Anyone else already nursing sick kids after *just* starting school?

For me, personally, I didn't want to give it to my kids, who have not yet had it. That's why I tested until negative. I know most people don't bother with that.
They say you can test positive long after you are contagious. It was a real problem back in the day getting folks back to work and school, my son’s friend missed an entire track season before they started the certificate of recovery.

They say you can test positive long after you are contagious. It was a real problem back in the day getting folks back to work and school, my son’s friend missed an entire track season before they started the certificate of recovery.
Once you are positive with covid it's not recommended to use PCR tests to "test out" because of the sensitivity. PCR is good for initial diagnosis though due to that sensitivity.

That said it's recommended to do serial testing with rapid for the purposes of testing out.

Poor kid! The drawn-out testing positive happened to a friend of DH's who had it pretty early on too.

I don't think that schools follow good hygiene habits. Many times the kids go straight to lunch from class without being able to go and wash their hands. So they are touching who knows what for hours and then they go and touch their food. Every class should have a hand washing station and kids(and adults) should wash their hands often. And NO ONE should ever touch food without first washing their hands. That would stop a lot of illnesses.

I can’t speak for New Mexico but Georgia schools have been in session for nearly a month already which is probably plenty of time to get a surge going.

On a bit of a tangent here, but I find the current (CDC?) recommendations to be frustrating. The policy for my son, told to me by the pediatrician and the county board of health, was that he needed to quarantine for days 1-5 after testing positive, then he could return to school as long as he wore a mask for days 6-10. I asked how long he would be contagious and was told “10 days.” I blurted out, “They’re allowed back while they’re still contagious?! No wonder he has Covid!” and the doctor replied, “I know.” Ridiculous. How well do you think pre-K and kindergartners are keeping masks on their faces, not to mention they would have to take them off three times a day to eat anyway. What genius came up with this policy?

FTR, my son has been too sick to return to school yet, so he will be well past the contagious period by the time he does. To my knowledge, the school never even notified other parents about the exposure. :sad2:
My kids school is back to the “fever free without meds and no Gi symptoms for 24 hours” for any illness including covid. So kids are allowed back before day 6. And they wonder why 1/3 of one grade got it within the first 1 1/2 weeks of school (50 kids per grade at our school)🙄

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter