Anyone cancelling WDW trip due to economy?

db2dzny

Earning My Ears
My family and I have been planning for MONTHS our first ever family WDW trip set for Thanksgiving. Because of the sudden huge economy scare, we are actually rethinking our decision to even go. My husband and I do have very secure careers but we have one in college and two coming up the ranks. We are very fiscally conservative and enjoy life that way. We have the vacation money set aside, but are thinking maybe we need to put it on hold til we see how the economy does and the ramifications of this whole mess.
Does anyone else feel the same way?

Not me - we are making some changes here and there but I'm not going to place my life on hold for something that may or may not happen.

I am so tired of the news media trying to scare the pants off of everyone - that's just my hormonal opinion of the moment, haha!

No way...in fact, your vacation will help the economy...If you can afford it, do it....Carpe diem (cease the day)!:banana:

I didn't cancel my disney trip....but I cancelled my Jamaica trip this January:headache:

I'm hoping we can get there before June so i don't have to pay to put my miles back. I'm tight right now....going to Disney next month... I just could not justify going. Growing up stinks:scared: :goodvibes
Kerri

We are certainly scaling back and watching our money, though we both have secure jobs. Our goal is to have 2-3 years worth of mortgage payments in the bank, which admittedly is on the extreme side of fiscal conservatism. One of the (many) problems facing Wall Street right now is a lack of available capital - no one wants to lend money. That same problem is starting to impact main street - last week Amex decreased the credit lines for nearly 50% of their customers (as per an article in either the NYT or WSJ - can't remember which). If you are a person who uses credit cards to help pay bills (which many of my friends do) that's how this is going to impact you. You won't have as much credit to be able to spend. If you pay cash, have secure jobs then you probably won't feel this as much. But, you may be paying more for groceries, gas, and the cost of whatever bailout plan gets passed which means less money to spend on the non-essentials.

If you have the money already saved, go. A year from now or two years when your kids are in college (the ones coming up the ranks),you may not have the extra money or time. Enjoy your trip and your family.

As for me...I am going over Thanksgiving as well. We rented points for DVC so there is no backing out now.

We thought about cancelling/postponing (for about 3 seconds!) and then realized that life is too short! we don't know what tomorrow will bring, and since we have the money saved up we are going to go for it! no regrets...and maybe the happy memories will help us get through the rough times ahead a little easier. :yay:

We leave in 9 hours :cool1: , We will book bounceback for next year while we are there.

Husband lost his job a week ago, had to cancel vacation. Thank Goodness the lady I purchased the points off of for DVC is selling my points to a friend. I lost a bit of money but I am still going to get something out of it. I am not going to lie, it sucks my heart is broken. I so wanted to go, but family comes first and so does bills..:headache: I am hoping everything works out and next fall we can go again, we have been blessed to have gone many times..

We leave in about 7 hours and we have a 2nd trip booked for October. Granted, we're staying on vacation club points and we take cheap flights w/ southwest... but we're going. Not sure about the Jan/Feb trip I wanted to take... that may not be able to happen.
Good Luck whichever way you decide. :)

No, we aren't cancelling this year's trip. We leave in 3 weeks. Everything is paid for and we have spending money set aside.

That said, we are thinking we won't go on a vacation (Disney or non-Disney) next year. These sure are scary times aren't they?

Husband lost his job a week ago, had to cancel vacation. Thank Goodness the lady I purchased the points off of for DVC is selling my points to a friend. I lost a bit of money but I am still going to get something out of it. I am not going to lie, it sucks my heart is broken.

I'm really sorry to hear that. I considered postponing our vacation until next year but I already have the airline tickets confirmed and my autistic son is really counting on this trip so we're going. We may not go next year though and just plan a big trip in 2010.

Not me! I have been waiting all summer to get down there in November. I have everything paid for except my food and tons of souveniers, but I have that money put aside already. Yeah , me and my partner are worried about the economy, but are still planning vacations. In fact we are planning the spring trip down to Disney already. We need the vacations to keep our sanity! So go and have a ton of fun. Disney is your chance to get away , escape and have fun from everyday reality.! Have a safe trip!

We made our ressie's back in Feb. for our November trip. We finally paid it off yesterday. We are not backing out now!

This is why I'm thankful I bought (and paid for) DVC a few years ago. The trip is basically paid for. We have AP's and DDE card. So other than eating and gas, and we have to eat no matter if we are home or out, it really doesn't cost us that much to go. We do look sometimes if it will be just a weekend trip to see if there are any good AP room discounts, mousesavers.com is an awesome resource, so many times we'll save our DVC points and pay to stay in a moderate or value for less than $100/night for 2 nights, but that is strictly to save points for when they are more valuable or stretch further. We're going Columbus weekend, yay 2 weeks:banana:, and this will be our 6th trip this year so far. We don't have any more planned but we may sneak one more in there this year, I'd like to see the Christmas lights, haven't in a while.

We didn't cancel, but we are planning to cut a couple days off of the trip. A week of it is rented DVC points, so no turning back now!!! As someone else said if you can take the trip do it, doing so helps the economy! I look at it as I am doing my part! :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter