• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

anyone a pro with scholarship stuff?

It's a competitive field...and yes, going away does make a difference...but, until you live through it, I guess you won't understand the importance...

Well I DID live thru it
My kids attended the local University ( #2 ranked State school)
Both have great jobs- no debt ( thanks to our states free tuition program)

Thanks everyone! I know my Dd will do great! As will most of the other kids who may decide to not go away.

Happy Snowman...I am sure you are a very nice person, but your posts come across as EXTREMELY condescending.

And for the record, both dh and I did go to college as well as advanced degree and we turned out pretty good. so yeah....we DID live through it.:rotfl2:

Keep thinking that.... even on campus, professor to professor classes are not the same. The kids know which prof is easy and which is hard and if the school is suggesting that they take a class at a CC, they know it's easier, but they have articulation agreements and HAVE to take the class (state schools), that doesn't make it the same. It can also backfire if it's a required course for their major and want to move on to grad, medical, law school, etc. though too....

We were talking about Eng Comp which is required of every major.

Not every instructor teaches the same so to say its word for word the same would not be even close to what I am saying. But it covers the same. The course descriptions and the syllabus of what is covered is looked at to make that articulation agreement.

DD knows what she wants to do and where she wants to do it. She knows what she needs to take and her choices to transfer to. So, I don't need to "keep telling myself" anything. But thanks.

As for going away to school, please. There are thousands of students on any one campus that commute from home. Many of them are in highly competitive fields. Are you seriously saying that every one of them are going to be without jobs in their fields some day? :rotfl: Seriously? The OP's dd will be just fine without taking your "live on campus at all costs" advise. Its not the best advise for every student out there.

I am sure your kids are doing great, had a great education (or are getting one) and will be highly successful. That doesn't mean their way is the only way.

We actually had four recent graduates from our local high school come back and speak to this year's seniors (although I told them juniors would be the better audience) about their freshman college experience.

While the two young women attending two different local community colleges talked about how they worked part time while attending (they considered that a plus), they bemoaned the fact that no one stayed around campus at CC after classes. There was no social life, and all of their high school friends were gone off to college, and they felt lonely and left behind. Now, those were just two people's experiences, but they were the two who stayed home.

The two young men talked about the social aspects of staying on campus (one in state, one a few hours away in another state) and the struggle to find the balance of free time/study time. They were pretty happy with their experiences and gave the kids some great advice about how to keep it together on campus. But once again, those experiences were just from two people.

I think students need to balance many things - cost, degree, networking, social growth, possible denial of transfer credits, etc. It certainly isn't a one size fits all application.

If anyone has any questions about MIT, any of the UMass or Mass state universities, or the Colleges of the Fenway, I'd be glad to try to answer them.

We actually had four recent graduates from our local high school come back and speak to this year's seniors (although I told them juniors would be the better audience) about their freshman college experience.

While the two young women attending two different local community colleges talked about how they worked part time while attending (they considered that a plus), they bemoaned the fact that no one stayed around campus at CC after classes. There was no social life, and all of their high school friends were gone off to college, and they felt lonely and left behind. Now, those were just two people's experiences, but they were the two who stayed home.

The two young men talked about the social aspects of staying on campus (one in state, one a few hours away in another state) and the struggle to find the balance of free time/study time. They were pretty happy with their experiences and gave the kids some great advice about how to keep it together on campus. But once again, those experiences were just from two people.

I think students need to balance many things - cost, degree, networking, social growth, possible denial of transfer credits, etc. It certainly isn't a one size fits all application.

If anyone has any questions about MIT, any of the UMass or Mass state universities, or the Colleges of the Fenway, I'd be glad to try to answer them.

In this state most cc have dorms at one campus. Our school has 3 campuses with the main one having dorms. Dd will attend there.

The campus I am on is a commuter campus and the very thing those girls said used to be the case for our "right out of hs" students. But changes were made by our faculty to give them as many social opportunities as possible. Clubs, organizations, campus events, etc have given them somewhat of a college experience. Its definitly something to take in consideration when considering this route. You want whatever keeps your student in school and successful.

Our whole State college system was changed with higher grades, SAT scores etc for admission and all the remedial classes gone. But each Uni has to have a CC nearby for those students who cant get in.

At present Ours is housed in a deserted Store near the UNI.
it doesn't have anywhere the feel of the ivy covered old colonial Buildings in the original Quadrangle of our University-I can not imagine anyone 'hanging out" or even joining clubs there.
But one good thing is its within walking distance of the Uni

Our whole State college system was changed with higher grades, SAT scores etc for admission and all the remedial classes gone. But each Uni has to have a CC nearby for those students who cant get in.

At present Ours is housed in a deserted Store near the UNI.
it doesn't have anywhere the feel of the ivy covered old colonial Buildings in the original Quadrangle of our University-I can not imagine anyone 'hanging out" or even joining clubs there.
But one good thing is its within walking distance of the Uni

The differences in community colleges can be drastic. Our main campus is an old and beautiful campus not a lot different than some of the smaller 4 year schools. Our campus is only 7 buildings but spread out. And we have areas set aside for events and activities.

I see we've moved on to the "best college experience is living at college experience" stuff. Of course, if a college out of state is the perfect college for a person, then it makes sense. But if their major is great at colleges close to home, why should they spend more money to go away?

I speak from experience. I have 2 brothers and 3 sisters (I'm second oldest). All of us were college bound. And we all went to school in state (New York), all but one of us living at home while we did so. And the one that lived in the dorm went to a state college, and the dorm was about an hour away.

And believe me, we had the full college experience - we went to parties, got involved in campus activities, studied all night - and because we were living at home, we were able to go to a private school that gave us all a great education. And 5 of the 6 of us got advanced degrees that we could afford because we lived at home as college students. In case anyone is wondering, both brothers are doctors, one sister is a lawyer, another a physical therapist, another a social worker. I'm the black sheep of the family - no advanced degree, just a BA in English that kept me employed at a publishing company.

But I guess I should have gone away to school because that's the only way to prepare for life.

Good link. My kid's got merit based offers from some of the schools on this list. However, they were private schools and their offers simply brought it down to the price of the state schools. More options open to them for sure, but not "cheaper."

Our best deal overall was one son who is attending a state school (not the flagship) that offered merit money.

Our son at the flagship looked for outside scholarships to start and then merit through his department once he was further into his degree.

Time will tell....:thumbsup2

That's a lot of bravado considering that your older son dropped out after a semester and your twins go to a mid-tier Midwest liberal arts school of absolutely no distinction. Before you judge people and make disparaging comments based on their child's choices, I'd suggest you think about how your children's lack of accomplishments reflect on you according to your own standards. Or to put it simply:

You're pointing your fingers at other, and 3 fingers are pointing back at you.

That's a lot of bravado considering that your older son dropped out after a semester and your twins go to a mid-tier Midwest liberal arts school of absolutely no distinction. Before you judge people and make disparaging comments based on their child's choices, I'd suggest you think about how your children's lack of accomplishments reflect on you according to your own standards. Or to put it simply:

You're pointing your fingers at other, and 3 fingers are pointing back at you.

:confused3

Bluestar...totally agree...there are pros and cons to both.

My DD graduates this year and has decided she wants to go into teaching.
she was accepted everywhere she applied with merit aid at two schools...one a state University (neighboring state so out of state tuition) and one a Private College.

We have been comparing the numbers and haved found...two schools with merit aid will cost 32,000 a year. Our State schools will average 23,000 a year. Local State University with a great Education program to commute would cost $8000 a year.

In her words, it is a no brainier...she thinks she wants to commute. Her reasons are...no loans...wants to travel and will have the money to do that....thinks her and a friend would like to get an apt. In a year or so.(which will probably change ;), along with the fact that she has absolutely no desire to live in a dorm. She is the type of kid that is VERY motivated and mature for her age.

DH and I have told her not to discount living away for what the extra 13,000 a year would be at another state school. She would have to do some loans because we also have other kids behind her to pay for, but we would help her as much as possible.

Her exact words were...."the goal is to get the degree and teaching certificate right? So if I can get that with no debt and can then start the rest of my life on a good financial footing, how is living in a dorm for a year or two going to make a huge difference?" " It's not like I can't get along with other people or balance a checkbook or do my own cooking and laundry by now anyway, right?" "And let's face it...teachers don't make a heck of a lot anyway so why would I want to start that with loans?"

DH and I laughed and realized she really isn't the type of kid who needs to go away to grow up. She is more mature at 18 than half the adults we know.:). Final decision hasn't been made, but we know what she is leaning towards.

So I truly believe it depends on the kid. Her brother already knows he wants to go away....which will be great for him. I also think money really should play a deciding factor to some extent considering the student loan crisis our country has.

Every family has to make their own decisions and I think every kid is different. What works for one doesn't always work for all.

ITA. One has to do what is right for the child and/or family. My DS22 is a college senior and he changed course a few times.

My doctor, as well as other professionals at the time my DS was in HS recommended CC to start. DS did not but considered the option. A friend of ours has 3 DDs 2 are in college, the 3rd a HS sophomore. The first DD did 2 years at CC for free in a now defunct state program. She transferred to a very a very small 4 year college but went the 5th year to complete her grad school. She is graduating with honors as an occupational therapist. The 2nd DD is a junior at same small college in honors classes for nursing. My point is not every path is the same and not all need to start at the 4 year school.

That's great that she wants to save money, but, when it comes to applying for jobs and such, campus involvement, leadership, etc. are going to be something she needs and it's just not easy to do as a commuter... I would just make sure she talks to kids that are freshmen/sophomores that commute to that school now and see what they have to say.

Also, just make sure she understands that commuting costs aren't limited to just tuition. Parking alone can be $100's of dollars each month depending on the school....gas, car expenses, etc...and lost time--not sure how far away you are though.

Disagree. DS best friend commutes, now a senior and has already secured his job. Working part time now, turning full time after graduation in a prestigious accounting firm. He opted to commute for financial reasons and never looked back. My point is that there is not one way to reach your end goal.

Your dd is going fine and on a great path to a great future.
Now, if she as like my dd, doing DE and going to the local CC, then transferring to a 4 year University, she'd be screwed according to some :lmao:

:thumbsup2:rotfl2:

My DS is a college senior. We've seen many scenarios with his friends and our friends situations. They are all turning out well and finding great opportunities.

We are in a very good school system and our HS is rated quite highly. There were many different paths they have taken.

That's great that she wants to save money, but, when it comes to applying for jobs and such, campus involvement, leadership, etc. are going to be something she needs and it's just not easy to do as a commuter... I would just make sure she talks to kids that are freshmen/sophomores that commute to that school now and see what they have to say.

Also, just make sure she understands that commuting costs aren't limited to just tuition. Parking alone can be $100's of dollars each month depending on the school....gas, car expenses, etc...and lost time--not sure how far away you are though.

How many employers ask this? Really?

My Designer son was hired strictly on his Portfolio. Period
It was a 6 month Internship that turned into a career

One point I did want to also make is that I do think it is important to keep the end point in mind....getting a degree. Earning that degree will, hopefully, help them begin a long and successful (both monetarily and intrinsically) career.

If a kid comes out of college buried in debt to start it is very hard to start off their adult life on a strong financial footing.

Unfortunately, we know SO many families who insisted their was no other way to have a successful college career without living away. Well their kids have now graduated and moved BACK home because they can't afford to live on their own due to their loans.

People really need to take all this into consideration. There is a big difference in taking out a$20,000 loan versus winding up with $100,000 plus in debt when they graduate.

I literally just had a conversation with a friend who also has a DD graduating this year. She was so excited to tell me her dd received a scholarship to a private college in the next state. Her scholarship was for $6000 a year...but the school is $53,000 a year. She then tells me she will just have to do loans since nothing was saved. That is $180,000 in loans this kid might have...and she doesn't even have an idea of a major yet.

If they had a lot of money saved and could afford it, I say go for it if they want. But they don't and I actually feel bad for this kid. Not so sure that at 17 she really understands...since her mother doesn't seem to.

How many employers ask this? Really?

My Designer son was hired strictly on his Portfolio. Period
It was a 6 month Internship that turned into a career

I think I probably listed a couple of campus things on my very first resume while I was still in school part time. I had a job in high school and an internship in college. Those plus the job I had in college were sufficient for the next job and the resume just grew from there.

That's great that she wants to save money, but, when it comes to applying for jobs and such, campus involvement, leadership, etc. are going to be something she needs and it's just not easy to do as a commuter...

I think this is as much a product of campus culture as living arrangements, and speaks to the need to make sure whatever college a student chooses is a good all-round fit. It can be easier to get involved as a commuter at a traditional school than as a on-campus student at a university where most students commute. It is something I have heard from several of my classmates - that as a commuter school (about 85%) there just isn't a very robust campus culture to get involved in.

Come on, why the fake confusion? You make it way too easy.

Happy Snowman said:

My son recently graduated with a degree in Chemical Engineering from a state school. There were companies lining up to hire him and his fellow graduates. All the graduates started working within a week of graduation, all earning close to 6 figures. None, and I mean none, of the companies had any interest in campus involvement, leadership or anything else. The only interest they had were classes and internships.

He lived on campus the first year, then moved home for the rest of his schooling. He had absolutely no problem being part of the "campus life." He spent more hours on campus in the engineering labs than he did at home. It didn't matter where his bed was.

As for the cost to park, his University, like most, had a student parking pass. It cost $200 for the year for him to park on campus, not hundreds each month.

Where you sleep has little to do with a person's decision on how much they want to be part of campus life. There are plenty of resident students that just study and go to class and have nothing to do with extracurricular activities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter