Anybody else dreading the start of school?

I only read the OP's post. ME ME ME!! I am anxious about their school starting and it starts tomorrow!! I have butterflies in my stomach! I am so nervous. And I am going to miss my children! :sad:

JenJen (or anyone else): I know that this is way off topic, but would you mind sharing a bit about vitamin supplements / diet. DD8 was diagnosed with severe/profound ADHD at 3 and has never been medicated. NOT that it wasn't suggested to us time and time again, we just prefer not to medicate her. She was reassessed last month and the ADHD has gone done to mild. Each year seems easier and easier for her (and for us).

Right now, we don't give her preservatives, dyes, sugar (except natural type found in fruit etc). and thats about it. We also do yoga a lot. Her daily kids vitamin is made by Quest and has extra calcium/magnisium in it (it is supposed to calm her). We also have a HUGE veggie garden and she eats a ton of fresh veggies. But other then that thats about it. I can't imagine not giving her bread (always whoe grains) or milk but I have read that this is something we should consider.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I hope I am not offending anyone by stating DD8 is not medicated. I think it is a very personal decision and I respect those that medicate or don't medicate their children.

riu girl said:
JenJen (or anyone else): I know that this is way off topic, but would you mind sharing a bit about vitamin supplements / diet. DD8 was diagnosed with severe/profound ADHD at 3 and has never been medicated. NOT that it wasn't suggested to us time and time again, we just prefer not to medicate her. She was reassessed last month and the ADHD has gone done to mild. Each year seems easier and easier for her (and for us).

Right now, we don't give her preservatives, dyes, sugar (except natural type found in fruit etc). and thats about it. We also do yoga a lot. Her daily kids vitamin is made by Quest and has extra calcium/magnisium in it (it is supposed to calm her). We also have a HUGE veggie garden and she eats a ton of fresh veggies. But other then that thats about it. I can't imagine not giving her bread (always whoe grains) or milk but I have read that this is something we should consider.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I hope I am not offending anyone by stating DD8 is not medicated. I think it is a very personal decision and I respect those that medicate or don't medicate their children.

Right now they are at there dads and the supliments are with him. I know one of the things he take is flax seed oil oh and Iron because he was anemic. I know he takes two of something in the morning and two at night. I will get you the information soon.

Diet- Stay away from all sugar and increase the amount of meat or protien in there diet Fish is great if you can get them to eat it. The call it the brain food! I will talk to you soon! and WATER WATER WATER!!!!! I can't say it enough!!!

School year after school year and things don't change. DS is just SO ADD!!!! Last night it took him 5 hours to do about 1 hour of homework. It would go quicker if I could stand over him, but there was a choir parents' meeting to attend, another daughter to pick up from gymnastics, the two girls to feed after gymnastics and dance, their homework and forms to sign, etc., etc. Once the drugs wear off, DS's homework takes so long! Today I had him take his pills 45 minutes later.

WOW.I clicked on this thread on accident.It is opening my eyes a little.My DS9 was tested for ADHD when he was 5 yrs old.I was told he was slightly hyper but just immature.He no longer shows signs of being hyper but every school year gets harder and harder.It takes him 3-4 hours to complete his hw this year.IF he remembers to bring home what he needs to do it.he also would get done faster if I could stay right beside him but I have three other children.He is in the gifted program and I am dreading when he gets his extra work for that class.I don't see how he can keep doing his sports if this continues but I hate to punish him when I don't know if this is his fault.He does seem to be trying.
PS-they keep telling me he is immature but he is one of the oldest in his class.

I just want to send out a word of encouragement to all the parents with these special kids. I know it is a lot of work and fustrating but i believe God only gives these wonderful kids to the most strong parents that he knows can handle it. The main thing is to just shower them in love!!!!! These kids are BRIGHT more so then the average person. They jsut don't know how to turn off their brain. They keep going and going and going!!!!!!
JenJen

JenJen said:
I just want to send out a word of encouragement to all the parents with these special kids. I know it is a lot of work and fustrating but i believe God only gives these wonderful kids to the most strong parents that he knows can handle it. The main thing is to just shower them in love!!!!! These kids are BRIGHT more so then the average person. They jsut don't know how to turn off their brain. They keep going and going and going!!!!!!
JenJen

I just wish DH was more of a help. When it's time for DS to do homework, all DH ever does is yell at him to do it. He never sits down and helps him organize, figure out what is most pressing, what he should do first, etc. DH throws so much negativity his way that I sometimes feel that I over compensate. That is why I love the summers so much...we can enjoy DS for the terrific boy that he is, without constant nagging about homework.

missypie, I hope this school year goes smoothly for you!

JenJen, thanks for the reminder to love our kids. DS has not been diagnosed with anything, and I guess that's what I'm worried about, but whatever happens, it won't change who he is. This is his next to last week at home before he starts real school and I'm just going to appreciate him. :) And make sure he gets to bed early. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter