Any US Open Fans

Cogswel_Cogs

DIS Veteran
Sad that Phil can't make it. You would have thought the school would have said Oh we have Phil's kid maybe we should not do graduation on the 1st day of the US Open. The probably get a lot less in extra donations from him. You know when they have those alumni drives.

I would go with Jordan Spieth at 9/1 or Ricki Fowler at Rickie Fowler at 18/1 and and you got think Charl Schwartzel at 62/1 and Bubba Watson at 65/1 are good deals.

I hate links courses especially since British Open is next month.

Last edited:
I thought I would respond, since Erin Hills is in my back yard.
Just some observations.
Wisconsin turned into a Monsoon Season. We went from temps into the70's during the day and 50's at night to the lower 90's during the day with torrential rain and thunderstorms in the afternoon/evening. This type of weather rarely happens-just weird.
Tickets have not gone over real well, and my nephews picked up tickets and went for $14 and watched practice every day.
Shuttle busses are running and picking up people in a 40 mile radius, but when you get dropped off, you still have to walk another mile to the course.
Great golf course, but no tree's. No shade tree's.
N0 carry-in's at all. You can bring in an empty container to hold water, but you have to fill it up at the event.

My pick Jordan Spieth.

DH and DS are there today. They got there after the blimp went down, though. It is going to be HOT and steamy today, so that will be a factor. I am glad Phil withdrew. Family is more important.

They also mowed some of the fescue after some of the golfers complained about it. If you can't hit a 60 yard wide fairway, maybe you shouldn't be playing pro golf. :rolleyes:

I'm going with Rory. :)

Being that I live in Pinehurst, you can be sure I've heard all about it. Lots of folks from here are there. :)

Sad that Phil can't make it. You would have thought the school would have said Oh we have Phil's kid maybe we should not do graduation on the 1st day of the US Open. The probably get a lot less in extra donations from him. You know when they have those alumni drives.

I would go with Jordan Spieth at 9/1 or Ricki Fowler at Rickie Fowler at 18/1 and and you got think Charl Schwartzel at 62/1 and Bubba Watson at 65/1 are good deals.

I hate links courses especially since British Open is next month.

I'm sorry, but that school has no obligation to make sure that he can be at the graduation. Phil himself didn't fault the school. I doubt that would make him change any future donations. It was his choice to make, and he made the right choice.

I agre the shool had no obligation. Just think on their part would have been smarter to have it on wednesday

Last edited:
I only went to one US Open when it was at Pebble Beach. They ran a pretty tight ship, but they're used to important tournaments. Their parking was free at Fort Ort north of Monterey, and school buses shuttled spectators about 10 miles to the front entrance that was quite close to the holes. I guess parking at many of these tournaments can be limited. The last time the US Open was at the Olympic Club in San Francisco, the designated spectator parking was at the Candlestick Park parking lot on the other side of the city.

My US Open at Pebble was back well before smart phones. I'm not sure what they do now, but then supposedly talking on a phone could get someone ejected. I also remember paying exorbitant prices for beer. And on the last day I was there I found out that the Pebble Beach grocery store sold sandwiches and beer (in bottles) that were much cheaper and could be taken on the course. They were basically the same price as they had any time.

The other thing was the condition of the course, with narrow fairways and rough allowed to grow about a foot deep. I went there a few weeks later with a visiting guest, and the fairways were twice as wide with the rough was only a couple of inches deep.

I heard that the original owner of Erin Hills basically lost it after spending more than he could afford in modifications to present it for the USGA as a US Open site.

Went to the open when it was at Bethpage Black in NY. We got bussed in from pretty far away.
The course closed for about a year before the open and I also got to play right before it closed. Shot the best round I ever shot there 91. They had just cutdown everything, I guess to start growing back the way they wanted for tournament. I think hey were tighting fairways and stuff. Though having played it few times before that fairways were tight already.
On that day the roughs were more like fairways than rough. It's amazing how much easier it is when there is no rough. The greens were still really hard and I three putted every other hole.
This year there are lot of low scores already. Wonder if they will be able to toughen the course next couple of days.

Joe Buck was the tv announcer, shockingly he did a pretty good job. People in Wisconsin can not stand him when he and Troy Aikmen do announcing for the Green Bay Packers. there is a petition to get rid of them. Most people I know, turn off the volume while they watch the game and turn on the radio announcers.

I only heard Buck say something stupid once.

Joe Buck was the tv announcer, shockingly he did a pretty good job. People in Wisconsin can not stand him when he and Troy Aikmen do announcing for the Green Bay Packers. there is a petition to get rid of them. Most people I know, turn off the volume while they watch the game and turn on the radio announcers.

I only heard Buck say something stupid once.

Do you mean when he referred to Koepka's girlfriend by his previous girlfriend's name during the post-tournament kiss?

Do you mean when he referred to Koepka's girlfriend by his previous girlfriend's name during the post-tournament kiss?
:rotfl2:Yeah, that made me laugh. The consensus overall on social media is Joe Buck sucked, which isn't surprising to anyone.

Yes, plus he also said something about Erin Hills and the weather- like Wisconsin was such a back yard hick place for this golf course and the weather was typical for Erin Hills- like he lives here. Believe me, that weather they had last week/ end was not typical Wisconsin weather.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter