• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone been in April?? (Long, sorry)

StitchIsOurHero

<font color=red>I was smart enough to marry a DH w
Ok, I know this should go in the Trip Planning Forum (or maybe in the "crazies" forum since I just got back today and I'm ready to plan another one), but I KNOW y'all, so I wanted your advice!!

Here's the deal: We have DVC points, and pre-DS, we went a couple of times a year. DS & I are morning people--up with the chickens (or whatever gets up that early). I got up at 5 on our trip each day. DH is fine in the mornings, but he's a night owl. All of that goes to say that it works better for us to have a 1-bedroom. Sooooo, with needing a 1BR, we're at one trip a year. Now, I'm extremely grateful for one trip a year--definitely not complaining!!! But, it makes it more "interesting" to pick times.

We had originally planned to go back in June 2011. DS is free til August 2011 (when he turns 3). So, we were going to get in one more "freebie" trip. Just based on my work calendar, it would be almost the exact same week we went this time. That falls under the middle column for point value (not extremely low, but not high, either). We were going to try at the 7-month window for BLT or VWL (the two we haven't stayed at). The heat this past week wasn't bad, bad, but it wears DS down quickly and he's a go-go kid! So we started looking at April. My Spring Break is April 4-8. Not Easter week, so we're good there, but because it's April, it's in the next-to-top point range. Boardwalk is the most "economical" during that time, and we LOVED it (more on that later), so we could try that.

All of this lonnnnnnnnnng story to say: how are the crowds? Without it being Easter week, are they still super-high due to other places Spring Break? That's a LATE Spring Break for us, but I didn't know how it was for others. Crowds don't necessarily bother me--we're just weighing heat vs. crowds.

Any commentary/advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks for listening to my Disney ramblings!!

I've never been in April, and the one time I went during Spring Break (March, but not Easter) was my honeymoon and I don't have a clue what the crowds were like. :love:

When is Easter? From my (probably unhealthy) extensive research of multiple trips, I *think* the crowds go down after Easter.

Steph

I'd love to know too. Morgan will be in 5th grade this fall, and aside from the one week in October/November, she really can't miss anymore school. I'd like to go during April vacation, DH wants to go next June (once school is out).

Easter 2011 is on April 24th, so it's a few weeks before Easter. We went the year I was pregnant the week of Easter (we were there on Easter and the week following). The crowds were AY CHI WA WA!!!! We've done June (different weeks) and also July. September is by far my favorite (and my work is kind enough to allow me to do that, if I schedule it), but it's past DS's bday!

Wow, I didn't realize Easter was that late! I would say it wouldn't be horrible being 3 weeks away from Easter, but I could be wrong.

We've had great luck going immediately as soon as our boys get out of school for the year, but they're always out before Memorial Day.

Not sure this will help much, but it's what I've got.

I have been at the beginning of the Spring Break season (first week of March) and the tail end (mid April). The crowds were not bad at all! Most of the colleges have their Spring Break in mid to late March, so I think that early week in April shouldn't be too bad. The crowds will definitely lighten up as the week goes on.

Here is a site that shows when a lot of the bigger colleges had their break this year, just to give you an idea: Click Me!

The crowds at MK yesterday were worse than I have seen them in April in a week that far from Easter.

Rebecca

Here in MA, our spring vacation is always the week of the third Monday in April - we celebrate Patriot's Day. No matter when Easter falls, we have the same week off, and a number of other states around here also have it off. It seems to be ok, but the closer our week falls to Easter, the more crowded it becomes. I have almost always gone in April, and have just avoided the bigger parks on the weekends. Very do-able and the heat is not so intense either.
Took 24 of my students this yr and it was rainy more than anything else, but they had an awesome time. Caroline

Hey there, SIOH!!! Just getting back on Dis a little more this week to do the same thing, to plan two more trips!

I have been to WDW in April several times, mainly for Flower and Garden Fest. That also brings in more people, but more on the weekends, at Epcot.

Next year, things are different due to Easter being so much later than usual, so I don't know really what to expect. It might spread out the crowds some.
I am wanting to go down two days after Easter to celebrate a big birthday (yuk!) and also, of course for Flower and Garden. Normally, I wouldn't go that close to Easter but I want to be there for my birthday. My friends, who live in Orlando, have told me they think a lot of people will be returning home on Easter Sunday just because it's so close to school being out (in another month). Probably the week before Easter will be really crowded. Plus, I would think schools would more likely have their spring breaks earlier. Not having kids (human), I have no idea about that part.

I wouldn't hesitate to go the first week of April when you are considering a trip as long as you know there will be moderate crowds. It's beautiful then and you will enjoy the flowers, etc. The temps are a lot more comfortable, though I know you're used to warm weather anyway.

I'd say go for it.........and like others have said, go to AKL (Sat.) and MGM (Sun.) on the weekend.

Have fun, and give that little guy a hug for me!

We have been in April a few times. I love it in April as the weather is usually nice and its not too crowded. However we have been close to easter twice now and didn't think the crowds were bad. I think its a perfect time of year to go. My birthday is April 3rd so thats the week we have been.

Thanks for all of the advice! I knew I could count on my DIS buddies for help! It looks like we're doing April 2011. Called today to book at SSR (with the hope of switching at the 7-month window). The cast member told DH he'd be just as well off to wait til the 7-month window (Sept 2) and try then. . .b/c we were 90% certain to be able to get in to at least SSR, without having to borrow points. Still not sure I want to go this route--I'd like to at least be sure RIGHT NOW that I have a room, but that's just me!!

YodasMom--it's so great to "see" you!! And thanks for reminding me about F&G! I'm even more excited for April now!!

I agree with you about booking now for SSR and then moving at the 7 month mark. My DH listened to MS once and waited and we had to be waitlisted for everything. It did work out though. I hope you get into where you want to stay. We have never been in April and we are not going until Nov 2011 :sad2: We had to skip this year due to the pregnancy thing and all;). We thought the baby will be a little over a year when we go. We have been there with little ones before, but we are too old to go that route again.
I'm think that you should be good with Easter being that late for your week. Good luck with the plans.

Cindy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter