any tips on traveling with friends?

Sandra

Earning My Ears
My family consists of my husband, me and 2 little girls (just turned 4 & 7). This year we have decided to take along my best friend and her daughter (age 6). We are great friends and have made weekend trips together several times, and she visits several times a year and is like my sister she's such a part of the family. But we have never made a 10 day trip together with my husband and all 3 girls. Any suggestions from those of you who have travelled with friends/relatives on how you keep things good with that much together time???

Walt Disney World was what brought my friend and I together, and now 9 years later, we are finally able to go there together. I want to make sure it is a magical trip - not one where we are getting on each others nerves.

Communication is key!
Discuss what you both expect from the trip before hand. Talk about what you want to do and on what schedule. Let it be known that its ok to go seperate ways for a little while. If you want to tour commando style and she is laid back it could be a headache.

I'm guessing it will work out fine as you say you've done weekend trips together. Think of those as a practice run.

My family has been to WDW 6x with friends...this year will mark the very first time we've ever visited with just us 4! When we've traveled with friends in the past, we've done it all different kinds of ways, and these are my recommendations:

1. Get separate rooms in the same resort, preferably not attached rooms, but if in the same building or vicinity...great! Staying in different resorts causes time problems, staying in the same room can be too much of a good thing. A little distance also allows a little freedom & independence.

2. Communicate! As the earlier poster mentioned. If you don't want to do something that your friend does, just say so! and encourage her to go on ahead. When we went with my mom, she was too polite to say she didn't want to do some things so she ended up not enjoying some of her time...also, we didn't want to tire her out, so we skipped some things we really did want to do.

3. Two way radios! If you get separated in the park, connecting up again can take a long time, and become frustrating. Two ways make it easy to stay in touch.

4. Girls night out! When we went down with friends, one of my fondest memory is our ladies only dinner at Fulton's Crab House...dh spent the evening with the kids, and we gals created a lasting special memory!

5. Do the trip planning together...share web sites, message boards...if you plan it together, you'll have a good idea of what she wants to do, and what you do...then you can maybe work some things out ahead of time.

6. Plan alone time... no matter how close you are (I've been there with some of my very best friends!) some time alone can be a great thing. It can keep you rejuvenated.

Sorry to go on so long, (I could go on longer, too :))

have a wonderful trip, and make wonderful memories,
Beth

dznyfan40 had some great tips especially the girls night out one. I think maybe a night for you and hubby would be a good one too!

I've made trips with friends and family and I think ALONE time is a must! One trip when we were staying at the Swan we were on our way back from EPCOT. Joe and the boys were,um... well...getting on my nerves!! :rolleyes: I let them take the boat back and I walked back alone.I stopped in the Beach club had a drink,chatted with a couple people and then strolled back to the Swan.Joe and the boys had grabbed sodas and beer and were chatting with the bartender in the little bar there.We all felt better! :D

Sandra if you'd like to share I'd like to know how WDW brought you and your friend together 9 years ago? :D

Another friend, my now best friend's sister in-law, was coming over to visit me and brought her sister-in-law because she had just moved in to town and was staying with them. They came in, we were introduced and we sat down to visit. She immediately saw my WDW planning guide on the end table and asked if I was planning a trip to WDW. I told her I was, and she said she was too! We then talked WDW for hours and discovered that we were both Disney freaks! We got together again later that week and found out that we had even more in common and the friendship quickly grew from there! We've been best friends ever since!!! She has lived in another state for years now, but we continue to talk weekly and see each other about 4 times/year. We were able to take a short 3-day trip to WDW alone together about 5 years ago. But this will be the first time we've been able to take our families together. I'm really looking forward to it! Thanks for asking me to share my story! And thanks for the advice!

Thanks for sharing Sandra! :D I bet y'all are REALLY excited about this trip! Have a wonderful time!

The only caveat that I can think of is to know your spending habits and those of your friend. I would love to share WDW with my parents, but I know that as an adult I'd be miserable because my father is the cheapest man on the planet.

He stayed on property last time he went and is still complaining that he gave all of his money to Disney. He would prefer to stay offsite, go to Ponderosa for breakfast and maybe some late dinners. He is a park commando and wants to get the most for the money he spent to be there. He would prefer to go in season because all of the counter service restaurants are open then. We'd prefer to stay moderate to deluxe onsite, off season, eat sit-down meals, take a midday break, and we don't care if one counter service is closed/open... another one down the path will be open.

I'm not suggesting that my parents' way is wrong. If that's what they like, that's fine... we don't have to do the same things. I know we'd be miserable though because my Dad would keep reminding us about how much we spent and how much he saved. He also would complain the entire time about the transportation and the price of everything. It just wouldn't work for us to go with them. We have a great time when we go our way, they have a great time when they go their way. Everyone's happy that way.

It sounds like you know each other and your ways pretty well since you've done weekends together, so you should have no problem. I know a few of my friends and a couple of my DH's that we could go with and have nothing but a great time.

I hope your trip is everything that you wish and more!

Thank you all so muck for sharing your experiences and advice. I appreciate your suggestions! I've already started communicating to my friend how we "do disney" and she seems to be in complete agreement. I think it will be a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter