Anybody ever gone with a 3 month old?

GEM

Mommy to Paul - 1lb 7oz wonder
My co-worker and her husband are thinking about heading down for a spur-of-the-moment short 4 night trip at the end of this month. They have booked a room at the Grand Floridian and plan on doing the Halloween party one night and the Food and Wine Festival one afternoon and evening. Other than that, they mostly plan to hang out and enjoy the resort. They will be taking their 3 month old daughter with them. As this is sort of a last minute thing, they really don't have a lot of information about taking a baby that young, and I told them I would ask for information here. Their daughter is very healthy and easy going. She's breastfed, if that makes a difference, so they won't have to deal with bottles. They will have to make the trip in two short segments - a flight from Little Rock to Atlanta and then a connecting flight to Orlando. There are no direct flights to Orlando from Little Rock.

So, I guess this is the question - Would you consider making the trip with a baby that young? What are the pros and cons? Please feel free to answer honestly. I told my friend that I would print out the responses here for her to read. Maybe that will help them decide if they should go through with it or not. Both my friend and her husband have been to WDW many times, but never with a baby. If they do decide to go, do you have any helpful advice regarding taking a small baby? Thanks!

I've gone to WDW with a 5 month old and again when DS was 8 months old and never once regretted it. Plus I had older children to contend with as well.

I'd say if they are not newbies and plan to take it as slow as you said they should have a wonderful time.

My only tips would be stroller (of course) but even more importantly, a baby carrier or sling, whatever they are more comfortable with. My DS slept in my front pack often, and it gives you an extra pair of hands getting on busses, as well as waiting in lines and riding on attractions. I think young babies IMO are very travelable. Another tip would be to bring plenty of receiving blankets to drape over the stroller and stay on the shady side of the walk ways. Bring a WIDE brimmed hat for baby, and some light weight long clothes for sun and bug protection. Don't forget about babycare centers at all of the parks. And my last tip is.....If possible, save the longer and/or dark rides, for nursing. SpaceShip Earth and Small World were both great places to nurse!

They'll have a ball!

I did it with a 5mo. The baby centers in each park were Godsends. My DD would NOT nurse in the parks. There was too much going on, and she was afraid she'd miss something. The nursing rooms in the baby centers were quiet, dark, and non-distracting. :)

Babies that age are so portable that unless she's a high-maintenance baby they should have no problems. And I'm sure they wouldn't even be considering the trip if she was high-maint.

My youngest son was 3.5 months the first time he went and it was a breeze. We only had a 3 hour drive down. We stayed in a Wilderness Home on that trip so used the car to do all our on-site transportation rather than deal with the buses. I would have definitely stayed on the monorail but I went with my mother, MIL and other 2 kids and we needed more room. When he was 8 months old we stayed in the CR and that was easier. He was nursing only on both trips, so that went great and he was young enough at 3.5 months that he didn't really get distracted nursing in shows and rides. I had received one of those backpack-style diaper bags and that was the only bag we took. If you want a stroller, you must bring your own because the rentals are not suitable for an infant. I have pictures of Minnie Mouse holding him at the Liberty Tree Tavern and we got all kinds of special attention on that trip.

my daughter was 3mo. as well for her first trip. We were there for a week at the PO resort and had no problems at all. Like someone mentioned earlier, smaller babies are very easy to travel with and it makes things easier if your nursing. Emily had no problems at all nursing wether it was in the park, at the baby care centers or at a resturant. If she was hungry the girl would nurse any where any time LOL. I also agree to bring either a sling or a front carrier. For us, it was a sling. Both me and my hubby found it more comfortable. The brand we had was called "over the shoulder baby holder". Yes, this was the name. That was excellent when it came to nursing because it was so discreet. I have to say, that when my hubby would carry Emily in the sling we got a lot of "oh, isn't that sweet" and "what a wonderful dad". I chuckled every time. Oh, and just an FYI we found that if you use receiving blankets to block the sun, use the plastic "links"(made by sassy or kids too in the baby dept. at walmart) to hook the blanket to the hood and sides. OK, I am finally finished. Sorry this is so long. Tell your friend to just take it at a relaxed pace and they will all do just fine.

:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

My DD was also 3 mths old for her first Disney trip (it was DLP, so cooler weather) and our main focus for the trip was DS who had just turned 3. Nusing in the sling kept her secure, warm, out of the sun/rain.....I could rave on and on. I think 3 mths is a much easier age than 5 or 6 mths so they are lucky. Tell them "no worries" and I hope they have a wonderful time :D

We've been there with our oldest son when he was 6 weeks old. We adopted him as a newborn and we'd only known he was coming for 3 weeks before he was born. Since we'd planned this trip with my parents MONTHS before we decided to just take the baby and go. We had a great time, my parent's loved every minute with their first grandchild (their 2nd was due the week we were gone!) and with 4 adults it was great. He was very alert and seemed to really like the colors and activity.

We didn't know about the baby centers then but did when were there with our younger son when he was 5 months old and then used them again with him when he was 9 months old.

Go for it!!!

My DD (5months) turned 3 months old while we were at WDW. She was a breeze. She breast fed whenever and wherever and did not mind being in the stroller. It was August when we went so I did not use a sling or a Baby Bjorn because it was too hot. I only used the baby centers once when it was pouring and DD was hungry, but they were clean and nice. Just follow the baby's lead. If they are cranky, than it's time to go back to the room or a less stimulating environment. I think they'll be fine 3mo olds are generally so easy and willing to sleep and eat anywhere. Hope they have a great time!!

I agree with the others... go for it!

Babies that young are SO portable. We went last month when my son was almost 3 months old and he was great. My 2 year old... well that's another story, LOL :)

The baby centers were GREAT!! It was so hot and humid the 2 weeks we went that the thought of nursing in the heat was not appealing. But the baby centers were so nice and clean, and there were games and activities for other children. It was a great place for some down time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter