Anyone else guilty of buying something else non essential

About to make a third trip to the garden center for flowers. I've finally got my must have list, instead of just buying on a whim. And yes, I've been buying lots of junk food and wine, so I guess I'll be ordering clothes online in the next size up any day now.

The only stores I'm walking into are grocery stores. I've moved my prescriptions to a drive-thru pharmacy. I've picked up food from local restaurants but only curbside. I've ordered stuff online. The one exception is our local bookstore. They're offering front porch contactless deliveries. I called them and requested books and puzzles. Not only am I supporting a local business but I'm getting it faster than I would from Amazon. I disinfected them before I brought them in.

Some can argue (sp) with that I do kindle it is automatically delivered

About to make a third trip to the garden center for flowers. I've finally got my must have list, instead of just buying on a whim. And yes, I've been buying lots of junk food and wine, so I guess I'll be ordering clothes online in the next size up any day now.

Garden centers have been forced to shutdown here.

Several weeks back I got an email from one about the seasonal 4-step lawn fertilizing system that we use being on sale, which is ordinary at this time of year, and the fact that they were both open AND already offering the option of buying online and doing curbside pickup. This was early March, before stay home orders. We took advantage, pulled up, showed the online receipt through the window and they placed it directly in our trunk. When my husband spread it on our lawn this weekend several neighbors called over wanting to know how we got it because the time is here and they don't have any access to getting any.

Yesterday I completed a survey for another garden center that I typically buy my plants from every year. It's a family run operation with an unbelievable amount of greenhouses where they begin growing lots of their stock from seed, something that was well underway in February. Now they're facing the prospect of not only not being open for sales, but potentially losing all of that inventory they've been tending for about two months now. They're looking for a way to approach the governor's office and request a means to operate via scheduled curbside pickups only and are trying to assess the interest of their customer base and the likelihood they will place orders.

It's OK to shop online.

It's OK to grab something while you are out buying groceries.

I feel it's not OK for the government to shut everything non-essential down and tell everyone to stay out of groups and to stay home to pile into the Lowe's garden section for your freakin flowers just because they have stayed open because your fridge or stove breaking is deemed essential infecting my exwife working without sanitizer being made available and no time being allowed to wash her hands so she is probably eventually going to pick up the virus and take it home to my kids.

That sounds like an issue your ex-wife should be taking up with her employer. I'm not sure ranting on the DIS is going to help her out very much.

As far as I see it, the stores staying open are able to keep their employees working. They do that by selling the products in they have in stock. If people don't buy then people lose their jobs.

Several weeks back I got an email from one about the seasonal 4-step lawn fertilizing system that we use being on sale, which is ordinary at this time of year, and the fact that they were both open AND already offering the option of buying online and doing curbside pickup. This was early March, before stay home orders. We took advantage, pulled up, showed the online receipt through the window and they placed it directly in our trunk. When my husband spread it on our lawn this weekend several neighbors called over wanting to know how we got it because the time is here and they don't have any access to getting any.

Yesterday I completed a survey for another garden center that I typically buy my plants from every year. It's a family run operation with an unbelievable amount of greenhouses where they begin growing lots of their stock from seed, something that was well underway in February. Now they're facing the prospect of not only not being open for sales, but potentially losing all of that inventory they've been tending for about two months now. They're looking for a way to approach the governor's office and request a means to operate via scheduled curbside pickups only and are trying to assess the interest of their customer base and the likelihood they will place orders.
Nurseries and places to get food and garden stuff (and sod/grass/fertilizer) realistically there are many ways to adjust the buying process that allows for low risk purchasing.

One of the places is a place that stocks sod, grass seed, a tiny bit of flowers, fertilizer, etc but also has seeds for food for gardening. You can purchase those over the phone if you want to and have them put it in your trunk (they already as part of their business model allow for you to have them put it in your trunk for fertilizer and the like if you want to).

Actually the news ran a story and one of the things that has become higher in demand is seeds and plants related to vegetables as people are thinking about costs and availability of such items in stores. And farmer's markets are delayed opening here so having more options to get such stuff isn't necessarily a bad thing.

The place that we got our drift roses we ordered online, and curbside picked up, they put it in the opened trunk and off we went. Didn't even get close nor had any contact with the employee.

That's how you see it I guess. You're always such a cynic though; it bleeds through your posts so much, so I don't take to heart your comments though of course you're able to express them; that is what discussion is all about so no worries on that front. It's just not going to change anyone's options so yup "you sure told us" :)
What is cynical about what I wrote? I wrote out my observations. Almost the entire country has shut down with the government telling us all not to go out except for essentials, so everyone is piling into Lowe's for non-essentials because they are open. Even on this forum, you all are crying for everyone to stay home, yet you respond to me negatively when I give the observation that hardly anyone is staying home and "social distancing" and instead are all in Lowe's buying paint and flowers helping Lowe's with record breaking sales.

You can't in 1 breath, as a society, cry that everyone needs to stay home, then collectively as a society run to Lowe's for flowers.

I have a friend on Facebook posts almost every hour something that is screaming stay home. One was very condescending listing all the things to do in crayon with a slash in it with "NO" written across in red. One of the things was going out for a walk. Just don't do it, protect other people, it's not about you, then the next post is pictures, "beautiful day for a bicycle ride" of her and her husband out on the trails with everyone else.

It's society that is cynical.

I’m expecting a lot of sales on nonessential items we work our way through April. Setting price watches with Camelizer.

What is cynical about what I wrote? I wrote out my observations. Almost the entire country has shut down with the government telling us all not to go out except for essentials, so everyone is piling into Lowe's for non-essentials because they are open. Even on this forum, you all are crying for everyone to stay home, yet you respond to me negatively when I give the observation that hardly anyone is staying home and "social distancing" and instead are all in Lowe's buying paint and flowers helping Lowe's with record breaking sales.

You can't in 1 breath, as a society, cry that everyone needs to stay home, then collectively as a society run to Lowe's for flowers.

I have a friend on Facebook posts almost every hour something that is screaming stay home. One was very condescending listing all the things to do in crayon with a slash in it with "NO" written across in red. One of the things was going out for a walk. Just don't do it, protect other people, it's not about you, then the next post is pictures, "beautiful day for a bicycle ride" of her and her husband out on the trails with everyone else.

It's society that is cynical.
I said you are a cynic..that's a frame of mind. In respects to your posts it just means you come at it from a certain angle consistently enough so responses of a certain tone aren't surprising that's not to say you aren't free to share your opinion and there are even times I agree with you.

I've already mentioned in other threads how I feel about stay at home..which ironically isn't far off from your opinion as far as describing the people harping about staying at home. However, you're blaming everyone on your ex-wife's issues at work. They are not one in the same. Contactless pickup of my drift roses at a local nursery are in no way responsible for lack of hand sanitizer being made available and no time being allowed to wash her hands. If your ex-wife picks up the virus it is as likely for her to pick it up when she opts to go out to get this or that, we all should be treating it like we can get it from everywhere, some places are more risky than others def. Your kids could pick it up from you, if you have shared custody (I forget if you do or don't) and pass it to your wife, your kids could get the virus from somewhere else and pass it on to your wife. This is the reality of the virus.

And agreed with others--if the conditions of your ex-wife's work is alarming you so much it's something you can take up with them. If her area is in a stay at home order you may have avenues for reporting a business that you feel violates the stay at home order though that depends on the conditions set forth. Your ex-wife should, if she feels her work is inadequately protecting her, be reporting to HR department or legal (at least that was the suggestion in my county). Purely my suggestions of course but ones that may alleviate the issues your ex-wife has at the present moment.

I've been buying plenty of non-essential things online. That in no way keeps me from sticking to the stay at home & social distancing orders. :) I bought things for Easter, things for my son's birthday, and things for the kids to use to keep busy---chalk and color pencils and such. DH bought himself a new game download, too.

I've picked up a few non-essential items (Easter basket stuff), but it was during a trip to Walmart for essential items.

I see nothing wrong with picking up some non-essentials if it's at a store you are already going to for essential items. Have a rough idea of what you want, don't touch everything, and get in and get out.

I also see no issue with ordering pick up or delivery of any items as it drastically limits contact and helps to keep places in business.

I think it is violating the spirit of the stay at home orders when people go to stores because they're bored/just to get out of the house. I have a relative who goes out to different stores several times a week simply to browse out of boredom. She's one of those people who will go up and down every single aisle in Walmart/Meijer/Target just to see if there are any new sales, grabbing items to inspect them then putting them back, flipping through products to grab the one in the very back, touching everything, etc. From talking to her on the phone, it sounds like her behavior has not changed with the stay at home order in her state. She told me about the 7 stores she went to in the span of 3 days just to see what was new/check out the kids clothes, etc but she didn't find anything she wanted. For perspective, this woman is my mother so she has no "kids" to buy clothes for. She has *never* bought clothes for my nephews and we live in a different state now so it would be impractical to buy anything for my kids (they don't need anything anyway, and if they did, I'd get it myself so I could ensure its something they'd like and would fit). There was zero need to look at/buy kids clothes, and she admitted she didn't need groceries or anything else when she went out. I've been telling her to stay home, but she won't listen.

It's things like that which drive me nuts.

I've picked up a few non-essential items (Easter basket stuff), but it was during a trip to Walmart for essential items.

I see nothing wrong with picking up some non-essentials if it's at a store you are already going to for essential items. Have a rough idea of what you want, don't touch everything, and get in and get out.

I also see no issue with ordering pick up or delivery of any items as it drastically limits contact and helps to keep places in business.

I think it is violating the spirit of the stay at home orders when people go to stores because they're bored/just to get out of the house. I have a relative who goes out to different stores several times a week simply to browse out of boredom. She's one of those people who will go up and down every single aisle in Walmart/Meijer/Target just to see if there are any new sales, grabbing items to inspect them then putting them back, flipping through products to grab the one in the very back, touching everything, etc. From talking to her on the phone, it sounds like her behavior has not changed with the stay at home order in her state. She told me about the 7 stores she went to in the span of 3 days just to see what was new/check out the kids clothes, etc but she didn't find anything she wanted. For perspective, this woman is my mother so she has no "kids" to buy clothes for. She has *never* bought clothes for my nephews and we live in a different state now so it would be impractical to buy anything for my kids (they don't need anything anyway, and if they did, I'd get it myself so I could ensure its something they'd like and would fit). There was zero need to look at/buy kids clothes, and she admitted she didn't need groceries or anything else when she went out. I've been telling her to stay home, but she won't listen.

It's things like that which drive me nuts.

Even before this I always went to stores with purpose went in grab then left

And stop with the stupid gloves people. Unless you take them off properly and change them every time you touch something, it's no different than not wearing gloves. Stopped at the convenience store on the way home from work. Guy had gloves on. He touched every item of the person in front of me, touched their card, touched the register, touched the counter, touched the receipt from the register, touched the bag he put the items in, then proceeded to do the same for me. All he did was potentially spread a virus around to everything rather than protect anything from a virus.

Couldn't agree more with this. People get a false sense of security. My parents and neighbor were talking today (don't worry, we were all sitting apart) about wearing gloves at the store. I said but you didn't clean off every bag/box that was brought into the house so those gloves on did nothing. They couldn't understand. But we had gloves on in the store so we didn't touch anything. Now, at least they took their gloves off and didn't drove home in them like I see alot of people in cars doing.

I wonder what the difference is here in how the governor's order is being interpreted. You and I are in the same state, but the garden center I use is reassuring customers that they will be open for spring planting as usual. Maybe they're being treated differently since they're also a working farm and a produce seller (both retail and wholesale)? Or maybe the family that owns the farm, who I know tend to be skeptics in matters of government authority, are taking the view that it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission? Honestly, I don't really care which one it is - I'm just happy I'll be able to get good plants for the season, rather than the poorly-tended hybrids our Lowes usually has.

It's somewhat arbitrary what businesses can stay open under most orders and what can't. I guess a garden nursery business has to close, but a Walmart or Lowe's garden section can stay open since the rest of the store sells "essential" items.

I need a new a wallet. Can't buy one at a department store or an outlet mall, but I can at a discount store or online retailer. These are absolutely weird times we have.

Other than groceries?. Garden Centers. Lots of stuff there to do ...Farm store which has mower stuff.. fuel weed eater stuff. Gun shop many times just to browse. Although I did buy a Glock. Walmart to kill time. Etc. It’s funny. If you goto the stores that are open. One can pass a lot of time. When I’m on duty. Kinda the same in between runs.... that and a lot of Netflix. Lol
Seems like early May .. Ohio be back in business. Hope so!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter