• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone else find AKL sort of depressing?

If I remember correctly from Starlight Safari this past January, the keepers get concerned when they are unable to coax animals who have been unwell back to the barns. Many animals go days without returning to the barn. They do take precautions for temperatures under 40 for those animal from warmer climates by using their calls and cues to return to barn. Disney has also rescued animals in addition to aiding breeding programs.

I'm a huge animal advocate, vegetarian, bleeding heart and I normally do not like zoos, etc but I LOVE AKL and dont find it depressing at all.

We did the midnight safari last month with the caretakers and these animals have it great compared to the wild. Something our guide told us really stuck with me... one of the other guests commented on how the giraffes were "laying down" (it's more like sitting/kneeling, they weren't actually laying flat on the ground or anything) and she told us that in the wild giraffes dont normally do this because of predators and always being on alert. Struck me as a good indicator of how safe and well cared for they are...and a little sad for giraffes in the wild that they dont lay down for fear.

I can see how some might look over the savannas at the resort and think it is sparse (I giggle at the AKL commercials because it shows WAY more animals than they actually have) but that is because they arent cramming tons of animals on the savanna, which I think is a good thing! I think sometimes we humans value freedom far more than animals. Freedom in the wild can be a dangerous, hard, and rough life a lot of the time. The animals at AKL seem very well cared for from what I have seen.

The animals are allowed to roam at night. I know this because I purposely stayed up until 3-3:30 am-ish just transfixed by all of the animal activity. Some of them just took a nap almost right underneath our hotel room.
Seeing the animals late at night was probably one of my favorite parts. Them just wandering around the savannah, sleeping under trees, etc. under the moonlight, just like they would in the wild. It's kinda magical and it's absolutely something you can't see anywhere else in the US I'd imagine, and DEFINITELY not at any "urban zoo."

Seeing the animals late at night was probably one of my favorite parts. Them just wandering around the savannah, sleeping under trees, etc. under the moonlight, just like they would in the wild. It's kinda magical and it's absolutely something you can't see anywhere else in the US I'd imagine, and DEFINITELY not at any "urban zoo."

I totally agree! It was so serene, quiet, and wonderful. In the early evening during our stay, it started to rain and there were a few animals just standing there out in the summer Orlando rain, looking like they had hardly a care in the world.

The only depressing part is when you realize that you have been sitting at the bus stop for 40 mins waiting on a bus.

No, but I understand people who feel that way about animals in captivity.

I would say I get the OPs vibe slightly as its really weird to look across the Savanna and see another part of the hotel. Unlike the park it doesn't seem as "wild". Not much Disney could do though unless they build the whole resort in a straight line which would not be very efficient.

This is on the grounds prone of the resorts we stayed at in Kenya. The animal were free to roam. The picture of the giraffes was on a savannah that was much larger than the one replicated at AKL, but still very similar.

Attachments

• 66A92AA1-453E-4B35-B6EE-F6CED8546F44.jpeg
    66A92AA1-453E-4B35-B6EE-F6CED8546F44.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 97D421B6-7B49-4369-BF0F-04D5A159191A.jpeg
    97D421B6-7B49-4369-BF0F-04D5A159191A.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 21
A friend told me it reminded her of a sad, urban zoo (like a low budget zoo you would see in a city). I loved the theming, restaurants and hotel itself but couldn't get over her description.. I got the same vibe! The savannah area seemed sad and lackluster to me too, even though I LOVED AKL and AK overall. I didn't feel the same way about seeing the animal viewing areas at the actual theme park but something about the hotel's savannah didn't seem great to me.

I am going to have to disagree quite strongly. There's no train rattling in the background or trash on the ground, and the animals are plentiful and well taken care of. It masterfully combines being sleek and modern, while infusing and respecting African culture. While I love and prefer the animal trails, there is still a responsibly dense variety of animals at AKL. Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

The first time I saw a giraffe walking slowly through the moonlight (yea, I know it is fake) in the middle of the night, I actually teared up. I don't get a chance to see that sight in my normal life, and never at an urban zoo. AKL is breathtaking - to me! Everyone has their opinion.

But I can see why others might feel it is dark at times, as well as off the beaten path. Even though we loved both our stays at AKL, it isn't my first choice if I am looking for that bright Florida feel to vacation.

I think it really depends on the individual and what you like. I adore AKL, so does the entire family. We find the decor refreshing and calming after a day in the parks. The pools at both buildingas are beautiful, with a lush tropical feel. We also enjoy the decor at Wilderness lodge. By contrast, we find the Grand Floridian too bright and formal for our taste. We don't feel that we can really relax. We don't care for the decor at the Contemporary either. Entirely too harsh.

We find the animal areas to be very well done, and nothing at all like a city zoo. The hotel blends seamlessly into the savannah. The animals are well taken care of and free to roam.

We just had our 5th stay there. We love it! It's very relaxing compared to some of the other resorts on site. The refurbed rooms are much brighter and less cluttered. The CM's are very friendly and always greet you with a smile. The food is awesome and I now love Pap with Chakalaka for breakfast. It has become our favorite resort.

I stayed club level at AKL once and will never do it again. Our room was directly across from the viewing area. When we sat out on our balcony everyone at the viewing area would watch us. We did see animals but since half our view was the viewing area it did not feel like a savanna at all.

Not depressing to us at all. We love AKL! Even when we've stayed offsite, we always made multiple trips there for Mara, Boma, Jiko, Arusha Rock, and even the Zawadi Marketplace gift shop!

Interesting thread. I can definitely see where this could be depressing for some folks. I went one time just to eat there, and I liked the theming less than I thought it would. It just seemed very dark.

Just want to address the view some have on it's "darkness". After being in the hot and bright sunshine at the parks all day, it's nice to come to a resort that is calming and less bright. We evacuated after this last hurricane and the only resort with rooms was Gran Destino. It was so bright it was hard on the eyes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter