oily skin.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter