• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone considering cancelling Disney buffets because of Corona virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

True. I usually travel with family and we go in shifts.
And I think if the majority of people start thinking this way and are up and down at buffets getting multiple plates of food, that’s multiple trips to the washroom. The washroom floor near the sinks (and around the sink) are going to become a cesspool of water. Yuck. Hope they hire more washroom attendants.

Frankly, I’ll be wearing an N95 mask this week at Disney. I know the geniuses say it doesn’t do anything, however my inner genius says a disease that spreads through aerosolized droplets might have a more difficult time getting in one’s nasal and oral cavities if one covers them. Maybe that’s just me.

I hate buffets in general because it is crazy how many people don’t wash their hands after using the restroom. I’ve also see plenty of people just pick food up with their hands...gross. And from a food safety standpoint, dishes may not be held at the correct temperature to stop food poisoning. I always make my family clean their hands after going through a buffet. Regular hand sanitizier is not effective against Norovirus though.

Frankly, I’ll be wearing an N95 mask this week at Disney. I know the geniuses say it doesn’t do anything, however my inner genius says a disease that spreads through aerosolized droplets might have a more difficult time getting in one’s nasal and oral cavities if one covers them. Maybe that’s just me.

The reason that they tell people not to wear masks, is that in most situations, you are no safer with one that without one. However, people that have the virus should wear them, and people in healthcare and caring for people with the virus should wear them because of their higher risk of exposure. There is a shortage of masks due to people wearing them that do not need to. Please do not jeopardize the health of people that are legitimately at risk by taking masks that they need and you do not.

Listen to those "geniuses." They know what they are talking about and have mountains of research backing up what they are saying. An n95 mask does little to nothing in a setting like Disney. Your highest chance of infection in this situation is hand to mucus membrane transfer and the best preventative for that is frequent hand washing. In order to breathe one of those droplets before it hit the ground, someone would essentially have to sneeze or cough right in your face.

If you want to discuss the virus there are threads in the community board.
let’s stick to restaurant topics here

Not just you.

We haven't done a buffet in years at WDW.

Way too many unsupervised (or even supervised) kids running up to the buffet, and grabbing/digging through several different things (rolls, etc) with their hands before finding the one they want.

Kids coughing/sneezing under the shield...etc.
Same here yuk everyone pawing all over it corona or not i cannot eat at those places

Buffets are gross. And even grosser at a place like Disney or a Disney cruise with little ones going unsupervised and getting food with hands that just came out of their noses. Eww. Last year on the Disney dream, we had kids literally vomit all over the place in the dining area and then head to get some food. And kids holding ice cream cones vomiting all over the pool deck. Gross. So yeah, skipping them for sure!

We don’t go to any buffets because of hygiene issues. We have seen more fingers in food than we can count at just salad bars. If we want an AYCTE experience we go someplace that serves it family style to just our family (and we all wash before partaking). So Coronavirus hasn’t changed our stance on buffets.

don't forget your tinfoil hat 🙃

Those who are immunocompromised are advised to avoid buffets, salad bars, etc. even when we are not on the brink of a coronavirus pandemic. Buffets are always risky when it comes to stomach bugs and food poisoning. It doesn’t seem like eating at a buffet would put you at a higher risk of contracting coronavirus, though (at least not any higher than the risk you undertake by being at a crowded theme park in the first place).

Re: the N95, I work in health care and I can tell you that if you aren’t properly fitted for the mask (we are fit tested once a year), it’s ineffective. And if it does fit correctly, with a complete seal, it’s very uncomfortable and would make a Disney trip miserable, IMO.

I’m concerned about so many people touching those handles in the buffet. There is an increased risk of transmission from that. I would feel better if Disney employees put it on your plate or some type of precaution.

Here’s how to handle it. Once you get your food, make sure that you don’t touch your food with your hands, so the food itself isn’t compromised and your hands don’t touch your face.

Eat with knife and fork.

People on another thread are wondering why the bread is gone from table service; it’s most likely this exact issue. People eat bread with their hands.

So use your fork to eat that Mickey waffle and pastry. No finger food.

And that way you don’t have to worry at all about what was on the handles.

We haven't done a buffet in years at WDW.

Way too many unsupervised (or even supervised) kids running up to the buffet, and grabbing/digging through several different things (rolls, etc) with their hands before finding the one they want.

Kids coughing/sneezing under the shield...etc.

I *have* done buffets over the years, and have never seen anything like what you’ve seen years ago.

And if you saw something like that, my gosh- tell a CM!!

Handwashing is more effective and all of the restaurants have restrooms.

Yes, but that’s not really a good use of time. At the wave you have to leave the restaurant entirely. And then your nice plate of food grows cold.

Just...don’t touch your face. And don’t touch your food with your hands.

And yes, it's hilarious to me watching the same American population that refuses to vaccinate their kids or themselves, never wash their hands, think body spray is a substitute for showering, among other questionable practices suddenly lose their minds because everyone on TV is yelling about the impending zombie apocalypse.

If funny that you think those groups collide. Trust me. Those of us who let our immune systems work on their own are NOT the ones buying up sanitizer.

And we definitely know about hand washing.

Don’t know what you’re on about with the body spray thing.

People will stay away from you since they’ll think YOU are sick, that’s for sure.

Not sure how you’ll eat.

Last year on the Disney dream, we had kids literally vomit all over the place in the dining area and then head to get some food. And kids holding ice cream cones vomiting all over the pool deck.

Gracious. What did all the CMs say after you told them of the rampant vomiting??? I assume all food operations were shut down immediately?

Re: the N95, I work in health care and I can tell you that if you aren’t properly fitted for the mask (we are fit tested once a year), it’s ineffective. And if it does fit correctly, with a complete seal, it’s very uncomfortable and would make a Disney trip miserable, IMO.

Agreed. Especially uncomfortable without being able to eat.

@bumbershoot like I said before, I work in local government, and my agency has been on the frontlines of this panic since it started. They are absolutely the same people. You may not believe that, but you also wouldn’t believe the reports I’m seeing 5-6 times a day about why people are upset. Half the time I don’t. The last week has been utterly insane. It’s why I’ve been preaching calm tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter