Anybody seen DUNE?

JimMIA

There's more to life than mice...
I think it just opened in theaters Oct 22nd, with some "private showings" on Oct 21.

DD 19 and her BF saw it last night and loved it, although I have heard it's long and slow and only covers the first half of the first Dune book.

Not yet....my husband wants to save it until after Halloween. I have no idea why...lol. Maybe he's savoring it a bit. We'll watch it at home on HBO Max....I know it's supposed to be amazing on the big screen, but our 65 inch TV should be enough...we have surround sound....and wine :). All that I know is that I watched the first shot at Dune back in the 80s...and it was pretty awful. It's streaming on HBO Max through November 21st.

We're doing a good bit of traveling (by car) for the next 10 days, so we won't be going right away. I'm going to try to find it at an Imax theater.

Watching it now. I read the book years ago on a 3 week trip to Greece....used to help me fall asleep each night LOL. My only gripe so far is the lines being whispered constantly. Makes it hard to hear what the heck they're saying.

Saw it this afternoon in an XD screen theater. Loved it !! Audio and Visuals were stunning, and the scope and world-building was spot on. This was the first movie I've seen in a theater since Covid and it was worth the wait. One of our local theaters has an Imax and I may try to see it again there next weekend.

Saw it - I've never read the book, but I enjoyed the movie. Note that I hated the 80's version. I was worried it would feel toooo looong, but it felt almost too short. It was slow in a good way, I think, and visually stunning. Movies don't have to be all chase scenes and explosions.

While we were watching the movie (like 2 hours in), our dogs suddenly insisted on going out. So DH paused the movie and griped "Sheesh...only ten minutes left and they couldn't wait??" As he's taking the dogs out.

My jaw hit the floor. 10 minutes??? We are only halfway through the book at this point! That's when I realized the movie is apparently a two parter (maybe?) Ain't nobody got time for that LOL!

I hope in the next installment they all speak up.

DH is an Uber mega Dune fan…of the book series. Last month, he baptized our teenagers in all of the previous Dune versions - the 80s one and the Sci Fi Miniseries from about 20 yr ago.

We saw it in a movie theater this weekend. We all loved it. Best version of Dune yet. Cinematography was great. Music/sound track was spot on, SO GOOD! Followed the spirit of the novel better than previous screen editions of Dune.

can’t wait for the next one to come out.

Am semi-sad that my boyfriend (Jason Momoa) didn’t get to take his shirt off. 🤣

Saw it - I've never read the book, but I enjoyed the movie. Note that I hated the 80's version. I was worried it would feel toooo looong, but it felt almost too short. It was slow in a good way, I think, and visually stunning. Movies don't have to be all chase scenes and explosions.

For me the 80's version was somewhat unusual. I didn't like it the first time I saw it but grew to enjoy it on later times watching it. A lot of the book had the internal conversations that occurred often in that version. I think this was off-putting to many viewers but it did follow the way the book was written. I think they did the best they could with the cinema technology at the time. In addition they are able to give the movie more screen time now than in the past - you can thank Harry Potter, Hobbit / Lord of the Rings & the Marvel movies for that. We now accept that some stories and material simply takes time to be told.

I am looking forward to seeing it. Got hooked on the books many years ago and have read the series multiple times. I am hopeful this version does them justice.

Long and slow is right. And I couldn't catch half of the dialog because it was so quiet, but the rest of the sounds were super loud.

I haven't read the books, all my knowledge comes from watching the Sci-Fi miniseries in 2000.

Have not seen this yet, but it is on my list of to do. The book was years ahead of it time. Love, sex, politics, religion, war and oh yes drugs. There is so much complexity in the book, it is really hard to tell the story in a movie and include all the aspects that make the book a classic.

Long and slow is right. And I couldn't catch half of the dialog because it was so quiet, but the rest of the sounds were super loud.

I haven't read the books, all my knowledge comes from watching the Sci-Fi miniseries in 2000.
Quiet dialog and VERY LOUD everything else is my pet peeve with movies in recent years. Happens way more than not, and I don't think it's about whispering or actors speaking too quietly, it's more how the movie is edited/put together. I wish movie makers would stop it.

We watched it. It appears to be a movie aimed at folks who read the book a few times. I haven't, so it was a challenge.

Never read the book, watched it yesterday, understood very little.

At least it was free on HBOMax.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter