Any word on 2016 Marathon Course

I would love to run through WS with it still dark.I don't think I'm going to miss the racetrack much and I think I'm in the minority as far as WWoS,I like going in there,maybe they could shorten the amount of time we're running in there so instead of running almost 3 miles they could shorten it to 2 and just have us go through the stadium and not through every square inch of the complex,but overall I would miss it if they removed the WWoS section.Is it logistically possible to go into WS at the start and still get a smaller section inside WWoS with the racetrack section removed,I doubt it but I would love that scenario.

I guess I'm in the minority with FFigawi and DOOM1001, too! I liked the racetrack (I also ran on the Indy track this year - THAT was a blast!) even though the ramp/tunnel was a killer...It's too bad the racetrack exit couldn't also be the entrance. But that's moot now since the track (I'm guessing) is no longer there. The classic cars were a nice attention diversion.

I love the WWoS area - especially in contrast to the rather mundane section it takes to get there. I like the winding course through the various fields - especially if they're in use. That's always fun to see kids playing soccer or baseball. And I love the cushioned 400m track and the baseball stadium with the spectators (especially since I always meet my wife there for some encouragement and a smooch by the 3rd base dugout!).

As for Epcot in the morning, when running the 5K does anybody else find the area between China and Germany a little too dark and slippery? That's the one area that concerns me if they route the marathon through there....or did the previous marathon route not go that deep into Epcot?

As for Epcot in the morning, when running the 5K does anybody else find the area between China and Germany a little too dark and slippery? That's the one area that concerns me if they route the marathon through there....or did the previous marathon route not go that deep into Epcot?

The 2010 course came into Epcot near England and left after Germany during the morning loop, but only for one of the starts. The other start came in the front of Epcot and exited near Norway. It really was spectacular to run around World Showcase. Here's a link to my GPS track. https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/22300048

The 2010 course came into Epcot near England and left after Germany during the morning loop, but only for one of the starts. The other start came in the front of Epcot and exited near Norway. It really was spectacular to run around World Showcase. Here's a link to my GPS track. https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/22300048

Did the course stay the same through 2012? I seem to remember my first marathon running this course. Wasn't 2013 the 20th anniversary? I thought that was the first year that added ESPN and the Speedway and removed Epcot.

Did the course stay the same through 2012? I seem to remember my first marathon running this course. Wasn't 2013 the 20th anniversary? I thought that was the first year that added ESPN and the Speedway and removed Epcot.
In 2012 everyone ran in through the Epcot entrance and out through Norway as @FFigawi is describing above. Then it changed in 2013 to the current course with no AM Epcot portion, the speedway and WWoS.

With the old route, were you still able to get to MK in time to run through the castle while it was dark/lit up? I love that, and my picture in front of the castle while lit up is one of my favorites.

What am I missing with the Osceola Pkwy portion? The biggest complaint I hear is that no one liked the long out and back portion and prefer going through WWoS. According to this map, isn't the parkway portion the same length, just without the added jaunt through WWoS?

With the old route, were you still able to get to MK in time to run through the castle while it was dark/lit up? I love that, and my picture in front of the castle while lit up is one of my favorites.
For you, maybe. For me, at my pace...nope. ;)
What am I missing with the Osceola Pkwy portion? The biggest complaint I hear is that no one liked the long out and back portion and prefer going through WWoS. According to this map, isn't the parkway portion the same length, just without the added jaunt through WWoS?
Yes...2012 from @FFigawi is on top and 2013 is on the bottom (from my Garmin...my online account doesn't seem to go back to the 2012 marathon):
21801013512_b2d9bd66d9_z.jpg

For you, maybe. For me, at my pace...nope. ;)

Yes...2012 from @FFigawi is on top and 2013 is on the bottom (from my Garmin...my online account doesn't seem to go back to the 2012 marathon):
21801013512_b2d9bd66d9_z.jpg

So what are those people complaining about?? I'd much rather reach that corner and know I can turn around and head to DHS, rather than weave through WWoS only to get to the same point 3 (4? I forget) miles later. It is so discouraging to see people coming out of WWoS when you're just going in :faint:

I made it while it was still dark. In my castle picture you can just barely see the first tiny bit of light starting to come up but it was still dark. It really depends on your pace but it is possible.

I would love to run through WS with it still dark.I don't think I'm going to miss the racetrack much and I think I'm in the minority as far as WWoS,I like going in there,maybe they could shorten the amount of time we're running in there so instead of running almost 3 miles they could shorten it to 2 and just have us go through the stadium and not through every square inch of the complex,but overall I would miss it if they removed the WWoS section.Is it logistically possible to go into WS at the start and still get a smaller section inside WWoS with the racetrack section removed,I doubt it but I would love that scenario.

I don't have the maps in front of me so bear with me. With the speedway gone, if the course did a straight shot through that area (I assume parking spots) that would free up ~1 mile. If they also tweaked WWoS, I bet the course could start like usual at EPCOT and weave through WS before making the way over to MK.

Again I don't have maps in front of me but going by memory I think its possible.

So what are those people complaining about?? I'd much rather reach that corner and know I can turn around and head to DHS, rather than weave through WWoS only to get to the same point 3 (4? I forget) miles later. It is so discouraging to see people coming out of WWoS when you're just going in :faint:
Search me. :confused3 There are many reasons why I prefer the old course over the new one. I really feel like a lot of runDisney's motivation for the switch is to get us through and out of the Magic Kingdom faster (mile 5-6 now vs. mile 10-11 on the old course).

Depends on your pace. It was much easier to ride the coaster, though. We hit that spot in AK at mile 17, not mile 13 as it is now.

Depends on your pace. It was much easier to ride the coaster, though. We hit that spot in AK at mile 17, not mile 13 as it is now.
I honestly think this is my least favorite thing about the new course (tied with losing the early Epcot portion). Leaving AK just before the halfway point and knowing I wouldn't be in the next park (DHS) until mile 22/23 was tough!

I honestly think this is my least favorite thing about the new course (tied with losing the early Epcot portion). Leaving AK just before the halfway point and knowing I wouldn't be in the next park (DHS) until mile 22/23 was tough!
Yeah, that is a tough stretch with almost nothing to distract you. Need more character spots along that stretch.

I didn't even think about that but you are right. I remember half way being just after exiting MK and I imagine it is mentally easier to hit half way right there as opposed to at a point where you aren't at an exciting area of property. I remember really liking the route between MK and AK on the old course because it was in an area you didn't see and you went into AK at a part you never see otherwise.

I don't have the maps in front of me so bear with me. With the speedway gone, if the course did a straight shot through that area (I assume parking spots) that would free up ~1 mile. If they also tweaked WWoS, I bet the course could start like usual at EPCOT and weave through WS before making the way over to MK.

Again I don't have maps in front of me but going by memory I think its possible.
So I played around with the maps on Gmap Pedometer. Based on what I saw removing the speedway removes. .94 miles. So you have a pretty spot on. I think trying to add world showcase the way it was done before would add a lot more milage than that. They would need to drastically change the start to make that work.
I support whichever course has fewer overpasses to go over.
I keep hoping they'll add a bouncy goodyear conveyor belt like the exit from space mountain

I played around to see if you could fit the entire marathon in the TTC parking lot. It's close. Going down every row in the parking lot I was able to stretch the race to 19 miles. You could just do that then loop through the magic kingdom once.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter