Anybody see Noah? Part 2/HRH/IOA

Nan

Mouseketeer
August 1, 2001

Me, DH, DD16, DD12

We arrived at the HRH around 1 p.m. It is a gorgeous hotel. The person who helped me with check-in was "Mac" her tag said "Gloria", but she said call her "Mac". She was so nice and helpful. Everything was in order with my reservation.:) I showed her my Loew's 1st card "just in case" and she entered my number and then said, "Oh you are eligible for a welcome gift." We chose milk and cookies. Our room was not ready yet, but they unloaded our luggage onto a rolling rack and said they would keep it for us. We got our WONDERFUL temporary room key card and off we went to the parks.

The shortest route to the parks is out by the pool, but we had a little trouble finding it the first time so I will try and describe it for those who will go later. First, the lobby is on the 3rd floor - remember that little bit of info for future reference! If you are in the lobby, facing the pool with your back to the front door, the elevators are to your left past the HRH store and then turn right. Go to the first floor. (If you would rather, you can use the pretty winding staircase which is in the left corner of the lobby (your back still to front door). From the elevators go into the little foyer area where the staircase ends and look for the door to the outside that says "Beach Club" above it. Exit here. Go through the black gate. There is a little knob at on the left, top of the gate, pull it up and this opens the latch for the gate. Now you are looking at the beautiful pool - don't get too distracted!! Go to your right, there are two beige, tent-like cabanas. Walk in front of them and keep looking to your right for the Beach Club - an open air bar in the back right corner. Go through or around the bar area and take a 90 degree turn to the right. The gate will be down the sidewalk in front of you. There are several paths that are going to the slide, etc., but if you take a sharp right past the bar you will see the correct gate. There is a green button on the right before you get to the gate, push it and go out the gate (same knob to lift). Now turn left and follow this sidewalk around until you can turn to the left not far past the corner and you are only a very short walk from Universal Studios!! When we went out this last gate, there was a black SUV in front of where the sidewalk goes left and we thought we were in the wrong place and had to ask again. One more thing, take note of how this path looks as you walk to the park so that when you return later, you will know which path to take. Coming back, DON't follow the first arrow to the right to the HRH, go toward "Resort Busses, Shuttle whatever it says" which is left at the fork. Also, you have to use your room key to get back in the gate. You can tell we spent some time being lost so I thought I would try and save you the trouble!! Whew! Hope that wasn't an overshare.

We had a wonderful evening at IOA. Everything seemed so beautiful. Last year, I guess I was focused on getting to the rides and didn't notice how absolutely lovely the Port of Entry is. The music is wonderful and the buildings are beautifully done. Wow.

Anyway, off we went to, of course, Spiderman! We encountered an accident between Hulk and Spiderman - a lady on an ECV backed over an unsuspecting lady (sorry to bring up an unpleasant thread) We saw it happening, but it was too fast to warn her. I hope she wasn't hurt too badly, I am afraid she might have been. Well, on to Spiderman and out came the key and in we went to the Express Line. The ride attendants are very particular about checking your room key - I think that is a good thing. This was probably the longest we had to wait our whole trip - 15 minutes. The regular line had a 90 minute wait. Fabulous ride, as usual!! I got much wetter than I remember getting - not like a water ride or anything, but sprayed more than usual. (The water didn't work at all on our subsequent rides. I wonder if it was broken or something and that is why I got so wet the first time. Hmmm.....)

Next, we rode Cat In the Hat. We all just love this ride. It does spin and jerk a lot, so don't get on thinking it is just a simple little ride-through. There are also, parts where it is pretty dark. Things 1 and 2 were having trouble with their entrance - I think Thing 2 must have a pulled hamstring or something, he was just using one leg! It is such a neat colorful ride with such good illustration of the story. Fun, fun, fun.

We enjoyed walking through Suessland so much. My family thinks I am so smart because I know all this info about the McMonkey Driving Machine thing from reading this board. There was a car going around and it is all so cute, too bad it won't work.

Next stop, Poseidon. I just get chills when I walk across that bridge and hear that tinkling music and see the Griffin statue. The Poseidon Temple is so awesome, too. Out came the room key again and into the temple we go. I think I do like this new show better than the old one. Our "guide" Taylor (I guess they are all named Taylor) was quite good and believable. I had a small problem going through the vortex, though. It was so steamy going through there that my glasses fogged completely up and then it was dark in the next room and I couldn't see a thing. Was the vortex that warm and steamy before? I don't remember it being warm. Anyway, that is sort of a problem for those of us wearing glasses. You are completely blinded for a short time and having to walk into a dark room in a crowd. But the show was alright. I think some of the pyro malfunctioned, but all in all it was a pretty good show. When we came out it was (surprise) raining. There was a nice big covered area where we could wait out the rain. It never stopped, but did slow down to the drizzle that we had during our whole visit. It wasn't hot, though. That is a good thing in Florida in August.

Next we rode the Flying Unicorn which is a fun little coaster! Warning, it stops on a dime, twice, so be sure to get yourself braced and ready before the end. It stops outside the building so get ready for that and then again, of course, when it is time to exit. Be sure to notice the display of "Fairy Wings". I suppose fairies shed their wings from time to time and no fairies were harmed to fill this display.;) ;) Loved the Unicorn footprints in the walkways.

It was now Jurasic Park time. The River Adventure was in fine form with many improvements over last year. All the dinos seemed to be working, the box fell, we got spit on time and time again, it was really, really good. Won't go into much detail in case there are some first timers. The Triceratops Encounter was amazing. We missed it last year so it was a nice surprise. The vet was good. The surroundings in JP are so extraordinarily lush and green with gorgeous flowers mixed in. The occasional dino roar is effective, as well. Cudos to those who keep it all growing and nice. Just the small touches like fossils in the walkways and the jungle sounds, steam, etc. make this park such a great place to be. Another new thing for us was the Discovery Center. Even though she is 12, DD thought it was fun to look at the eggs and mix DNA - with tongue firmly in cheek.

The girls had done their most favorite things in IOA and we were getting hungry so we set off for the Hard Rock Cafe. We always enjoy being there. Room card got us right in to a table upstairs. I had blackened chicken penne pasta, DH had meatloaf, DD16 had cheeseburger and DD12 had the ever present chicken nuggets but these were shaped like guitars. We all enjoyed our food. DD16 asked the waitress if there was memorabilia from anyone who was still alive (she isn't all that impressed with the old, dead rockers) and we were directed to the Florida room at the foot of the back stairs. Both the girls were excited to see the 'NSYNC shirts, but we all agreed they were mighty ugly, the shirts that is!

We went out the door and into USF entrance close to Hard Rock Cafe.

Great report! It's sounds like you had a great first day. I know what you mean about the music when you enter IOA, it makes me smile to think about it.

Looking forward to the rest of your reports!

Memo to self: Don't use pool exit, grandsons would rather swim than go to the park. Don't need that enticement.

Thanks for the great directions...I'm sure we'll use them many times during our trip that is quickly approaching. (41 days and counting!!!)

excellent report! And great descriptions of all the rides and the HRH! :D

We did the Universal Vacations thing so I don't really know what the room rate was. Whatever it was, Express was worth it!!!

Nan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter