• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone else feel this way regarding your kids and Disney?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our oldest is 22 and our youngest is 7. We have 2 more in the "middle". Our oldest has been to WDW twenty times, several cruises, and numerous other vacations. When she was around 16 she decided she was sick of Disney. I was heartbroken but my dh was ready to throw a party!!! I used to think vacation meant Disney and nothing else. I laugh now as we have discovered so many places that we enjoy and have made some great memories doing other things. I think all kids enter an age that they seem less appreciative and feel entitled but its just a phase. Our oldest is now a hard working, productive member of society. She is very responsible and takes nothing for granted. As a family we love to travel and she joins us whenever possible. I don't quite understand your opinion of deluxe versus value resorts. We've stayed at every resort but 2 and have had some of the best service at the least expensive resorts. Our kids love the moderate/values so much that beg to return. Come on, the value and moderates are so much fun and geared for children. I don't think our youngest girls even know they have different levels of resorts. We've never discussed the price with them and I really don't think, like most children, that they would really care.

Our oldest is 22 and our youngest is 7. We have 2 more in the "middle". Our oldest has been to WDW twenty times, several cruises, and numerous other vacations. When she was around 16 she decided she was sick of Disney. I was heartbroken but my dh was ready to throw a party!!! I used to think vacation meant Disney and nothing else. I laugh now as we have discovered so many places that we enjoy and have made some great memories doing other things. I think all kids enter an age that they seem less appreciative and feel entitled but its just a phase. Our oldest is now a hard working, productive member of society. She is very responsible and takes nothing for granted. As a family we love to travel and she joins us whenever possible. I don't quite understand your opinion of deluxe versus value resorts. We've stayed at every resort but 2 and have had some of the best service at the least expensive resorts. Our kids love the moderate/values so much that beg to return. Come on, the value and moderates are so much fun and geared for children. I don't think our youngest girls even know they have different levels of resorts. We've never discussed the price with them and I really don't think, like most children, that they would really care.
It very well could be just a phase.

Good Lord. She does not pay for anything with Disney. What is your next answer going to be? What can you think up next?
You're the one that is complaining and then coming up with excuses for solutions so as I said don't take any of my suggestions and do what you want.
Seems like all you wanted everyone to just say they feel for you and move on. Sorry I didn't do what you wanted.
Enjoy your upcoming trip with your family.

Not really. My DD sees how hard we work to save for those trips, mostly spaced out with 2 or 3 years in between. She remembers staying value and then sacrificing for 3 years to stay Deluxe after that. She doesn't take our trips for granted at all.

Your idea to stay at Pop Century is genius.

Not really. My DD sees how hard we work to save for those trips, mostly spaced out with 2 or 3 years in between. She remembers staying value and then sacrificing for 3 years to stay Deluxe after that. She doesn't take our trips for granted at all.

Your idea to stay at Pop Century is genius.
Thank you. I think it might be a great idea as well.

I'm sorry your thread went the way it did, but that's what happens when you ask people who don't know you well questions like that. :sad1:

Anyway, have you considered letting her help you plan and decide on things she really wants to do? Characters she wants to meet? A restaurant she wants to eat at? Go shopping at Disney Springs? Things like this. If she's acting entitled as you say have you let it go on previously and never checked her on it. I only ask, because I've done it...checked a family member on it or the child of a really close friend when it needed to be done. And if you've gone to Disney yearly, could she simply just be done with it? Or maybe is it not as fun as it was in the beginning? I've been to Disney 7 times in my life....the 8th time is coming in June and I'm in my late 40s. I only went ONCE as a child....I was 17 and it was a pre-graduation present from my mom and dad. My son has been to Disney more as a child than me...but that is something I've worked hard to do! :tongue: His first trip was at 3, his next was at 7, and the next will be what he is now....11!

Please hear me out on this next thing and understand I'm not trying to be rude....you're the one paying for it and not her.....I get it. But....if YOU are the one planning all of it and YOU are the one paying for it....then it sounds like the trip is more for you. Do you see where I'm coming from? I know at 14 years old, she can't contribute to the trip financially, but she can very well step in and help mom plan some of it. :D I was going to surprise my 11 year old with the trip and tell him when he got out of school in May, but a friend accidentally told him so now he knows. I was SO upset about it, but now that he does know, I'm glad! :cool1: We've discussed the rides we're going to do, the characters he wants to meet and HE picked the resort we're staying at! We have a kosher diet, so I've discussed the two restaurants we'll be visiting offisite and I told him HE gets to pick what he wants to eat. We don't eat out because of our diet, because where we are kosher restaurants are null and void. So I want to make sure my son has the opportunity to contribute to this trip as much as possible since he can't financially. Am I making sense still?

If you think staying at Pop will bring your daughter back down to reality, then by all means do so! But also talk to her and find out what's going on and what can be done to fix it. BEST OF LUCK NO MATTER WHAT! :thumbsup2

Last edited:
We don’t go to Disney all the time but I worry about spoiling my kids too. For our trip we had a garage sale a few weeks before and told the kids whatever they sell of their own stuff we’ll keep that money for Disney souvenirs. Our 6yo got right on board! And ended up w like $60. And a slightly less cluttered room.

So maybe start showing your 14yo the planning process, budgeting, how you save for the trips, how you manage to do a deluxe resort trip every year. Maybe she’ll help w the planning and take the baton when she’s older. Does she want to save up for something special?

Wow - selective replys - I guess I will delete my unread unanswered response even though I took a day or two to think out the OP' situation -

You get what you expect to get I guess !

Wow - selective replys - I guess I will delete my unread unanswered response even though I took a day or two to think out the OP' situation -

A bit dramatic with the time you thought about what to say lol but I get your point.
OP should have focused on what was a well thought out post by you instead of back and forthing with me.

We always stayed at All star and my children loved it. Recently we started to stay off property at 2bedroom villas and now kids don't want a "normal hotel" how quickly they can be spoiled. Unfortuntely so am I and I don't want to go back to that tiny living space, but we haven't stayed on property at a DVC big resort that would really spoil them. Good luck and have fun

So, you have a time machine? There were not even 12 hours between the OP's first post and your last reply; how, exactly, were you able to take "a day or two" to think out your reply?

Selective replying is pretty common on the DIS - annoying, but you just have to expect it.

No, believe me, she loves it. The oldest one, yes, she is bored of it. Or at least of going with US. But the youngest one, she loves it. She is a mini me.

Ah, okay - I got confused by who was who in your OP.

From reading the rest of the thread, it seems that you have it solved and need/want help or advice. Enjoy your trip.

Me and my husband have two girls, one that is not real thrilled to go to Disney anymore WITH US, and the other who I will probably never get to go on a Disney trip without her, but if I did I might feel real guilty the whole time.

But the other one, the youngest, I feel like she really doesn't understand the value of getting to go because since she was born, it has been an on-going trip. Every year or every other year. And now twice to the Grand Caymans in one year (but that was a different story there). But I feel like she really doesn't appreciate it because of my love of going and going so much. I think she may feel entitled, like is just no big deal, I am just not sure.

I don't think she, well I know she can't ever remember us staying in the Value hotels because she was just a baby then. I ought to switch out our one night stay at Port Orleans back to Pop Century just to see how she would react to not staying in a Deluxe or Moderate resort. I wish I would have though of that earlier now. When I was growing up, we never took not one vacation. Not one.

Teens are tough, so good luck navigating these years.:flower3: I would say that if you go all the time, that doesn't necessarily make her spoiled or unappreciative. It makes it HER norm. It isn't a big deal to her because you go so often. It is a huge deal for you because of your own vacation history. Staying in a Value resort won't make her appreciate the trip because she still gets to go. I've stayed in them all and we actually like Pop. lol What are you going to do if she loves it? Perhaps they need a break. Time away may give her time to miss it. If you tell her that many kids and adults never ever get to go, it might just go in one ear and out the other because you keep going. Best of luck in figuring it out.

So, you have a time machine? There were not even 12 hours between the OP's first post and your last reply; how, exactly, were you able to take "a day or two" to think out your reply?

Selective replying is pretty common on the DIS - annoying, but you just have to expect it.

Your right - I am better off sticking to the planning type posts/issues.

and it seemed like days... sorry for the hyperbole :)

Less then 4 hours from the thread started to their response. Less then 4 hours later the response is deleted because they didn't get a response. :rotfl:

I don't find it annoying when an OP doesn't reply personally to a post. I just figure they've read it and they've got nothing to say. :)

Me and my husband have two girls, one that is not real thrilled to go to Disney anymore WITH US, and the other who I will probably never get to go on a Disney trip without her, but if I did I might feel real guilty the whole time.

But the other one, the youngest, I feel like she really doesn't understand the value of getting to go because since she was born, it has been an on-going trip. Every year or every other year. And now twice to the Grand Caymans in one year (but that was a different story there). But I feel like she really doesn't appreciate it because of my love of going and going so much. I think she may feel entitled, like is just no big deal, I am just not sure.

I don't think she, well I know she can't ever remember us staying in the Value hotels because she was just a baby then. I ought to switch out our one night stay at Port Orleans back to Pop Century just to see how she would react to not staying in a Deluxe or Moderate resort. I wish I would have though of that earlier now. When I was growing up, we never took not one vacation. Not one.

Your daughter doesn't sound entitled to me, just privileged. She would sound entitled to me if she demanded to stay at a Deluxe instead of a value despite you saying that you needed to save money.

Less then 4 hours from the thread started to their response. Less then 4 hours later the response is deleted because they didn't get a response. :rotfl:

I don't find it annoying when an OP doesn't reply personally to a post. I just figure they've read it and they've got nothing to say. :)

OT - but again I agree - my issue was the # of responses of the OP without regard to some new posts (not just mine) - yes this is my issue for sure!
Not my best but fwiw I have never deleted / completely edited a post before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter