Anyone else enjoy rain in the parks?

Rainy, every day for 6+ hours a day so you rarely see a blue patch of sky and live in ponchos? (Like my early July 2013).... That wasn't the most fun I've had.

Night time rain on Christmas Eve, so the crowd clears out of MK during one of its busiest days and I only take 13 minutes to get on 7DMT at 10:30p.., Yes, Please :)

Thanksgiving week and rode Everest (Safari was closed too much mud!) in the rain we laughed the whole time. A mix of Crazy & Good - raindrops at that speed are something pretty crazy but saying we did it was one of my son's favorite moments. "No wimps here even mom got pelted!". And no Poncho is going to stay on your head!

I would prefer that every day be 80 degrees and sunny, but a nice warm rain can be fun if you are in the right frame of mind. I have even had a blast when the rain lasted for days - it was warm and the parks were EMPTY. I hate cold rain and that would effect my fun.

I like the occasional rainy day. I won't melt and it thins down the crowd. Now I might get tired of it if I was really cold or it lasted more than a day but so far so good. One of my best memories was when I was solo at the MK and eating my first and only Dole whip (back when I could still have dairy and pineapple). I was walking around eating it in a poncho and keeping it up close so it would be under the brim of my hat which I was wearing outside of the poncho so the hood wouldn't fall off. I probably looked ridiculous but it was early evening but still a little light out, MK was practically deserted and Adventure Land/ Liberty Square was just awash in twilight, and the rain was just a soft drizzle, and I just took it all in. Somehow I think the Dole Whip tasted better for the setting.

Last edited:
Absolutely hate it. I've been to Disney World about 8 times give or take and it has only rained once, but on that trip it rained three out of our four days and it was fairly miserable. Yes, we tried to make the best of it, but it was the worst trip of all.

Tips are to have ponchos (they won't keep all the water out though) and carry a change of shoes /socks with you. Try to go to a park that has a lot of indoor stuff .

I like the occasional rainy day. I won't melt and it thins down the crowd. Now I might get tired of it if I was really cold or it lasted more than a day but so far so good. One of my best memories was when I was solo at the MK and eating my first and only Dole whip (back when I could still have dairy). I was walking around eating it in a poncho and keeping it up close so it would be under the brim of my hat which I was wearing outside of the poncho so the hood wouldn't fall off. I probably looked ridiculous but it was early evening but still a little light out, MK was practically deserted and Adventure Land/ Liberty Square was just awash in twilight, and the rain was just a soft drizzle, and I just took it all in. Somehow I think the Dole Whip tasted better for the setting.
Dole whip is non dairy :)
http://precisionfoods.com/foodservice/product_detail.cfm?wpCatId=52568&skuId=2324876
(Linked to from http://www.dole.com/Company-Info/FAQ/DOLE-Soft-Serve

^just the pineapple flavor
http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Dole_Whip
"As of 2013, the original pineapple, and orange Dole Whip flavors are now dairy-free and no longer contains sodium caseinate, making them a vegan-friendly dessert. However, the Vanilla flavor still contains sodium caseinate, and should not be consumed by vegans or anyone with an allergy to casein."

Last edited:

Dole whip is non dairy :)
http://precisionfoods.com/foodservice/product_detail.cfm?wpCatId=52568&skuId=2324876
(Linked to from http://www.dole.com/Company-Info/FAQ/DOLE-Soft-Serve

^just the pineapple flavor
http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Dole_Whip
"As of 2013, the original pineapple, and orange Dole Whip flavors are now dairy-free and no longer contains sodium caseinate, making them a vegan-friendly dessert. However, the Vanilla flavor still contains sodium caseinate, and should not be consumed by vegans or anyone with an allergy to casein."

Meant to write Pineapple. I'm allergic to both. I think the Orange is the only flavor I can have.

I just finally got to read all your replies and they definitely made me smile. Everest in a pouring rain? Now that would be fun!

We had one wash out trip and I still enjoyed every minute of it! I am easy to please, though. I am at WDW...that is all I need! We have been there in freezing, boiling, crazy humidity, wash out weeks, and everything in between. The weather has never been an impact on how my vacation plays out :)

Rain? Schmain! Keep on going. I must admit though, I mean rain at a warm temperature. Not 50 degrees. We have taken many summer trips where it rains for a little while every day. That doesn't bother me at all. One reason why I wear sandals and not tennis shoes and socks. And no ponchos please. Just go with it.

I don't mind the afternoon showers in the summer. BUT, we were there in 2012 during Tropical Storm Debbie and that was bearable the 1st day because we just arrived. Day 2 was like - OK it'll stop soon. Day 3 - Can it still be raining? Day 4 - REALLY???? It finally cleared out for the last 3 days or so, but by then, everything we had was wet - dried the clothes in the resort dryers, but our sneakers were bad!!!! Completely wet and stinky and nowhere to dry them - they had signs in the laundry rooms that said NO SNEAKERS IN DRYERS! We still had fun, but the rain that trip was just miserable - and I stayed cold most of the week because of the AC.

The last MNSSHP I went to had pouring down rain... I loved it. I met every single character out in the park, plus rode all the rides open. How many times do you get to meet Jack and Sally with a ten minute wait? Or the 7 dwarves with a 5 minute wait? It was fabulous. My pirate hat feather was looking a bit sad by the end of the night though lol

Warm rain, yes, cold rain, no. And I wouldn't be too happy even in a warm rain if I got wet enough my moleskin was coming loose, but we stay in a condo with our own washer and dryer, and most of my crew wears crocs or flops or other easy-to-dry shoes, while the ones who don't usually have a couple pair of shoes (or are fine with new shoes on a trip -- SHUDDER), so wet shoes have never been a major issue.

Don't think I'd be thrilled if it was pouring rain day after day, either. But a couple of days when it's warm, we're good. Cold rain in January, not so much.

Nope, didn't enjoy the parks in the rain. I was there the last week of September until the first week of October for F&W; it rained the entire first week I was there and then partially the first week in October, then I was offsite for a week the rest of my trip. I tried to be a trooper but like PP have said, soggy shoes and socks, wet jeans, air conditioned buses then out in the humidity and inevitably more rain . I was so irritable, which was a shame considering where I was. On a positive note, I did admire the fortitude of those and of parents with small children in strollers with make shift or custom covers determined not to let the rain stop their touring the parks.

My 10 year old daughter and I got to spend the day together at MK last week. We poncho-ed up, held strong and after everyone left, we rode the rides with little wait. But I love the look of Main Street, The Castle, etc in the rain. I just think it's beautiful. Then we rode the People Mover and got to film all of Tomorrowland while it was raining. But most importantly, me and my little princess laughed our heads off and just had a wet, magical day. She's an amazing, fun kid. But she's growing fast. Hoping to book again for next October. Gotsta enjoy that young-un while she still loves Disney!! But - to my main point - I really do enjoy an afternoon of showers while at WDW. NOT EVERY DAY!! Just a day or two! Anyone else???
Enjoy the rain? No...not at all

We do our best to adapt and deal with it, but there are just some things that really, really suck when it rains.....like standing in line to check into Akershus.

trap.jpg

We had fun wading through the rain looking for Nemo, and getting to ride Space Mountain over and over after the crowds died down, but have to agree that the temp makes a difference! We are often the crazy family out jumping in the puddles and having a blast! My daughter and I still laugh about it when it rains at home..."Oh Nemo, where are you?" :umbrella:

The husband and I went in July and most days had afternoon showers - and I actually preferred it, because it lowered the temperature slightly. Plus, during a small shower, we walked on to Big Thunder Railroad. :crazy:

I don't mind a little rain; but we have been there for two tropical storms. It was our 4th trip before we saw the normal afternoon short shower that comes and goes. But we went sockless, I had a poncho and the children had rain coats. It was June so it helped with the heat too.
Like a previous poster we were there for Tropical Storm Debby and it sat over us for a long time. I think it rained 4 days. If we had not been there for a 10 day trip I would have been really disappointed. For the next two months every time it rained my 2 year-old asked if we had gone back to Disney.

When the storm was over, the heat hit us really hard. We were so excited; but ended up bailing on our AK day 2.5 hours earlier than planned. But we had an amazing afternoon in the pool. I was sick of that poncho after a couple of days. They just aren’t meant to be worn for days on end. If it’s raining I’d prefer it without the wind; but after surviving Tropical Storm Debby in 2012, Tropical Storm Andrea in 2013 felt like a sprinkle.
Weather wise though my favorite was our first trip in November 2010. It rained on two different days of the 6 we were there. One day for an hour while we were eating in a restaurant and another off and on during the day; but there wasn’t a lot of wind so our faces didn’t get wet. Plus the temperatures were comfortable. This last trip with the normal afternoon showers was nice too.
We have experienced wet magic.
In one morning during Tropical Storm Debby, we went to Adventure Land and met the Fairies, Ariel and Eric and Aladdin and Jasmine in under an hour. Each of those lines back then was usually 40 plus minutes.
This last trip it rained while we were in AK and that morning we had ridden the Safari and the driver mentioned rain was predicted and to be sure to try to ride it again after. It rained during the parade and once the parade was over I put ds in the stroller and we sprinted for the Safari entrance. She was right. Best Safari ever. Animals within 4 feet of the vehicle, lions roaring and running around, even the lazy adult male. It was awesome.

Thinking about Thanksgiving week again this year because even though we had the biggest crowds, the weather was great.
My children did enjoy splashing in the puddles. They took turns splashing me in 2012. One day there was this humongous puddle at MK. I mean huge. A lot of people were walking through it and my daughter decided to as well since she wasn’t wearing any socks. The thing was so deep her flip flop came off and she was laughing so hard it was difficult for her to retrieve it. My son (then 2) said, “Sister shoe a boat,” and we just lost it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter