Anyone been on the DCL with a 13 year old with Autism?

joyfull

Mouseketeer
We are going on our first Cruise with our 13 year old Autisic son. We have been to disney world many different times with no problems really. But im not really sure how he will do on a cruise. He loves anything disney (the first clue he has autism LOL) and he loves the titanic (which I think the disney ship kinda looks like....ha) Jaws is another of his favorite movies (hmmmmm I don't know how that would help ;-) ) He also loves to swim and throw things into lakes oceans etc.....

Anyone else gone on the DCL with a child with Autism?

:crazy:

Well, we are in the same "boat". My child has just been diagnosed with Asperger's. He is 11 years old and we have already paid for the cruise and our stay at Disney for afterwards. Have been to DW before and had few problems but I am a little apprehensive about the cruise now. I figure I'll just have to spend a little time with him in the club, use our radios, etc. He might be OK on his own but then again....

My son also loves the water and is looking forward to the beach. We're still going of course, but I'll just be more careful of him around others. There's so much to do onboard that I doubt it will be a problem.

Anyway, I know how you feel...

Disney has asked that we have a doctor fill out a form. Did they ask that yall do the same? :earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsboy:

I have not heard anything about a form but then again I haven't told anyone that my son has Asperger's as we've just found out. I am going to talk over our trip with his doctor and I'll check into some kind of form then. Is this a form that Disney supplies or will a doctor's note work? My son is healthy and there are no real problems with others.

The form basically asked for a diagnosis and a list of any medications being taken. I'm diabetic and have multiple medical problems so I take a bunch of meds. I think is probably so they can anticipate needs in case meds are lost or you do get ill and need care.
My doc didn't list my hearing impairment as he doesn't consider it a medical problem. But DCL knows about it and interpreters are being provided.

We just returned from DW with our 12 year old autistic son and had a ball. Shane loves lots of motion (as in Space Mountain) and trains so DW was an ideal place for him. He was engaged the entire time and really easy to communicate with.

We did not take a cruise but we stayed in a vacation home with a pool and spa and since he loves the water as well this was also ideal.

It was so good that we are returning next April for 2 weeks!!!!

Let me know how it turns out and have a great time!:wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter