anyone a pro with scholarship stuff?

And your information about community college credits comes from where? Is it "many" or just those you have looked at?

I just looked on several college forum sites for the question and all have posts saying that they did that very thing--went from community college to university and their credits did transfer. These are students who plan to go on to grad school.

There are 3 large universities in this state, and dd will look at two out of state schools. All of which certainly do accept credits from the community college. Several of these schools, in fact, will advise students struggling in a course to drop it at their school and take it here and transfer the credit back in so that they stand a better chance of passing the course.

Eng Comp is Eng Comp is Eng Comp. Why should we pay $1200 to take it when $300 gives you the same class with the same instructor? And yes, it will transfer.

For some kids that didn't do well in high school or start college a little later or those that did do well enough in high school to get great scholarships to a community college (full rides, half tuition/books, etc), community college can be a great way for them to start school and get scholarships to a university so they aren't giving up anything. We have had students start here paying out of pocket and leave here with full rides to a university. So your information is not always correct.

....and like I said, several times--STATE schools usually accept the credits....said that many times, but since we were talking private schools.....;) . It's not as cut and dried as you want to make it either..and outside of your state schools, your chances are not good that they will accept the credits. When you are on the other end of the college process, come back and report how well it worked out for you outside of your state schools....have you have it 100% in writing that they will take EVERY class from the CC???? Feel free to assume it will go as planned though, but seeing it at the other end and how many of our kids' friends and other college students we know NOT have it work out for them and they all have to go another year or take summer classes at full cost....just not worth the little bit you save...if that....

And and FYI--even your state schools only accept SOME CC classes....

....and like I said, several times--STATE schools usually accept the credits....said that many times, but since we were talking private schools.....;) . It's not as cut and dried as you want to make it either..and outside of your state schools, your chances are not good that they will accept the credits. When you are on the other end of the college process, come back and report how well it worked out for you outside of your state schools....have you have it 100% in writing that they will take EVERY class from the CC???? Feel free to assume it will go as planned though, but seeing it at the other end and how many of our kids' friends and other college students we know NOT have it work out for them and they all have to go another year or take summer classes at full cost....just not worth the little bit you save...if that....

Yes, as I said above, my dd found out the hard way that Eng Comp 101 is not the same for transfer purposes from every cc. State Univ A will accept Eng Comp 101 from CC 1, but not from CC 2 while State Univ B will accept Eng Comp 101 from CC 2, but not CC 1. (I'm talking about same state community colleges and state universities.)

Also, she found out that transferring credits to an out of state school is a crapshoot. As an example, she got into USF Tampa as a transfer. BUT... in order to transfer any credits for her chosen major, she had to submit the syllabus, all course requirements in writing, contact information for each professor, and all written papers from every course for which she wanted credit. USF would then go over her work and the course information and determine what if ANY credits they would give for each course. Don't have all that information? No credit. Period. Oh and if it was a class that was graded on tests and class participation? You had to submit her tests. Professor didn't return tests to students and didn't keep them, so the student can't get the tests now? Oh, sorry. Forget about it. No credit. And there were no guarantees that she'd get ANY transfer credit at all. She could have ended up starting over again as a first semester freshman. Plus they offered her ZERO in merit scholarships.

It's definitely caveat emptor when it comes to trying to transfer credits. Do not assume anything.

FYI, I have seen it from both ends. Thanks though. No reason to get so bent out of shape. There is a private university right next door to our community college. Guess what? Our classes transfer. Funny, doesn't seem to be ALL private schools either.

No one said that every single class is going to transfer. Students take things all the time at other schools that don't transfer here. Eng Comp, Math courses, etc that are required of almost all majors, will transfers. Do I think dd's music/choir classes or theater classes will transfer, no, of course we are not counting on that. If you know that at the front end, you limit the things you take to what transfers or with a minimum of classes that won't.

You made the blanket statement that parents should not do things to save money--like have the student live at home or attend community college. That statement did not limit itself to private schools.

I am not doubting that there are schools that don't take the transfer credits. But to discredit anyone from using that route when you have no idea whether they have their information correct or not, is unfair and misinforming. We already KNOW what we are looking at as we know the schools dd will look at and I have already looked at the transfer policies and talked to advisers on our end. It takes being informed by the schools themselves.

Based on our experience most "merit" scholarships are not really merit. There is always a financial need buried in their somewhere.

FYI, I have seen it from both ends. Thanks though. No reason to get so bent out of shape. There is a private university right next door to our community college. Guess what? Our classes transfer. Funny, doesn't seem to be ALL private schools either.

No one said that every single class is going to transfer. Students take things all the time at other schools that don't transfer here. Eng Comp, Math courses, etc that are required of almost all majors, will transfers. Do I think dd's music/choir classes or theater classes will transfer, no, of course we are not counting on that. If you know that at the front end, you limit the things you take to what transfers or with a minimum of classes that won't.

You made the blanket statement that parents should not do things to save money--like have the student live at home or attend community college. That statement did not limit itself to private schools.

I am not doubting that there are schools that don't take the transfer credits. But to discredit anyone from using that route when you have no idea whether they have their information correct or not, is unfair and misinforming. We already KNOW what we are looking at as we know the schools dd will look at and I have already looked at the transfer policies and talked to advisers on our end. It takes being informed by the schools themselves.

No, I said I cringe when people force their kids to go down the street to college to save money...that's not a blanket statement, not even close. I also said that living in the dorms is not a financial decision for us....

I've also posted links to sites that prove my case correct. Other's have posted the same. People assume that the credits will transfer and often they do not and when people come and ask about that, it's only logical that those of us that have witnessed it first had say "hey, just make sure...." vs others that are making blanket statements that "they WILL transfer....". Some of us are looking farther down the road than freshman year and the issues trying to go to a community college to save a couple hundred dollars cause....

You got a spare room? ;)
Hadley, just curious, if the student is coming from the US how is tuition handled? My DD is currently looking at McGill in Montreal :faint:

She called me all excited a few weeks ago because the tuition is "not bad Mom" then I mentioned room, board, travel etc and the price tag went up substantially - weighing the options and having the conversations now so that she begins to understand the "entire" costs of college, not just tuition.

Yep, all those others are often more than tuition and fees. Sigh

In Germany university is tuition free for all, regardless of where you are from. So if she could get in she would not have tuition here (travel, yes, and there are no dorms just cheap student housing with roommates you line up yourself)

The Community College/4 Year University and On campus/Off Campus choices are all decisions that will be different for each student/family and location.

For our family, I will encourage my kids to start at the 4 year University. I have worked in academic advising at Community Colleges and Large 4 year Research Universities and from "my experience" the kids who started right at the 4 year university were better prepared for the rigors of Higher Education. It could be due to the fact that most kids can attend CC as the admissions standards are lower and the kids who are eligible to attend the 4 year right after HS are on average stronger students. It could be that students who attend the local CC and live at home see the experience as "going to classes" as opposed to "going to College".

I do see the benefit of getting involved with University life starting in Freshmen year with regards to the ability to do real research with highly regarded University Professors. You just can't duplicate that from what I have seen at the CC level.

I also see that there is a higher level of success with the students who live at school than those that live at home. There are many reasons for that we could discuss all day.

For many students, the CC is the only way they can go to College at all due to finances or opportunity and for those kids, the CC is awesome. Once again, there is no "right" answer.

No, I said I cringe when people force their kids to go down the street to college to save money...that's not a blanket statement, not even close. I also said that living in the dorms is not a financial decision for us....

I've also posted links to sites that prove my case correct. Other's have posted the same. People assume that the credits will transfer and often they do not and when people come and ask about that, it's only logical that those of us that have witnessed it first had say "hey, just make sure...." vs others that are making blanket statements that "they WILL transfer....". Some of us are looking farther down the road than freshman year and the issues trying to go to a community college to save a couple hundred dollars cause....

Actually, you have said it all over the board and have been saying it for years.

Everyone has to do what they can for their situation and their student and what works in their state/region and with the school their student wants to attend.

Looking at living at home, community college, etc are things that every parent should look at and consider whether it will help their student reach his/her goals.

To scare anyone away from simply trying to save money is ludacris. If you are IN their state and your kids are attending the SAME school, that's one thing. But it is different at every school and in most states. With a good community college system, universities will likely take the credits. But you have to look at/talk to the 4 year school you plan to or hope to attend.

Many kids may come out of high school without a single scholarship opportunity, attend 2 years at cc and come out with a full ride or darn close to a university. To say they are wasting time, doesn't make any sense.

Anyone with a kid about to attend college needs to look at ALL of the options and weigh them carefully. Talk to advisers both at the high school and the school they ultimately want to attend and perhaps one they may want to attend and transfer credits out of. That will give them the full picture.

Living at home/in the dorm is something that each parent and student will need to decide together. Some kids are not ready to move out and live in the dorm. I don't care if you post so many sites that your fingers fall off, I have seen it first hand and some are simply not ready. So living at home not only will save their parents money but it will save them a lot of heartache and failing classes.

I have looked much further than freshman year, myself. I knew the school dd would attend first and I wanted to make sure it was going to work to her benefit and I do know that it will. Since I work with students every day that do the same thing, I also know from their experience.

The Community College/4 Year University and On campus/Off Campus choices are all decisions that will be different for each student/family and location.

For our family, I will encourage my kids to start at the 4 year University. I have worked in academic advising at Community Colleges and Large 4 year Research Universities and from "my experience" the kids who started right at the 4 year university were better prepared for the rigors of Higher Education. It could be due to the fact that most kids can attend CC as the admissions standards are lower and the kids who are eligible to attend the 4 year right after HS are on average stronger students. It could be that students who attend the local CC and live at home see the experience as "going to classes" as opposed to "going to College".

I do see the benefit of getting involved with University life starting in Freshmen year with regards to the ability to do real research with highly regarded University Professors. You just can't duplicate that from what I have seen at the CC level.

I also see that there is a higher level of success with the students who live at school than those that live at home. There are many reasons for that we could discuss all day.

For many students, the CC is the only way they can go to College at all due to finances or opportunity and for those kids, the CC is awesome. Once again, there is no "right" answer.

That can and does happen. Honestly the students that attend cc with a clear picture in mind of what they plan to do, whether its a 2 year tech degree or transferring for a higher degree; are the ones that do better.

And I don't disagree with some reasons to begin at the 4 year, but I can also give many reasons to begin at a cc and the opportunities the students will have. It isn't going to be the same at every cc across the country or even across one state. Some are better than others, no doubts there. Our students get some amazing opportunities because of the fine quality of our teaching staff (most of whom have the same educational background as their university counterparts) but I do know that's not going to happen everywhere.

The time for pushing aside cc education though has passed and it is something that parents/students should feel free to explore and not feel like its something to look down on. But again, its going to vary by state and cc just as the opportunities at a 4 year are going to vary by school.

Based on our experience most "merit" scholarships are not really merit. There is always a financial need buried in their somewhere.

I agree with this. It just feels better for everyone involved (schools, students and parents) to use the term merit. Schools get to pretend that they are recruiting a higher stock of student. Parents get to brag about their child etc.

What most of these private schools are doing is offering a discount on the inflated sticker price. I have no doubt that academic achievement is considered but mainly for the purpose of getting higher quality students to attend. I don't think that merit is the appropriate term, but seems now to be a catch-all for private school awards.

I know that anecdotal evidence does not prove an entire theory but this example applies. We have a family friend whose daughter was described as a top student blah blah blah. Her application to Clemson (U.S. News #62 National University), our top state university, was denied. She was accepted at Wofford (U.S. News #77 Liberal Arts College) which carries a $50,000 annual price tag (tuition, R&B, books.) You can imagine the bragging when she was awarded $25,000 in "merit" money. In all likelihood, this was a good student who could not afford the $50k and the school was willing to discount the cost to get her to attend.

I guess the point is that "merit" is somewhat relative. Wofford, a decent private school, is offering $25,000 in "merit" money to a student who was denied acceptance to a very good, but not great, state university. I would imagine that the "merit" intelligence threshold for the less than stellar private schools is even lower.

I agree with this. It just feels better for everyone involved (schools, students and parents) to use the term merit. Schools get to pretend that they are recruiting a higher stock of student. Parents get to brag about their child etc.

What most of these private schools are doing is offering a discount on the inflated sticker price. I have no doubt that academic achievement is considered but mainly for the purpose of getting higher quality students to attend. I don't think that merit is the appropriate term, but seems now to be a catch-all for private school awards.

I know that anecdotal evidence does not prove an entire theory but this example applies. We have a family friend whose daughter was described as a top student blah blah blah. Her application to Clemson (U.S. News #62 National University), our top state university, was denied. She was accepted at Wofford (U.S. News #77 Liberal Arts College) which carries a $50,000 annual price tag (tuition, R&B, books.) You can imagine the bragging when she was awarded $25,000 in "merit" money. In all likelihood, this was a good student who could not afford the $50k and the school was willing to discount the cost to get her to attend.

I guess the point is that "merit" is somewhat relative. Wofford, a decent private school, is offering $25,000 in "merit" money to a student who was denied acceptance to a very good, but not great, state university. I would imagine that the "merit" intelligence threshold for the less than stellar private schools is even lower.

I agree, the reality is that is is a discount and why not?? The price, however, isn't necessarily inflated. State schools are highly subsidized via taxes and their cost to educate works out to be about the same as a private school...then you take out tax dollars that off-set the state school price. Look at the out of state costs for any public school and you will see that their overall costs very similar to the private schools in the area.

Merit is used because it's not need based financial aid. Merit isn't always just academic though..sometimes it's music talent, sports talent, scholarships because a school is trying to get a new major off the ground, etc. None of these, however, have anything to do with a students financial standing since they are almost always awarded before any financial information is supplied.

As for your example--Yield protection is very important to many, many schools.....

And your information about community college credits comes from where? Is it "many" or just those you have looked at?

I just looked on several college forum sites for the question and all have posts saying that they did that very thing--went from community college to university and their credits did transfer. These are students who plan to go on to grad school.

There are 3 large universities in this state, and dd will look at two out of state schools. All of which certainly do accept credits from the community college. Several of these schools, in fact, will advise students struggling in a course to drop it at their school and take it here and transfer the credit back in so that they stand a better chance of passing the course.

Eng Comp is Eng Comp is Eng Comp. Why should we pay $1200 to take it when $300 gives you the same class with the same instructor? And yes, it will transfer.

For some kids that didn't do well in high school or start college a little later or those that did do well enough in high school to get great scholarships to a community college (full rides, half tuition/books, etc), community college can be a great way for them to start school and get scholarships to a university so they aren't giving up anything. We have had students start here paying out of pocket and leave here with full rides to a university. So your information is not always correct.
It really depends on the school and the program.

As I mentioned, our public state university requires all freshman to live on campus. It is very hard to get a waiver because they are only granted for financial need.

Also, whether credits transfer also depends on the school of the University. At the school my child chose, going to a Community College is a great choice for those going into the school of Arts and Sciences. It is not so great a choice when trying to get into their school of Engineering. They do not believe that Eng Comp is the same thing at one school as it is another. They will not accept transfer credits for any class that is also a prerequisites for any of the Engineering classes, so that rules out transferring any of the beginning science or math classes.

It really depends on the school and the program.

As I mentioned, our public state university requires all freshman to live on campus. It is very hard to get a waiver because they are only granted for financial need.

Also, whether credits transfer also depends on the school of the University. At the school my child chose, going to a Community College is a great choice for those going into the school of Arts and Sciences. It is not so great a choice when trying to get into their school of Engineering. They do not believe that Eng Comp is the same thing at one school as it is another. They will not accept transfer credits for any class that is also a prerequisites for any of the Engineering classes, so that rules out transferring any of the beginning science or math classes.

Exactly true. Which is why a parent and/or student should really look at all options before deciding.

The link the pp posted was interesting. And I noticed the point that the successful students are the ones with a plan. It makes all the difference in the world.

These two statements contradict each other, BTW. If a student is struggling to pass a course at a university, and then takes an easier version of it at the community college (in order to pass it), then Eng Comp is not Eng Comp, and the universities know that.

My husband would have loved it if our son decided to live at home and attend a local university. Our son not only wanted to go away to school, he wanted to go to school in another state.

A coworker of mine has a son was lives at home while going to the local university. Her son doesn't like the dorms at the school. He is doing very well in school. I think there are pros and cons to both living at home and living in a dorm.

These two statements contradict each other, BTW. If a student is struggling to pass a course at a university, and then takes an easier version of it at the community college (in order to pass it), then Eng Comp is not Eng Comp, and the universities know that.

Its not that the work is easier. Its the difference in less than 30 students in the classroom and over 100 in the class and the instructor being able to give one on one time to a struggling student. If the class wasn't the same it wouldn't transfer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter