Anyone concerned about the "mosquito" talk?

That is the guideline for women. For Men it is 6 months. The sexual transmission of the virus is male to female. This was the latest info we were told at the medical facility I work at on Thursday.

That is if the man actually contracts Zika, not merely visiting an area where Zika may be present.

http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2016/s0325-zika-virus-recommendations.html
http://www.cdc.gov/zika/pregnancy/thinking-about-pregnancy.html

Excerpts:
For women and men who have been diagnosed with Zika virus or who have symptoms of Zika including fever, rash, joint pain or red eyes after possible exposure to Zika virus, CDC recommends healthcare providers advise:
  • Women wait at least 8 weeks after their symptoms first appeared before trying to get pregnant.
  • Men wait at least 6 months after their symptoms first appeared to have unprotected sex.
  • In making these recommendations, we considered the longest known risk period for these categories. We then allowed for three times the known period of time.
For men and women without symptoms of Zika virus but who had possible exposure to Zika from recent travel or sexual contact, CDC recommends healthcare providers advise their patients wait at least 8 weeks after their possible exposure before trying to get pregnant in order to minimize risk.

Couples with men who have confirmed Zika or symptoms of Zika
should consider using condoms or not having sex for at least 6 months after symptoms begin. This includes men who live in and men who traveled to areas with Zika.

Couples with men who traveled to an area with Zika but did not develop symptoms of Zika
should consider using condoms or not having sex for at least 8 weeks after their return in order to minimize risk.

With the recent announcement that there has been a Zika outbreak in Florida, is anyone canceling their trips? I have a trip planed for September. I will not be cancelling it but just was wondering what other people were doing.

With the recent announcement that there has been a Zika outbreak in Florida, is anyone canceling their trips? I have a trip planed for September. I will not be cancelling it but just was wondering what other people were doing.
Merging over to the "mosquito" thread. :)

Just wanted to point out that the Miami area Zika zone is 1 square mile, located north of Downtown Miami. As of today there are 14 suspected / likely cases, up from the initial report of 4 cases. Please note this is not a Florida outbreak but a local, very local Zika zone.

Could it become a bigger outbreak, sure but you could also be struck by lightning in Florida and you are much more likely to be struck by lightning in Florida then by a Zika carrying mosquito.

Note: The reason they can use a 1 sq. mile area is the limited range of the mosquito over it's short lifetime.

Link: http://www.wptv.com/news/state/10-additional-zika-cases-likely-from-florida-mosquitoes

Dave

We have no WDW trips planned but my dad does live in southern Florida and I told him this weekend we won't be coming down this year. He was a little shocked, he didn't know it was spreading (doesn't watch the news?). But it just didn't seem like a good idea for us.

We have no WDW trips planned but my dad does live in southern Florida and I told him this weekend we won't be coming down this year. He was a little shocked, he didn't know it was spreading (doesn't watch the news?). But it just didn't seem like a good idea for us.

It's not a great idea if you are pregnant or trying to become pregnant within a very short time (6 months or less) frame of your trip. Otherwise, it probably isn't that big of a deal.

It's not a great idea if you are pregnant or trying to become pregnant within a very short time (6 months or less) frame of your trip. Otherwise, it probably isn't that big of a deal.

We are currently trying, so I've decided for the foreseeable future we will not be traveling to visit family in Florida. They can come here to see us...

We are there for Oct 28- Nov 4 and all the numbers are higher too.

Just wanted to point out that the Miami area Zika zone is 1 square mile, located north of Downtown Miami. As of today there are 14 suspected / likely cases, up from the initial report of 4 cases. Please note this is not a Florida outbreak but a local, very local Zika zone.

Could it become a bigger outbreak, sure but you could also be struck by lightning in Florida and you are much more likely to be struck by lightning in Florida then by a Zika carrying mosquito.

Note: The reason they can use a 1 sq. mile area is the limited range of the mosquito over it's short lifetime.

Link: http://www.wptv.com/news/state/10-additional-zika-cases-likely-from-florida-mosquitoes

Dave

1 square mile now, sure. But, look how quickly it moved from Brazil to the US. And, in Brazil it reached pandemic levels.

To believe that the virus will be contained to 1 square mile, or even 10 square miles, is a little silly. It's not that it COULD become a bigger outbreak; it WILL become a bigger outbreak. The WHO said that the virus would spread throughout most of the Western hemisphere by the end of this year. So, looking at it that way....depending on when someone is planning to go...it may not matter whether they are home or in Florida, because it will be everywhere.

I understand the whole "more likely to be struck by lightning" analogy. I do. But frankly...if it's lightning out, I stay indoors. My dog has to hold it, that's all there is to it. That said, I am willing to take a risk on myself. If I have an unborn child in the mix, it makes it much harder for me to say, "Eh, I'm more likely to get hit by a train. I think I'll be fine."

I don't think I've ever noticed the mosquitoes; maybe if you were staying at the Wilderness Lodge or Campground.

1 square mile now, sure. But, look how quickly it moved from Brazil to the US. And, in Brazil it reached pandemic levels.

This is my main concern. With the Olympics happening next week, so many people will be traveling there and possibly bringing it back and spreading it all over the world.

This is my main concern. With the Olympics happening next week, so many people will be traveling there and possibly bringing it back and spreading it all over the world.

We just came back and I'll admit it crossed my mind when seeing the Brazilian tour groups, that someone in the group could have Zika, not know, and pass it on. If a mosquito bites an infected person and then another, they can be infected as well. I'm way past the point of worrying about pregnancy, but I have a compromised immune system and have been following the news. We'll head back to our other home in October with loads of repellent.

Don;t worry.. after the Olympics zika will spread all across the globe. Apparently if a mosquito bites someone who has been infected they then get the disease and can spread it. You just KNOW that a percent of folks in RIO will get bitten. Soon it won't matter if you are in FL or NY...

Sorry but this just shows a poor grasp of what is currently known about Zika transmission and the reason why it's important to stay informed.

Not a very useful response. Perhaps you know more than the CDC?

Here is a direct quote from CDC Director Tom Frieden:
"It is likely but not possible to establish that the first local transmission involved a mosquito biting someone who had contracted Zika while traveling abroad, and that insect then spreading the virus to others in the area."

Laughable that news is stating confined to one square mile, it is going to spread to other parts of Florida and will soon. Am I concerned no, I would be concerned if I was trying to become pregnant though.

From this article:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...new-zika-cases-a-travel-advisory-is-expected/

At the present time, there is no need for the travel advisory to be broader than this specific Zika-affected area, CDC Director Tom Frieden said. Unlike other mosquito-borne diseases that can be spread by humans and animals, there are no other animal reservoirs for the Zika virus other than infected humans. The virus spreads most easily in crowded settings where people don't have access to air condition or window screens, and where there are large numbers of Aedes aegypti mosquitoes.

In addition, the mosquito can only travel about about 150 yards during its lifetime, he said.

So, just to be clear, the reported cases of locally acquired Zika are approx. 220 miles from central Florida and the average mosquito will travel about nine-hundredths of a mile in its lifetime. There is a risk it will spread in Florida. BUT the counties in Florida have a much better program to contain and detract mosquitoes than the nonexistent program in Brazil.

From this article:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...new-zika-cases-a-travel-advisory-is-expected/

So, just to be clear, the reported cases of locally acquired Zika are approx. 220 miles from central Florida and the average mosquito will travel about nine-hundredths of a mile in its lifetime. There is a risk it will spread in Florida. BUT the counties in Florida have a much better program to contain and detract mosquitoes than the nonexistent program in Brazil.

Absolutely true, but the fear isn't so much the infected mosquitoes traveling so much as the infected PEOPLE traveling and then getting bitten and infecting mosquitoes in a new location. Particularly when 6 of the 10 new cases reported Monday were asymptomatic. Here is a map of where the particular variety is known to live. They are also investigating other varieties as well.

Aedes2016US.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter