• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anybody use digital cameras for scrapping?

shelbyjosh

<font color=purple>DVC/OKW Member<br><font color=t
I have a new Kodak 4800 DC. Do you have a preference for software? I have just bought that Picture It! 2001 and haven't had much of a chance to play. Do you have a paper preference? It seems that the pics I have printed come out with different (brighter, etc) colors than what is on the screen. If you have any tips for a new DC user, I would love to here them! Thanks!!!!!

When we first got our digital camera (Olympus D450 zoom), i printed the pictures myself on our HP722C inkjet printer on photo quality paper (usually Kodak). But I was never really satisfied with the quality - especially flesh tones. I actually stopped using the camera for a while & only used it for pics I would email to family & had no intention of printing.

Then I tried 2 online printing services, Shutterfly & Photopoint. I have been very happy with the quality from both - perhaps Shutterfly a bit more. I think it's 49 cents per 4x6. You can color correct, crop..... before uploading the file. On shutterfly, you can even do all that on their website.

There are other companies too. Some local stores can even print them now.
Do a test between companies: pick several pictures & submit the same pictures to each company & decide what company you like best.

That's all that I use anymore. We got a digital camera for Christmas and my printer (HP 932C) has been running itself ragged. I printed out 12 pages of pictures the other day from only one day of our April/May 2001 disney trip. As for the paper, I've tried quite a bit. I think that I prefer matte paper to the glossy paper; thicker paper to the thinner paper. However, for scrapping, the thinner paper is not all that bad. One good thing about printing your own pictures, you print what you want and the size you want it at; your choice and not some technicans somewhere else.

I am looking forward to trying the CM matter paper as I like the CM glossy paper. Right now, my favorite matte is the HP premier paper.

Good luck with your choices. I just love the digital camera.

mbs

I also forgot to mention that I do have a new Canon S600 printer, too. I have been using a glossy photo paper from Office Max. I have a friend that prints out on thin matte paper from Sam's Club. I asked her to pick me up a pack next time she goes. Her pics are so bright and vivid. Do many of you use the custom colors or do you let your program "auto fix" them? Thanks again for the feedback!

Hi Michelle, I have the same camera, and love it beyond compare...at least most of the time. :) (I'm a photographer by trade) The only problem with scrapping with stuff that comes from a printer, is the tendancy toward lifting. Meaning the image, if it gets somewhat humid, could lift to the covering above.

Recently there has been a new ink that is completely archival for up to 110 years put out on the market. Unfortunately, my printer won't take it, so I'm saving for one of those...however, if you just got a brand new printer, it could very well take it!! (lucky you!!! :p ) If the scrapping is just for fun...go for it, but if these are extremely cherished images...ie: baby pics...wedding pics...etc... you may want to shoot with both film and DC just to make sure you have a back up.

Just MHO... Have tons of fun with the new camera...it's a blast!!

:)

Robin, what programs do you use for that camera? What is the average size(pixels) that you make photos? Do you find one paper to be better than others? Any other tips to share since we have the same camera??? Thanks :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter