Anyone else coping with a last minute injury before Marathon weekend?

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
Maybe it's just "misery loves company" that makes me post this, but DH really messed up his heel on Christmas day and is really hoping he can still run the half-marathon. If he were younger, he'd have a better chance of recovery, but in your 60s, things improve more slowly. He's using ice regularly. I thought I read that he should use ibuprofen, even though there's not much discomfort if he keeps off it. Any other tips? Anyone else want to have company in misery?

Rest, ice, and an anti-inflammatory would probably be helpful. Tough to say much more than that without knowing exactly how his heel is messed up.

Maybe it's just "misery loves company" that makes me post this, but DH really messed up his heel on Christmas day and is really hoping he can still run the half-marathon. If he were younger, he'd have a better chance of recovery, but in your 60s, things improve more slowly. He's using ice regularly. I thought I read that he should use ibuprofen, even though there's not much discomfort if he keeps off it. Any other tips? Anyone else want to have company in misery?

When I started running again at Thanksgiving post-marathon, I had a nagging pain in my knee that worsened over time. Did two weeks of PT that didn't really help and saw an ortho just before Christmas. Patellofemoral chondromalacia. Got a higher powered anti-inflammatory and have been stretching and strengthening and icing multiple times a day. Got a 4 miler in walking on Monday and a 5 miler with a 1:00/2:00 run/walk today with minor discomfort. I'll try a more aggressive ratio on Friday, but needless to say my Dopey training has been shot to pieces.

TL;DR, you're not alone in late breaking injuries. Good luck!

A couple of years ago, I had a calf strain before the Rocket City Marathon. I couldn't run more than a couple of miles without it knotting up.

I had multiple massages to loosen/heal it. Massage may not work for a heel, unless its really plantar fasciitis or an Achilles problem.

The good news is ice, rest, massage, elevation can rarely do any harm. (Well except for the time I used a giant ice wrap directly on my knee. 15 minutes later I'm googling 'what does frostbite look like?')

I started training for the 5k in May (I'm out of shape and signed up for some encouragement). I did the run/walk method. Not bad but each day I got a nagging pain in my knee. That day and the next I would be hobbled but the day after that I was fine and would run/walk again. After about 2 weeks I tried a brace and I went out with an already sore knee. I was limping as I walked. When I started running I was near tears. I forced myself to finish the workout but when I got home I could barely get up the stairs. I iced, heated, massaged, elevated, whatever. Nothing. I went to a physical therapist for a month. They assumed torn meniscus. Started getting better. Started the workout again. Day one, great. Day two, pain is back. PT recommends an orthopedist. X-Ray, nothing. MRI..."stress fracture. This rarely happens by running. Did you do anything else that could've caused this?" Couldn't remember. Next day it hit me! I fell on the ice last winter. Landed knee first & could barely move. Limped for a while after. Thought it healed ok. Apparently not. Stress fracture is still there today and is not healing. Got fitted for a custom brace about a month ago. Still little progress. Gonna miss the 5k. I'm probably out some money. I'd be happy if I could just do anything without the knee pain.

At this point I would say he should stay off of it completely and plan on some sort of interval similar to what @camaker mentioned. I hope he's feeling better soon!

I am also in the same boat. I messed up my hip, not sure what exactly I did, but trying to get into the doctor on Monday to have it looked at. I'll start the half marathon on Saturday and hope for the best.

I'm currently sitting in urgent care awaiting the results of an X-ray on my wrist. I landed on it really hard a few days ago after slipping on ice. Hoping I don't have to run Dopey in a cast, but at least I'll still be able to run.

I am also in the same boat. I messed up my hip, not sure what exactly I did, but trying to get into the doctor on Monday to have it looked at. I'll start the half marathon on Saturday and hope for the best.

Good luck to you-I know what a lousy feeling it is. At least he won't be the only one at the starting line on Saturday popping Ibuprofen and just hoping "PLEASE let me get through this!" Coral H, if you need some ibuprofen. And as of today there's rain predicted. Yech!

Good luck to you-I know what a lousy feeling it is. At least he won't be the only one at the starting line on Saturday popping Ibuprofen and just hoping "PLEASE let me get through this!" Coral H, if you need some ibuprofen. And as of today there's rain predicted. Yech!

Please do not let him use Ibuprofen before the race. NSAIDs can be very dangerous and harmful when taken before strenuous exercise. If he must take some sort of pain reliever, which I caution against, Tylenol is a much safer choice.

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely recommend tylenol, since I have a feeling that suggesting he take nothing, tho I understand, will be ignored.

I'm currently sitting in urgent care awaiting the results of an X-ray on my wrist. I landed on it really hard a few days ago after slipping on ice. Hoping I don't have to run Dopey in a cast, but at least I'll still be able to run.

Hope everything worked out okay and that you didn't become a cast member.

I went to the doctor and they say it is hip bursitis and gave me an anti inflammatory injection. Walking has improved a bit, but still can't really run, so am very nervous to do this on Saturday. I'm in corral J, so a little behind you, but hoping I can hobble through it in the rain.

I hurt my knee in my last long run before the half last year (about 4 weeks out), and then rolled my ankle the week before playing basketball. Taped the knee, and just rested the ankle. Didn't even notice them until about mile 10 or 11, and I was far enough away from any risk of sweeping that I was able to take it real easy to the finish.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter